Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I think for most people it becomes an issue of greater concern when it is a on the coast. Right or wrong, many people fear a repeat of the BP fiasco down south. I realize that this discussion encompasses a lot more than offshore drilling, if it touches on that at all, but it is one thing that springs immediately to many people's minds, when discussing Alaska.

Again, I think the best response is education, and not insults. You dig?
Well, then as most people become educated about the portion of ANWR that has been allocated for any oil exploration, then they may realize that this area of ANWR is not hundreds of feet deep underwater. In fact, you can't even get there during the summer

But for Alaskans in general, once they start losing jobs, or just their homes because they can't afford paying their loans, perhaps then some will realize that our economy won't go very far without drilling for oil.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
Well, I appreciate your willingness to listen to me because I live here, but I am pretty sure there are people who want to live here, or who have in the past, who know far more about Alaska than I do. Their interest may not be as personal from a practical or financial point of view, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate their knowledge.

How do you feel about people from outside who are not "eco-freaks"? Are they also clueless?

I am not trying to pick a fight with you, but I do not understand your position that knowledge can be gained or lost for the price of a moving truck or plane ticket.

And actually, I have posted in forums other than the Alaskan ones, about places I used to live. I suspect a lot of people do it.
For those that want to live in Alaska, I am happy to answer any of their questions. Providing they do not presume to know more than the people living here. If they have lived in Alaska in the past, they may know what it is like, but their information is out of date.

The vast majority who have never been to Alaska are indeed clueless. As was I when I first arrived. Just about everything I learned about hunting and fishing in the lower-48, I had to relearn after moving to Alaska. I had no clue about Alaskan politics, until after I became involved. The sheer scope of what I did not know about Alaska when I first arrived was mind-boggling, thinking back on it.

Alaska is inundated with lesser-48er eco-freaks attempting to shut-down the State economically. They have already locked up 187,000 square miles (FYI: California is 163,695 sq. mi.) as "critical habitat" for the polar bear which is not even endangered. A Connecticut-based animal rights organization "Friends of Animals" has already cost Alaska millions in litigation in a vain attempt to protect wolves, but they apparently do not give a damn about moose or caribou. Listing the Beluga Whale in Cook Inlet as a "sub-spieces" in order to halt all off-shore oil development in Cook Inlet, even though there are more than 80,000 Beluga Whales world-wide and they are not endangered. There are hundreds of additional examples, from Greenpeace to the Green Party, and everything in between. No State in the Union has been, and continues to be, manipulated by outside forces more than Alaska. I was also ignorant of this fact, until I moved to Alaska.

The stark reality is that BP, Exxon, and all the other oil companies are not the biggest polluters in the State, and they never have been. The biggest polluter in the State was, is, and continues to be - the federal government.

There are entire islands in the Aleutians that are uninhabitable because of existing WW II unexploded ordinance. During the late 1950s there was a large mustard gas spill just south of Delta Junction. During the 1964 "Good Friday" quake the nuclear reactor at Fort Greely developed a crack in the casing that took almost a decade to clean up. Between the DoD, NOAA, and the myriad of other federal agencies in Alaska, the private sector cannot compete when it comes to polluting the State. Yet it is the private sector that is the most restricted, while the feds pollute at will.

Last edited by Glitch; 11-30-2011 at 01:12 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
the federal government.
Not to mention the White Alice sites across the state, PCP's, Asbestos, and many other pollutants are still around.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Not to mention the White Alice sites across the state, PCP's, Asbestos, and many other pollutants are still around.
There is some more, down the page to:
Quote:
Alaska
Information about Agent Orange and Diabetes, and help for Vietnam veterans

Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 AM

This is out near my mother's home village...they made a mess there!

DEC - Contaminated Sites Program - Site Summary - Cape Romanzof Long Range RADAR Site

Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
This is out near my mother's home village...they made a mess there!

DEC - Contaminated Sites Program - Site Summary - Cape Romanzof Long Range RADAR Site
That's a very good link. I had no idea that the State had such at their website. I remember watching a documentary at PBS about some of the lands near villages where spraying took place in the past.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:45 AM

It's statewide, take a look at the mess they left in Aniak!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:46 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
I have news for you. Women without kids would be in their asses, too, in terms of public assistance. And it seems like you expect society to take care of you while you tell society to go to hell in a handbasket.

You do not sound to me in the least like a person interested in justice of any kind, what you sound like is a spoilt brat who is angry with anyone who has something you do not. It's well and good for you to have luxuries, but god forbid anyone else does unless you are at the head of the line.

Now, go ahead and add me to your ignore list.

Sorry, I forgot to quote. This was intended for highlife2, but things are moving damn fast on here.

ahhhh you are an intelligent person! you catch on quick I see! 100% correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

The stark reality is that BP, Exxon, and all the other oil companies are not the biggest polluters in the State, and they never have been. The biggest polluter in the State was, is, and continues to be - the federal government.

There are entire islands in the Aleutians that are uninhabitable because of existing WW II unexploded ordinance. During the late 1950s there was a large mustard gas spill just south of Delta Junction. During the 1964 "Good Friday" quake the nuclear reactor at Fort Greely developed a crack in the casing that took almost a decade to clean up. Between the DoD, NOAA, and the myriad of other federal agencies in Alaska, the private sector cannot compete when it comes to polluting the State. Yet it is the private sector that is the most restricted, while the feds pollute at will.
Glitch and Warpt...keep putting this out there! there are sooo many that truly believe Alaska is this pristine, uncontaminated, unspoiled magical land when in fact our government/federal agencies are and have been the worse pollution dumpers ever in Alaska. In many places it could be termed a genocide of the natives.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,202,838 times
Quote:
I have news for you. Women without kids would be in their asses, too, in terms of public assistance. And it seems like you expect society to take care of you while you tell society to go to hell in a handbasket.

You do not sound to me in the least like a person interested in justice of any kind, what you sound like is a spoilt brat who is angry with anyone who has something you do not. It's well and good for you to have luxuries, but god forbid anyone else does unless you are at the head of the line.

Now, go ahead and add me to your ignore list.

Sorry, I forgot to quote. This was intended for highlife2, but things are moving damn fast on here.
I simply understand that the system will not help me if something happens so I have to look out for myself and do what is in my own best interests. Not a tough concept, might want to try thinking before you shoot off at the mouth. I have rarely heard of homeless women (I dont even hear of too many native women who are homeless), I believe a homeless woman can go to the covenent house and have an individual room, not sure the ins and outs of it but I am pretty sure even a woman without a kid is better off than a man.

Last edited by Rance; 11-30-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I simply understand that the system will not help me if something happens so I have to look out for myself and do what is in my own best interests. Not a tough concept, might want to try thinking before you shoot off at the mouth. I have rarely heard of homeless women (I dont even hear of too many native women who are homeless), I believe a homeless woman can go to the covenent house and have an individual room, not sure the ins and outs of it but I am pretty sure even a woman without a kid is better off than a man.
: smack::s mack::sm ack: ohhhh poor me once again.

Last edited by Rance; 11-30-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska