Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
That can be said for many other breeds as well. Many common family pets were historically bred for high prey drives or territorial behavior. Its very important for parents to teach children how to interact with animals, and I think it's also important that people not pretend that children never provoke animals.

Working in vet clinics and boarding kennels, I've met dozens of pits, most of whom shared homes with children, and haven't seen any of that sort of unprovoked aggression. I've seen it in other breeds like chows and shar peis and many, many spoiled little yappy dogs that can be quite dangerous for very small children. If it's innate in a breed you should see that behavior in a wide cross-section of them, not primarily in those that are owned by gang-bangers and other assorted idiots.

I do think that the one good thing about their reputation is that responsible owners are likely to make sure they're trained and well-socialized in order to prevent any problems, whereas many owners of other breeds just assume that their dogs are harmless.
I'm sure that you've seen the better, more responsible pit owners working in boarding kennels and vet clinics. And there seems to be a really healthy "pit bull rescue" movement that's admirable. But the flip side...well, I've lived among it.

The behavior of some parents and their children truly amazes me, by the way...a bit off topic so but so what...I can't tell you the number of times when I've been out with my wolf hybrid and some little kid has literally run up to him shouting "doggie doggie I want to pet the doggie" or some such, with parents smiling vapidly at their little darling. Parents need to educate their children better about approaching strange dogs.

It's probably unrealistic to think that phasing them out would ever happen...it would probably just result illegal, backyard breeding, dogs that are never taken to the vet, that sort of thing., and would possibly make the situation worse. This dog fighting business needs to be seriously cracked down on, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM

15 posts, read 13,540 times
And that's what they've done. And responsible petowners such as myself have suffered for it immensley. But to say a pit bite is worse then a great Dane bite how is that not equivelent? Both have caused fatalitiies butthere are no Dane bans anywhere. Or how about wolf hybrids. There are tons of people owning that breed which isn't even all the way a domesticated dog but peopleare still allowed to own them very few states have actually banned them and I'm not going after a certain breed because anything w a set of teeth bites but why should one breed suffer more then the other they all have the capability to kill a child or adult yet the pit breed is constantly harrassed and there the biggest cse for abuse.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandog View Post
And that's what they've done. And responsible petowners such as myself have suffered for it immensley. But to say a pit bite is worse then a great Dane bite how is that not equivelent? Both have caused fatalitiies butthere are no Dane bans anywhere. Or how about wolf hybrids. There are tons of people owning that breed which isn't even all the way a domesticated dog but peopleare still allowed to own them very few states have actually banned them and I'm not going after a certain breed because anything w a set of teeth bites but why should one breed suffer more then the other they all have the capability to kill a child or adult yet the pit breed is constantly harrassed and there the biggest cse for abuse.
How many Great Danes have fatally attacked humans or other pets in recent years?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 PM

20 posts, read 36,980 times
It has nothing to do with teeth. Yes, Great Danes have teeth and are capable of biting a person. Any breed is. A pitbull tends to lock onto the human/animal it is biting...and that is where the damage is done. A pit has incredibly strong jaws...as do rotties and german shepards.

This argument could go on forever. Be thankful you have pits that are sweet. I took a chance with my dog...and make no mistake, it was a chance. I am lucky he turned out so great. But there are others who have taken a chance on a pit or pit mix and did not end up so lucky.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
how a English Mastiff deals with annoying Chihuahua...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/C-FNfKZrSTs

Old 12-07-2011, 12:35 PM

15 posts, read 13,540 times
Idk on Danes if you have time you can Google it I know the great Dane breed was banned from akc. Events or registry for a long time due to there attitude. One of my clients own an 11 yr old chow never bit anyone. There supposed to be dangerous too she's a 68 yr old lady. The dog reflects the owner. If I were hooked to a small chain with no attention or lack of shelter. Food. Or water I would bite too. If the dog bites blame the incompetent owner not every Fido that an individual owns. Dobermans can do horrific damage. They have yet to be banned. Pit bulls are the hype now. Give it time it will be another dog. Hopefully not your breed of choice.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandog View Post
Idk on Danes if you have time you can Google it I know the great Dane breed was banned from akc..
I had time to google that and found nothing of the sort.

American Kennel Club - Great Dane

Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Just all the more reason to carry a CCW gun or spray, in the wild you never know what you are going to run in to. A bear, wild pack of dogs , wolves, coyotes pack or pissed off moose. Alaska is a very large place, you could fall beak an ankle and be days before you get out an you are easy pray for the wildlife.

Again, not preparing is preparing to fail.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph23 View Post
I was referring to your grammar. And what was your original screen name btw? Something about this is familiar...

Oh and I own a pit/lab mix. Biggest baby you've ever met. That doesn't change the fact that pit bulls account for a high number of fatalities/maulings in the US every year. .
I have had two run inn's with two pits inside the of the city limits and they both meet their maker.
The 10mm stop pit bulls dead in there tracks. Then both owners were charged with unsecured lose dogs.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Not true. It depends on the breed. Mastiffs, for example, are terrible at retrieving, and they suck at hunting, and they are more likely to eat your sheep than herd them. However, they make excellent guardians, and some Mastiff breeds love to pull and carry. They were not bred to fight other critters, they were the original "dogs of war." They were bred to fight other humans, but today they are "man's best friend."

Oh, I didn't mean that breeds are interchangeable...they certainly aren't. What I meant was that most dogs can be taught to retrieve a tennis ball, for instance...even though my hybrid has absolute disdain for that, he can do it. But on second thought I doubt that just any dog can be taught to herd sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska