Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
I wounder how much each of them make per show?
For them hurting for money, some of them seem to have new trucks an trailers.
I've heard it's just a lump sum, then Todd has to pay for all of the equipment, supplies, fuel, "salaries", etc. Obviously they got more cash for the second season than the first - and went out a bought a bunch of new equipment - but it's clearly not enough for them to retire on. They are still busting their humps in the arctic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:08 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Never seen one like that before, looks like a really different approach from other designs. May work pretty well, but may be awhile before it gets online.
Yep, probably so. I would have changed the angle on the discharge shoot. It just didn't seem steep enough.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Yep, probably so. I would have changed the angle on the discharge shoot. It just didn't seem steep enough.
Well by the looks of it, there is enough angle on it now, it slopes downhill inside and the rocks are walked out the end. Fred spent so much time getting Todd's stuff dragged out, they should have just gone with it though, it was working, instead Fred spent $30,000.00 (all his money) on new stuff that he didn't know anything about. Don't think Fred was that sharp of a pencil either. That Money could have been a good Loader (and a starter for the backhoe) as a backup.

Kinda looking forward to seeing next week to see if they are going to clear off where the drill showed pay dirt. Wonder if they will use hydro to clean off the mud as well? The other mine was pushing away the mud with water, course that may be lost on Todd! :0)

Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
In today's news....
As other states wrestling with budget deficits roll back or rethink their own film industry subsidies, Alaska's program continues, so far doling out $13 million to a string of reality-TV shows and, increasingly, feature movies. Producers for movies big and small say it's a key reason they're here.

WHO'S BENEFITING THE MOST?
No more than 30 cents per dollar subsidized under the film incentives went to Alaska workers or businesses, according to applications approved by the state through Oct. 31 and provided earlier this month by the Commerce Department.
Alaskans are getting paid, the Commerce Department numbers show, but visiting workers are making far more before returning to their home states. (Unlike some incentives, Alaska's program does not place a cap on reimbursements for so-called "above-the-line" salaries for actors, directors and producers.)
For every dollar made by Alaskans, non-Alaskans made nine dollars on productions approved for reimbursement under the subsidy, according to the department.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/11/26/219033...#ixzz1evh10n4F

Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well by the looks of it, there is enough angle on it now, it slopes downhill inside and the rocks are walked out the end. Fred spent so much time getting Todd's stuff dragged out, they should have just gone with it though, it was working, instead Fred spent $30,000.00 (all his money) on new stuff that he didn't know anything about. Don't think Fred was that sharp of a pencil either. That Money could have been a good Loader (and a starter for the backhoe) as a backup.

Kinda looking forward to seeing next week to see if they are going to clear off where the drill showed pay dirt. Wonder if they will use hydro to clean off the mud as well? The other mine was pushing away the mud with water, course that may be lost on Todd! :0)
I agree with that. I'm thinkin' he shoulda brought a real mechanic in at the start of the season to give everything a good goin' over. But that's all part of the drama of the show. That's how it is in real life. Seems like you're ready to go and junk breaks down....

Old 11-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
In today's news....
As other states wrestling with budget deficits roll back or rethink their own film industry subsidies, Alaska's program continues, so far doling out $13 million to a string of reality-TV shows and, increasingly, feature movies. Producers for movies big and small say it's a key reason they're here.

WHO'S BENEFITING THE MOST?
No more than 30 cents per dollar subsidized under the film incentives went to Alaska workers or businesses, according to applications approved by the state through Oct. 31 and provided earlier this month by the Commerce Department.
Alaskans are getting paid, the Commerce Department numbers show, but visiting workers are making far more before returning to their home states. (Unlike some incentives, Alaska's program does not place a cap on reimbursements for so-called "above-the-line" salaries for actors, directors and producers.)
For every dollar made by Alaskans, non-Alaskans made nine dollars on productions approved for reimbursement under the subsidy, according to the department.

Read more: Wooing Hollywood with Alaska money: Arts | Alaska news at adn.com
Well if nobody came to Alaska to make movies, nobody would get paid. Then you have the spinoff money from people coming to Alaska to be crabbers and gold miners! Oh and Tourist just to see Alaska.

Nope, Alaska does pretty well! Even when the movie "Into the wild", there was a lot of money spent in Healy and other places for the crews and actors.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:58 PM

just interesting that the state can spend out this kind of money yet spent mega millions on a ferry, terminal etc that is now sitting idle due to lack of funds in S.E. Alaska....hummm...

Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I agree with that. I'm thinkin' he shoulda brought a real mechanic in at the start of the season to give everything a good goin' over. But that's all part of the drama of the show. That's how it is in real life. Seems like you're ready to go and junk breaks down....
Fred made a big deal that he was going to bring his own crew to work the mine. Which has transferred out to being him and a questionable father/son relationship. Going from a "high roller" to the cheap is pretty obvious he's got a lot of hot air. Sadly it seems the flood is going to really wipe him out in that he may not have flood insurance. The mine may be his only saving grace if in fact he can get to work it, since the Todd's found the gold before they got "Cancled"!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
just interesting that the state can spend out this kind of money yet spent mega millions on a ferry, terminal etc that is now sitting idle due to lack of funds in S.E. Alaska....hummm...

Well the state isn't suppose to be in business to make money, but they do make a lot of money for private companies that do support, catering, transportation, lodging and the big one is tourism!

Just the people that fly out to Dutch Harbor to walk the docks to look for an elusive "crabbing" job dump their "Outside Money" into the economy. Now we have Miners, Pilots And future Coast Guard enlisties and State Trooper wantabe's wanting to come here!

In the long run, I think it has been money well spent on Alaska by the State. Down side is that it brings too much attention to Alaska Beauty and we get a huge amount of the tree hugger types that want to "Save" the state from itself as well! In spite of the fact the State does a pretty good job on its own.

Course you have the Palin's that brought a lot of attention (and money) to the State with their exploits, both good and bad. That too was with the State's policy of discounts to the filming industry as well.

Over all I think of all the stuff that State has done in the past to promote Alaska, this working with the film industry has by far been better than not.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 PM

oh don't get me wrong Starlite....I have not said it is not a good thing...just wish more effort would be put into plans that assist funding for projects such as the ferry system that is now wasted money. This tax break for entertainment projects does benifit the state but more money going out than coming in...but they are just now releasing the figures.
wonder how much was actually paid to the participants of this show to perform for tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: