Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,160,069 times

Advertisements

Yeah no kidding, my Newfie mix is always trying to get in my lap, but most the time it's just his head, and it weighs a ton on it's own. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
And you forget, they try to be 'lap' dogs LOL ... yes they are gentle giants.
Try? I have yet to keep my Buddy out of my lap when sitting on the couch. The best that I have managed in the last five years is to get him to only put one paw on my knee. He seems happy sprawled across my legs, even though I know he cannot be comfortable.

What I love are those crazy head "hugs" only mastiffs give. Where they first plant their head into your chest while you are laying down, then ever so slowly and gradually fall on top of you.

Every dog has its own unique personality, but I look for a more practical reason to own a dog or dogs. Every dog I have owned, except for Buddy, has been a hunting dog. I have been hunting since I was 8 years old. Buddy is my first mastiff.

I considered getting an American Pit Bull Terrier, but that did not make sense to me. If I am going to get a guardian breed, then I figured the bigger the dog the better the guardian. APBT only average 60-70 pounds. German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and Dobermans range from 80 to 120 pounds, and mastiffs range from 120 to over 250 pounds. I figure that if I expect a dog to protect me, it has to have sufficient mass to do the job. Most medium and large breed dogs are quite capable of incapacitating a human, but it was not humans that I felt I needed protecting. I wanted a giant breed.

At 130 pounds my Buddy is certainly not a big mastiff, but he is also a lot more active than most mastiffs, and I did not want to pay the $1,500 to $2,000 for a pure-bred English Mastiff puppy.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:18 AM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandog View Post
Lol. Ok I never said anything about fatalities concerning mastiffs but because thugs etc want a dog that's big. Intimidating and powerful bites. Mastiffs have the capability of attacks with there jaw power. They've already started breeding neopolitian mastiffs with this breed! Mastiffs will be next when people get bored with pit bulls.
They'll have to start killing people first..sorry that it's so hard for you to understand that there's a reason most people don't like your "breed of choice".

Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 AM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Quote:
Oh sweetie... I have bought my own place within 8 years I will own it WHILE living in Alaska. I WILL ALWAYS own pits and I'm obviously doing something right because my pit bull is 9 and both kids are alive and well you enjoy working at Burger king asking if they want fries with that and cleaning **** stains from behind your couch from your choice of yapper dog and me and my family THATS INCLUDING MY FOUR LEGGED KIDS we will continue to live fabulous and who knows.... I may save your life one day.

Good. You people who choose to have these things have no right to cry when people won't rent to you; I hope that you're telling the truth about being an educated and professional person who can afford your own home, but I'm having seriously doubts about that because of the sub literate quality of your posts and your obvious shortage of functioning brain cells. The rest of your snarlings aren't even worth addressing.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:45 AM

15 posts, read 13,303 times
So... ur saying neopolitians mastiffs would not bite... I do believe they helped fight along side the Romans and were used for GUARDING. Cane Corso MASTIFF are bred to guard houses. Dogo Argentins MASTIFFS were used for guarding. And to to "desperate fishwife" well...that pretty much sums it up doesn't it? Lmao. Narrow minded people will be the first to die off you lack common sense and ethical rights. I love all breeds and wouldn't join on any ban of dog because that conflicts with the right to pursue happiness but you don't know nothing about that. This is like beating a dead horse as someone mentioned earlier so have at it as fast as you reply I can tell your desperate fishwife position will never become nothing more then just that. Sooo I'm off to work and at the end of the day ill still have my breed and have my eyes open by the time you know what's happening it will be your breed next. Enjoy.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:49 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Try? I have yet to keep my Buddy out of my lap when sitting on the couch. The best that I have managed in the last five years is to get him to only put one paw on my knee. He seems happy sprawled across my legs, even though I know he cannot be comfortable.

What I love are those crazy head "hugs" only mastiffs give. Where they first plant their head into your chest while you are laying down, then ever so slowly and gradually fall on top of you.

Every dog has its own unique personality, but I look for a more practical reason to own a dog or dogs. Every dog I have owned, except for Buddy, has been a hunting dog. I have been hunting since I was 8 years old. Buddy is my first mastiff.

I considered getting an American Pit Bull Terrier, but that did not make sense to me. If I am going to get a guardian breed, then I figured the bigger the dog the better the guardian. APBT only average 60-70 pounds. German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and Dobermans range from 80 to 120 pounds, and mastiffs range from 120 to over 250 pounds. I figure that if I expect a dog to protect me, it has to have sufficient mass to do the job. Most medium and large breed dogs are quite capable of incapacitating a human, but it was not humans that I felt I needed protecting. I wanted a giant breed.

At 130 pounds my Buddy is certainly not a big mastiff, but he is also a lot more active than most mastiffs, and I did not want to pay the $1,500 to $2,000 for a pure-bred English Mastiff puppy.

Yes they have bigggg heads and paws. Our pit has tumors in her breasts, so far she is holding her own, but you know what that means. All of our dogs have been strictly pets who own us lol since we don't hunt. One day I'd like to own one of the gentle giants.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:18 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,251,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaRose View Post
The fact is there are a high number of pitbull attacks every year
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "high number." There are no reliable statistics on non-fatal dog bites by breed, but in 2009, 13 deaths in the US were related to attacks involving "pit bulls." In 2010 it was 19, a record year. If this was a disease you probably wouldn't have ever heard of it. To put this into perspective in terms of child safety, in 2009 1,770 children were killed by their caregivers, through abuse or neglect. I'm not trying to minimize these incidents, but I think understanding how rare these events actually are is important. And this also applies to attacks by bears, wolves, cougars, sharks, and so on. These attacks are violent and frightening, which is why people tend to obsess about them, but they are also very rare.

Regarding mastiffs, there was quite an outcry about the death of Diane Whipple, who was attacked by two Presa Canario/Mastiff dogs and there was plenty of fearmongering in the media at the time about that breed and other closely related breeds like Neopolitan Mastiffs and Cane Corsos. They're not very popular dogs though, so the frenzy kind of petered out.

Last edited by tigre79; 12-10-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Some of us (humans) are tame, while others aren't. Some of us bite, kill, and do all kinds of things dogs and other animals do. Why then should some of us whine about dog breeds we don't like?

The bottom line is that we humans can be as unpredictable as any dog around. All depends on the circumstances.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 PM

868 posts, read 1,413,943 times
Quote:
So... ur saying neopolitians mastiffs would not bite... I do believe they helped fight along side the Romans and were used for GUARDING. Cane Corso MASTIFF are bred to guard houses. Dogo Argentins MASTIFFS were used for guarding. And to to "desperate fishwife" well...that pretty much sums it up doesn't it? Lmao. Narrow minded people will be the first to die off you lack common sense and ethical rights. I love all breeds and wouldn't join on any ban of dog because that conflicts with the right to pursue happiness but you don't know nothing about that. This is like beating a dead horse as someone mentioned earlier so have at it as fast as you reply I can tell your desperate fishwife position will never become nothing more then just that. Sooo I'm off to work and at the end of the day ill still have my breed and have my eyes open by the time you know what's happening it will be your breed next. Enjoy.
Your incoherent, insulting, and vaguely threatening rants make you a poor advocate for your chosen breed. If I was opposed to people being allowed to keep pit bulls, I suspect the tone of your comments would only reinforce that position.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,160,069 times
From ADN today...

Alaska wolf-dogs get new California home: Alaska News | Alaska news at adn.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska