U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,683,786 times
Reputation: 3452

Advertisements

I guess I would like to say what "Being Alaskan" to me is about. I hear people saying "I'm more Alaskan than you"... who cares... I have welcomed thousands of folks here to Alaska, many on this forum.

There are people that first step foot in Alaska and love it with all their heart and soul and never want to leave, they are new Alaskans

Others come here and can't get out fast enough... and I hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out

There are some that have lived their entire life in Alaska and can't see the beauty of it, which is just sad.

Others come here as a place to work, put up with it's distractions to make a living and want to retire and leave, those are just fancy whores.

Some come here and are forced to leave because of things that they can't control and their heart never leaves, but they are still Alaskans.

There are those that come here with an agenda driven reason to save us and never took the time to learn about Alaska, it's history and to see what they are saving, they are just clueless and driven by someone else's values like sheep.

Having said that, being "Alaskan" is a frame of mind, you either have it or you don't. When the Northern Lights are out, I dress up in Arctic gear and sit outside in sub zero temps and the quiet to watch the show, done it for a lot of decades and can't get enough of them. That alone I guess makes me kinda odd...

I like to sit down by the lakefront on a foggy fall morning and watch the migration of birds come and go and listen to their calls as they get ready for a new day or the moose calling looking for a mate.

Flying in the early morning when the sun rises is beyond description as it bounces off the snow capped mountains, just pulling on the control yoke to leave the ground is a rush, never have gotten over it.

Hearing wolves howl in the early evening is music.

Seeing a Polar Bear inches away from your face as he peers in though a window while working in the oil fields

Taking someone to pan for gold and seeing their face light up when they first see "Color" in the black sand.

Having a job that pays well and being home is great! (Home being anywhere in Alaska)

I've got to watch Seals being chased down and eaten by Orca's, and watched bears chase salmon down streams, Whales breaching the water and splash down with the force of a bomb, that is Alaska to me.

What I don't like is people that come here and don't want to start a new life, they come to make it like "Their" home elsewhere. Or can't grasp that Alaska is unlike anywhere else on the Planet. We have been mining for gold, silver, fur and other items here longer than much of the history of the United States, it was just done by the Russians first in about 1648, while America was under British rule. Yet with all this activity, Alaska is still a fantastic place to be at, and still we get people that think we need to be saved... We do, mostly from those than can't understand what Alaska is about. All our activity is regulated by the State to preserve it as good as we found it.

One Earthquake here can do more damage than a hundred Pebble mines are claimed to be able to do, and yet you can't find any of the earth quake damage now if you don't know where to look. Volcano's will wipe out entire regions in min's. The Mines in the Copper River were not as big as Pebble mine will/may be, but they showed no restraint in dumping thousands of tons of highly toxic waste directly into the water shed, yet the Copper River Reds are some of the highest priced Salmon in the World. The State of Alaska has some of the most highly regulated mining laws around to ensure that nothing like the Copper River pollutions would be ever matched again. Yet I keep hearing how the new tree huggers are going to save us... by basically destroying what made Alaska, "Alaska"....

Alaskans all care about Alaska, they also know that Alaska won't be the same if it is locked up by people that don't have a clue of it's history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
868 posts, read 1,092,386 times
Reputation: 627
Hmm...what about those who came for reasons completely unrelated to Alaska itself, but are determined to learn about, and starting to love, their new home?

Teachable, potential Alaskans, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
1,786 posts, read 2,247,705 times
Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I guess I would like to say what "Being Alaskan" to me is about. I hear people saying "I'm more Alaskan than you"... who cares... I have welcomed thousands of folks here to Alaska, many on this forum.

There are people that first step foot in Alaska and love it with all their heart and soul and never want to leave, they are new Alaskans

Others come here and can't get out fast enough... and I hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out

There are some that have lived their entire life in Alaska and can't see the beauty of it, which is just sad.

Others come here as a place to work, put up with it's distractions to make a living and want to retire and leave, those are just fancy whores.

Some come here and are forced to leave because of things that they can't control and their heart never leaves, but they are still Alaskans.

There are those that come here with an agenda driven reason to save us and never took the time to learn about Alaska, it's history and to see what they are saving, they are just clueless and driven by someone else's values like sheep.

Having said that, being "Alaskan" is a frame of mind, you either have it or you don't. When the Northern Lights are out, I dress up in Arctic gear and sit outside in sub zero temps and the quiet to watch the show, done it for a lot of decades and can't get enough of them. That alone I guess makes me kinda odd...

I like to sit down by the lakefront on a foggy fall morning and watch the migration of birds come and go and listen to their calls as they get ready for a new day or the moose calling looking for a mate.

Flying in the early morning when the sun rises is beyond description as it bounces off the snow capped mountains, just pulling on the control yoke to leave the ground is a rush, never have gotten over it.

Hearing wolves howl in the early evening is music.

Seeing a Polar Bear inches away from your face as he peers in though a window while working in the oil fields

Taking someone to pan for gold and seeing their face light up when they first see "Color" in the black sand.

Having a job that pays well and being home is great! (Home being anywhere in Alaska)

I've got to watch Seals being chased down and eaten by Orca's, and watched bears chase salmon down streams, Whales breaching the water and splash down with the force of a bomb, that is Alaska to me.

What I don't like is people that come here and don't want to start a new life, they come to make it like "Their" home elsewhere. Or can't grasp that Alaska is unlike anywhere else on the Planet. We have been mining for gold, silver, fur and other items here longer than much of the history of the United States, it was just done by the Russians first in about 1648, while America was under British rule. Yet with all this activity, Alaska is still a fantastic place to be at, and still we get people that think we need to be saved... We do, mostly from those than can't understand what Alaska is about. All our activity is regulated by the State to preserve it as good as we found it.

One Earthquake here can do more damage than a hundred Pebble mines are claimed to be able to do, and yet you can't find any of the earth quake damage now if you don't know where to look. Volcano's will wipe out entire regions in min's. The Mines in the Copper River were not as big as Pebble mine will/may be, but they showed no restraint in dumping thousands of tons of highly toxic waste directly into the water shed, yet the Copper River Reds are some of the highest priced Salmon in the World. The State of Alaska has some of the most highly regulated mining laws around to ensure that nothing like the Copper River pollutions would be ever matched again. Yet I keep hearing how the new tree huggers are going to save us... by basically destroying what made Alaska, "Alaska"....

Alaskans all care about Alaska, they also know that Alaska won't be the same if it is locked up by people that don't have a clue of it's history.
I suppose if these things make you odd star... I must be just as odd... I certainly do not yet have to dress in artic garb yet but I wouldn't miss the opportunity to do so... I would not be yearning to move to Alaska if I wanted to make it like here.. that makes no sense. I guess I really won't know how I will do in Alaska until I DO IT...

I don't understand tree huggers.. and feel they need to experience Alaska like you Star before dictating what must be done. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
868 posts, read 1,092,386 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I suppose if these things make you odd star... I must be just as odd... I certainly do not yet have to dress in artic garb yet but I wouldn't miss the opportunity to do so... I would not be yearning to move to Alaska if I wanted to make it like here.. that makes no sense. I guess I really won't know how I will do in Alaska until I DO IT...

I don't understand tree huggers.. and feel they need to experience Alaska like you Star before dictating what must be done. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening everyone.
It happens. There are stories, only anecdotal at this point, about all the people who have moved to the southwest to escape their allergies. First thing they wanted was to plant green lawns in that desert, and now? They have hay fever in Phoenix and Tuscon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,683,786 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Hmm...what about those who came for reasons completely unrelated to Alaska itself, but are determined to learn about, and starting to love, their new home?

Teachable, potential Alaskans, maybe?
I think the main thing is to be open to new ideas and surroundings...

Being an Alaska Resident requires you to be here 12 calender months, but being Alaskan is more of a state of mind than anything else.

I know guys that have been here all their life and they care no more about their surroundings than a drunk in an alley.

Like I said, Alaska has been suppling resources in one form or another to the world for well over three hundred years and is still considered "Virgin", which it isn't, but it has been well managed for the most part with a couple of stumbles and setbacks, but still gives that impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,683,786 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
It happens. There are stories, only anecdotal at this point, about all the people who have moved to the southwest to escape their allergies. First thing they wanted was to plant green lawns in that desert, and now? They have hay fever in Phoenix and Tuscon.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

We have people that come here and live in a small community to get away from it all, and then can't wait to incorporate into a city and get elected, which of course then they need to collect taxes and such to build an infrastructure and appoint each other to offices to run stuff...

If you want city life, then move to Anchorage or stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 PM
 
Location: The end of the road Alaska
860 posts, read 1,664,142 times
Reputation: 1757
Here are a few things that will help figure out the difference between Alaskan friends and Other friends:


#1. Other friends never ask for food.
Alaskan friends are the reason you have no food.

#2. Other friends bring a bottle of wine to your party.
Alaskan friends bring enough wine for everybody then stay to clean up and sleep it off on your couch.

#3. Other friends will come to your house warming party.
Alaskan friends will help move you in and move you out and party both times.

#4 Other friends call your parents Mr. and Mrs.
Alaskan friends call your parents mom and dad.

#5 Other friends have never seen you cry.
Alaskan friends either make you cry or will cry with you.

#6. Other friends borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.
Aalaskan friends borrow your stuff so long they forget it's yours but are willing to loan it back to you anytime.

#7 Other friends know a few things about you.
Alaskan friends could write a book with direct quotes from you.

#8 Other friends will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing.
Alaskan friends will kick the butt out of the whole crowd who left you.

#9 Other friends will knock on your door.
Alaskan friends walk right in and say "I'm home".

#10 Other friends are for a while.
Alaskan friends are forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,683,786 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Here are a few things that will help figure out the difference between Alaskan friends and Other friends:


#1. Other friends never ask for food.
Alaskan friends are the reason you have no food.

#2. Other friends bring a bottle of wine to your party.
Alaskan friends bring enough wine for everybody then stay to clean up and sleep it off on your couch.

#3. Other friends will come to your house warming party.
Alaskan friends will help move you in and move you out and party both times.

#4 Other friends call your parents Mr. and Mrs.
Alaskan friends call your parents mom and dad.

#5 Other friends have never seen you cry.
Alaskan friends either make you cry or will cry with you.

#6. Other friends borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.
Alaskan friends borrow your stuff so long they forget it's yours but are willing to loan it back to you anytime.

#7 Other friends know a few things about you.
Alaskan friends could write a book with direct quotes from you.

#8 Other friends will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing.
Alaskan friends will kick the butt out of the whole crowd who left you.

#9 Other friends will knock on your door.
Alaskan friends walk right in and say "I'm home".

#10 Other friends are for a while.
Alaskan friends are forever.
Yep, those would work on the list as well.

It's funny to see people come to Alaska and call themselves "Alaskan's" right off the bat (I think that is great!), they want to be part of the entire aurora of the state. In other places, people travel from state to state and say they are from the state they came from, not their new home.

Alaska has that kind of positive effect on people.

Last edited by starlite9; 11-27-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
 
355 posts, read 390,553 times
Reputation: 132
I agree starlit.. whats the point of moving somewhere new to make it like your old place? If you liked it there so much why not just stay?

Some people i swear.. i hope to one day be able to call myself Alaskan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,683,786 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2AK4job View Post
I agree starlit.. whats the point of moving somewhere new to make it like your old place? If you liked it there so much why not just stay?

Some people i swear.. i hope to one day be able to call myself Alaskan!

Love to buy you a cup of coffee when you make it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top