Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 PM

868 posts, read 1,413,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
are you oven baking or bread machine??
At the moment, neither, although bread machine would be more feasible when I can find one on craigslist. I want to keep the recipes for later use. My current kitchen is pretty lacking, just a small fridge, hot plate, and slow cooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
At the moment, neither, although bread machine would be more feasible when I can find one on craigslist. I want to keep the recipes for later use. My current kitchen is pretty lacking, just a small fridge, hot plate, and slow cooker.
have you searched freecycle in your area??

Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
What kind of knife do you use to carve.......your bread?

Suddenly wants homemade bread.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post

long serrated Lampson Goodnow (Lampson Sharp) knife!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,738,637 times
Quote:

It's called a 'bread knife'!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,367,914 times
Quote:

You can also just break it up with your hands jk.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
have you searched freecycle in your area??
I check it now and then, but the guidelines for most freecycle sites are that you give a couple of times before asking for anything, and I really don't have much to of use to offer.

I used freecycle a lot in my hometown, had a lot of things hauled away and got some meat for my dogs when people emptied their freezers for deer season. It seems to have been a much more active program there, even though Anchorage is larger.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 PM

21 posts, read 55,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
There is no finer aroma or smell in the world than walking to a home with the smell of fresh baked bread coming out of the oven.

Here is a very simple recepie I have been using for 30 years time. It only takes less than 15 minutes to prepare the dough and mix it all up properly.

Five pounds of unbleached white flour

One restrauant type sugar container full of sugar

one tea spoon of salt (I never use salt)

IN SEPERATE CONTAINERS you will need SIX cups of liquid.

2 cups of water @ 100 - 110 degrees to dissolve and activate the 3 small packages of rapid rise yeast.

4 cups of water @ same basic temp for mixing milk ( I use powdered milk)

Combine all dry ingredients FLOUR, SALT, SUGAR, and mix by hand throughly.

Make a big hole in the center of your bowl and pour in about a cup of vegetable oil.

Add about cup of vegetable oil first.

Then the 2 cups of liquid with the dissolved yeast which can be actived a bit faster by adding a little bit of sugar to the mix. then pour in the 4 cups of milk @ 100 degrees or so, to prevent the yeast from cooling down too quickly.

Mix throughly and knead the dough to the proper texture. Cover with towel and place the bowl high and let the dough double in size. Then punch down the dough and knead for a minute. Fill the muffin pans 1/2 way with dough.

Total yield - 4 dozen biscuits and 2 loaves of bread.

PUT them up high to rise for about an hour! Once they puff up and rise - the next step: into a preheated oven @ 325 degrees for exactly 20 minutes. Slightly longer if you want that 'cookie' to be just a little bit crunchy!*

This is the best part - insert into oven and wait until you smell that smell permiate the entire home!! Hmmmmm! talk about mouth watering!!

When it is time to remove the pans from the oven; The very first thing is to brush the tops of the biscuits with vegetable oil. This prevents the tops from becoming 'hard'.

Yummy; mmmmmm good. Whoa what a smell!! Do not place biscuits in a plastic bag until they have all cooled down; otherwise they will 'sweat' and become 'wet'!

Cu them open & butter them up. Delicious!

Inupiaq people have a completely different way of eating what we call biscuits.

They remove the top in one piece and eat that portion first. Then on the bottom half they use fingers to remove all the bread in the middle. The sides are broken off and eaten next - LEAVING ... the best part of the whole biscuit - *that bread like 'cookie' at the very bottom!

Have a very great holiday - be safe - have fun with lots and lots of LAUGHTER!! (laughter is the most important part!)

I love that butter in the bread. Looks so good to eat.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
You can also just break it up with your hands jk.
Actually, this is what I usually do, when the bread is fresh and warm. Tear off a hunk, and if I am really motivated, slap on some butter, and maybe honey. But often as not, nope.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
You can take the same dough and make assaliaq, fried bread!

Fry Bread*101 « Anonymous Bloggers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska