U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM

6,401 posts, read 6,757,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In reality his job is to represent Alaska first; the rest is part of his job to a lesser degree.
True, I should have stated it a bit different.

Unread 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM

12,230 posts, read 11,872,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
True, I should have stated it a bit different.
No problem since it's also true that representatives from other States often try to control Alaska form the Congress floor. In that respect you were correct, too.

Unread 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,624,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No problem since it's also true that representatives from other States often try to control Alaska form the Congress floor. In that respect you were correct, too.
True. But I think what Nephler was saying (and I know it's what I was saying) was in response to someone who said that Don Young isn't anyone's business who doesn't live in Alaska, which is obviously false.

We can't vote for (or against) the guy, and Alaska may be the biggest part of his job, but it's still of interest to lower-48 folks what he does up there on the Hill. Every time he or old Uncle Ted got a big bundle of money to take back up to Alaska, it was Federal taxpayer money, so that concerns everyone. Obviously everyone does it, but I must say that if Don is even close to how Ted was, he's taking home a lot of our money. But hey, lots of "us" go up to the slope and take home that money, so it goes both ways, eh?

Unread 12-03-2011, 05:39 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,394,442 times
Why Don't You Get Rid of Don Young?

It may well be against the law to use him as chum.

Unread 12-03-2011, 05:59 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,086,879 times
Herman Cain is now available to run against Don Young. See if you can lure him up to Alaska with some pizza and women.

Unread 12-03-2011, 06:05 PM

12,230 posts, read 11,872,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
True. But I think what Nephler was saying (and I know it's what I was saying) was in response to someone who said that Don Young isn't anyone's business who doesn't live in Alaska, which is obviously false.

We can't vote for (or against) the guy, and Alaska may be the biggest part of his job, but it's still of interest to lower-48 folks what he does up there on the Hill. Every time he or old Uncle Ted got a big bundle of money to take back up to Alaska, it was Federal taxpayer money, so that concerns everyone. Obviously everyone does it, but I must say that if Don is even close to how Ted was, he's taking home a lot of our money. But hey, lots of "us" go up to the slope and take home that money, so it goes both ways, eh?
I understood what Nepher was saying to the other poster, but I was only talking about Young's primary responsibility in relation to Alaska. That was all. As such, Don Young's primary responsibility is to the State of Alaska, for he is put in office by Alaska voters.

In relation to Alaska representatives bringing money to Alaska, so does every member of Congress for his or her State.

Unread 12-03-2011, 06:10 PM

3,787 posts, read 1,679,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I don't pretend to know all that much about politics, but the one thing I do know without a doubt is that if you are at the national level of politics, it is everyone's business and 100% relevant. He votes on items that can have an effect on the whole nation, not just Alaska. Sure he represents Alaska and what the people want but that is only part of his job.
A big part of his job is to influance national politics in Alaskas favor, thats what "representing Alaska" means, otherwise what would it mean for him to represent alaska on national matters?

Unread 12-03-2011, 06:13 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,066,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Herman Cain is now available to run against Don Young. See if you can lure him up to Alaska with some pizza and women.
now that's funny!! thanks for the laugh! 'ol Herman's philandering ways are coming out....like the "I haven't had a chance to talk to my wife regarding this"....ahahaaa wonder if she's got a cast iron fry'n pan on hand!

Unread 12-03-2011, 06:14 PM

Right.
Makes me think though with quite a few Freshmen, or just a couple years in, how they are doing with the old timers such as Young. I mean Young knows the ins n outs, how to barter and how to squeeze monies through the cracks to bring home.
That's one of the reasons Don Young will most likely keep being re-elected. He knows how to get things done, right or wrong.

Edit: This was to Ray's and Ship's posts.

Unread 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
A big part of his job is to influance national politics in Alaskas favor, thats what "representing Alaska" means, otherwise what would it mean for him to represent alaska on national matters?
That is the very reason it is everyone's business, everyone in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska