Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times

Advertisements

OK...so this one went off topic like all the rest. I'll join in.

All dogs can be vicious. But i think some dogs are worse than others. I have two bites that left pretty good scars. One from a husky and one from a pitbull.

A friend was mauled on his chest and both arms by a police dog, It looked like a St Barnard but wasn't. Can't remember the breed. He was a policeman himself...not a criminal

A neighbor was mauled almost to the point of death by a Rottweiler that the police had to shoot to get it off her.

I have broken up fights between huskys 2X that I can think of that resulted in the death of one of the dogs.

Dogs bite, and are unpredictable. The bigger they are...the bigger the bite.

But I trust pitbulls less than any of them. The one that bit me gave absolutely no warning whatsover...no sound. Just an attack. If his owner wasn't there to get it off me it would not have ended nicely for it or me. As it is I just have this nice scar above my knee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandog View Post
Or how about wolf hybrids. There are tons of people owning that breed which isn't even all the way a domesticated dog but peopleare still allowed to own them very few states have actually banned them
Oh, they're banned in a few states all right...eight or nine, I believe, and all over the country there are county and city regulations concerning them.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Star. Your very right. I shouldn't have said that. I should have bit my tounge
But after years of the same issue on my breed of choice. Constant harrassment. Having to uproot my family and home due to the ridiculious breed ban I get a little sore when the pit bull subject is brought up and blasted awayso I apologize on my behalf on this subject and stay out of it. I just wish I could live in peace w my dog instead of going thru life defending the dog I chose to own.
Well the fact you like a pitbull as a pet and is your main choice is fine. But the reason you get so much flack from it is because as a breed they are the ones that have the worst reputation for attacking people and other pets. They are the breed of choice to protect drug houses and are used as pets by people that are up to no good as some kind of status symbol.

Should your dog even nick someone's child in play verses say a collie, a Jury in court would show you no mercy having that dog around children, regardless of how well behaved your dog is.

You may view the "Breed Ban" rediculous, but it is based in fact and fear most people have. BTW, if you are moving to Alaska, there is some bans on Pitbulls here as well, but it is local related so you may want to check it out where you are going.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:00 PM

15 posts, read 13,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh, they're banned in a few states all right...eight or nine, I believe, and all over the country there are county and city regulations concerning them.
In Arkansas you can own a wolf hybrid in the city but pitbulls are banned throughtout the state. Its a little twisted. I'm gonna find the Dane info as well

Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well the fact you like a pitbull as a pet and is your main choice is fine. But the reason you get so much flack from it is because as a breed they are the ones that have the worst reputation for attacking people and other pets. They are the breed of choice to protect drug houses and are used as pets by people that are up to no good as some kind of status symbol.

Should your dog even nick someone's child in play verses say a collie, a Jury in court would show you no mercy having that dog around children, regardless of how well behaved your dog is.

You may view the "Breed Ban" rediculous, but it is based in fact and fear most people have. BTW, if you are moving to Alaska, there is some bans on Pitbulls here as well, but it is local related so you may want to check it out where you are going.
Thts weird. I called the police station in anchorage
And thy said they uplifted the pit bull bans. Where are they banned?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
I'm gonna find the Dane info as well
Good luck with that. Great Danes are a recognized breed by the American Kennel Club.

Maybe you're misunderstanding this for an AKC ban, I don't know:

AKC and Great Dane Club agree.. Don't get a Great Dane - Nashville Animal Rescue | Examiner.com

Old 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
Quote:
They are going to be banned by a lot of landlords if you plan to rent. I think a majority of landlords ban them, it has to do with their insurance.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:17 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
you might find something on TheRealPitBull.com site....in some states you are denied homeowners insurance from certain insurance companies if you own certain breeds and if you can get homeowners insurance the dog breed with cost you a whole lot more....Alaskan Malamutes and Pitbulls were right on the top of the list...
interesting statistics

http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs.php

Seattle, Washington (April 22, 2009) -- DogsBite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks, releases its first multi-year report on U.S. dog bite fatalities. The report covers a 3-year period -- from January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008 -- and analyzes data gathered from 88 dog bite incidences that caused death to a U.S. citizen.
The report documents dog breed information, property information (where the attack occurred) as well as dog bite victim age information.
Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).
Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.....read more by going to the site above

Old 12-07-2011, 02:29 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Well if that is where your going, then you are good to go!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:38 PM

I just called the anchorage police again to double checkand they say they arnt banned I will be buying a home I figured I couldn't rent w a pit and 130lb rottie lol how much do houses go for around there in anchorage or surrounding areas. Craigslists postings are high but there like that in my state. Are there alot of anti pit bull people out that way. I hope not. Meekos a good boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska