Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times

Advertisements

Since the teacher that was killed by wolves out in Western Alaska, there seems to be a lot of interest in wolves, so I figure I would add some other stories were wolves attacked either people or pets. Feel free to add any other stuff you might have.

Might warn you though, if you've never seen nature in action, this may be a bit graphic for you and maybe you should go to some other thread.

First one is three women that were jogging with their dogs on a leashes out by Eagle River. The one with the pepper spray "Rainbow Sprayed it", which is between really stupid and idiotic... You spray it in the face or direction of the animal when close, she never read the instructions... so it didn't do much good.

The wolves wanted to eat their dogs...

Wolves become increasingly violent towards humans, pets - YouTube

Wolves driving a grizzly off a kill

young grizzly vs wolves - YouTube

Wolverine going after a lone wolf

Wolverine vs Huge Male grey wolf. As usually wolf runs like the wind, if he doesn't hell die. - YouTube

No Attack, but kinda funny and scary if your the police officer outside...

Wolves Attack Police Officer!!! - YouTube

Cow Moose tries to protect calf against wolf attack in Denali National Park

wolves attack moose, Denali - YouTube

Last edited by starlite9; 12-09-2011 at 02:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 AM

811 posts, read 1,317,565 times
Somewhere in Alaska a moose was swimming across the river and had very large brown hump on its back, when to the other side it collapsed. Well that large hump on the back of the moose was Wolverine ripping chunks out of the moose's neck. It was out for the guys to see so they took there boat over to see what happened and the Wolverine was holding his ground. I thought I seen it on you tube or outdoorsdirectory.

Small 70lbs critter takes down a 800lb-1400lb critter.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 AM

275 posts, read 579,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
No Attack, but kinda funny and scary if your the police officer outside...

Wolves Attack Police Officer!!! - YouTube
I remember seeing this clip in Europe. It was part of a viral advert campain for Eristoff Vodka, which has a slogan that it is from "the Land of the wolf”

They had a bunch of different ads featuring packs of wolves running around and people being scared.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:37 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
I am always surprised when people (the women notably) don't carry a weapon. Pepper spray....seriously? Here in Cali the end game is a fact of life daily.

Adults can't have a weapon close to them outside in the wild, in the city anywhere except your frickin' bedroom. And in the vehicle the unloaded weapon must not be within reach and it must be in a case and separated from the ammunition. There are big animals here in the wilderness, big cats, wolves and on and yet people are told not to defend themselves.

.....And the criminals, rapists, drug addicts and murderers? Oh, THEY have a loaded weapon on their person 24/7/365. Why someone did not figure this out before is a function of the radical PC do gooders who know absolutely nothing, who ride my bumper here with impunity, are mouthy to every one, and who are always right, proper and weak.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 PM

I've seen a lot of death in the wilds of Alaska, mostly the aftermath, but nature is a pretty rough place to be. Most people think Alaska is something like the 70's TV show "Grizzly Adams" or Disney show where all the animals work together to save each other!

In reality, life is short and very brutal! I had the honor one time to see a pod of Orcas (killer Whales) kill about an 800 lb sea lion. They played catch with it while it was bellowing being thrown in the air. That sounds pretty horrible, but it happens all the time, daily...That is real nature at work!

In the modern world nobody slaughters their own food, it is done somewhere else and all they see is a neat little plastic package in the store, so they think it is all fine in the world.

When you go into the wilderness areas, it is very pretty and people wander off all the time and come back just fine, so they assume carrying a gun or pepper spray is a waste of time.

There was a guy about twenty years ago (his diary was publised in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner) that was dropped off by plane in the arctic, short story is starved almost to death and killed himself with his last shell. In his diary when he first arrived he had boxes of ammunition, but felt stupid for bringing so much of it, so he threw the boxes out into the Lake he was by. In the diary, he regretted that action as he faded.

When a plane did fly overhead, he thought he was rescued as it flew by, so he waved one arm, which told the Pilot he was OK so he flew off. Again in his diary he realized that and again regretted not waving both arms.

You really need to be aware of your surroundings, even if its just a shopping mall, bad people will stalk you as well, it's in their nature and they look for people not paying attention, not much different in the Wilderness!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:28 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I've seen a lot of death in the wilds of Alaska, mostly the aftermath, but nature is a pretty rough place to be. Most people think Alaska is something like the 70's TV show "Grizzly Adams" or Disney show where all the animals work together to save each other!

In reality, life is short and very brutal! I had the honor one time to see a pod of Orcas (killer Whales) kill about an 800 lb sea lion. They played catch with it while it was bellowing being thrown in the air. That sounds pretty horrible, but it happens all the time, daily...That is real nature at work!

In the modern world nobody slaughters their own food, it is done somewhere else and all they see is a neat little plastic package in the store, so they think it is all fine in the world.

When you go into the wilderness areas, it is very pretty and people wander off all the time and come back just fine, so they assume carrying a gun or pepper spray is a waste of time.

There was a guy about twenty years ago (his diary was publised in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner) that was dropped off by plane in the arctic, short story is starved almost to death and killed himself with his last shell. In his diary when he first arrived he had boxes of ammunition, but felt stupid for bringing so much of it, so he threw the boxes out into the Lake he was by. In the diary, he regretted that action as he faded.

When a plane did fly overhead, he thought he was rescued as it flew by, so he waved one arm, which told the Pilot he was OK so he flew off. Again in his diary he realized that and again regretted not waving both arms.

You really need to be aware of your surroundings, even if its just a shopping mall, bad people will stalk you as well, it's in their nature and they look for people not paying attention, not much different in the Wilderness!
That's right...what was that guys name? I remember reading that.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
That's right...what was that guys name? I remember reading that.
It was before McCandless or about the same time. In about 1992.

His diary was printed a couple pages a day in the newspaper in Fairbanks and maybe Anchorage even.

Will see if I can find them... Was more interesting than Mc Candless too.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Yes...I remember reading that...very interesting. Probably could have been rescued several times over. Another case where they make a movie out of something and now it's history, while this guy is just forgotten. Someone will write his story someday maybe.

I had a job in the 80s microfilming the old books and newspapers in the archives at UAF. Old leather-bound whalers journals, newspapers from the turn of the century... etc. Of course I was all alone in the dark room and I just had to read some of that stuff. One of them was a little book about 2 inches by 3 inches that an old prospector used for a journal written with an indelible pencil. He wrote how he hurt his leg and was having a hard time getting around. He couldn't go get firewood, and how he was getting colder because of his "bum leg". finally he willed everything to one of his friends...the last entry just said something about not being able to write anymore. Then someone entered that they found the journal with his body in his cabin. Someone should publish that...it's on microfilm in Fairbanks somewhere.

Lots of old stories like that. Most of them we never hear about.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 10,367 times
it is done somewhere else and all they see is a neat little plastic package in the store, so they think it is all fine in the world.http://www.uklv.info/g.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska