U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,342 times

Advertisements

Awesome!! Thanks for the advice everyone. I thought they would be okay, but yea don't want an eagle flying off with the little ones. I'll keep 'em close and on leashes. Thanks!!
And here's some advice for the former Chicagoan that now lives in Texas.
We lived for a little while in the Anchorage area, which is warmer than Fairbanks.......So this might not be that helpful. I think Chicago winters are just as nasty, Anchorage was just more consistently cold and longer obviously. But yea, unless you wake up early in Chicago, there's not much daylight in the winter here either, it gets dark at 4pm. And last winter was just crazy in Chicago. So, i'd say if you like the weather in Chicago, just expect that but colder and darker and longer. Cheers!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,728,401 times
i read one of yall say to never leave your dogs outdoors alone there. but would it be safe to have a doggy door to a fenced back yard?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,925,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
i read one of yall say to never leave your dogs outdoors alone there. but would it be safe to have a doggy door to a fenced back yard?
if it is a small dog....put a topper on it...wire screen the whole top unless it is a dog large enough that an eagle will not snag it!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 PM

15,009 posts, read 25,343,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Are you serious, that he runs loose?
We go out with him but yeah he's loose. None of that tied to a leash whilst trying to pee for me!

It's not like eagles are circling overhead like vultures just waiting for little dogs. I'd be more worried about a small dog outside over night than during the day. Owls are more ferocious in my neighborhood than eagles.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 PM

how small? i have a boston terrier, ****zu and pug. all weigh about 20-25lb.
and with a big backyard, a topper wouldnt be practical..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
if it is a small dog....put a topper on it...wire screen the whole top unless it is a dog large enough that an eagle will not snag it!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM

871 posts, read 660,325 times
Quote:
how small? i have a boston terrier, ****zu and pug. all weigh about 20-25lb.
and with a big backyard, a topper wouldnt be practical..
What about putting in a dog door that leads to a small enclosed run outside, with protection overhead? That would be less expensive than fencing your whole yard, anyway, if you're going to have a big one.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 PM

ah good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
What about putting in a dog door that leads to a small enclosed run outside, with protection overhead? That would be less expensive than fencing your whole yard, anyway, if you're going to have a big one.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 PM

871 posts, read 660,325 times
Quote:
ah good idea!
The right setup might even allow you to give the run some protection from the snow and wind. Most dogs like to play in the snow, but having it tracked all over the house may not be something you want to deal with every time they need a potty break!

I would also suggest getting a solid insert that can be slid into the frame of the door to block egress when you think it's best to keep the dogs from going outside unsupervised. You may, sometimes, at least until they get acclimated to the winters here. That will also cut down on drafts in your house.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 AM

yep. and the doggy door i use, comes with an insert to close it. what i usually do, is buy a door, that way i am not drilling into a rental house door, and when i move out, i just hang the original door back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
The right setup might even allow you to give the run some protection from the snow and wind. Most dogs like to play in the snow, but having it tracked all over the house may not be something you want to deal with every time they need a potty break!

I would also suggest getting a solid insert that can be slid into the frame of the door to block egress when you think it's best to keep the dogs from going outside unsupervised. You may, sometimes, at least until they get acclimated to the winters here. That will also cut down on drafts in your house.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:58 AM

369 posts, read 533,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W. View Post
... And last winter was just crazy in Chicago. So, i'd say if you like the weather in Chicago, just expect that but colder and darker and longer. Cheers!!!
Hello!

Thank you for the advice. I am going to make a quick new thread topic with my arrival information. Yay.

Jen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska