U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 AM

6,272 posts, read 7,674,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Mark, I've done that before too. I stopped at a store one new year's eve a few years ago and there was a homeless couple outside hitting up people for spare change..clearly for booze. I gave them a couple of bucks...what the hell, let them celebrate, it didn't hurt me any.

One time a somewhat respectable looking woman approached me in a parking lot and wanted to ask me a question...I thought she wanted directions, whatever, and she asked for a couple of bucks. So I gave it her, and again, it didn't hurt me any. The last time I was hit up was by a young hippie looking couple outside a store here and I gave them some cash. But I get hit up so seldom that it's always a surprise to me.

Well it may not hurt us to give, but it may them to get!

They go out and get drunk and may freeze to death, get mugged and the list goes on.

I guess I want to help, but not help their demise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 01:32 AM

305 posts, read 292,984 times
Twenty or more years ago in Ketchikan I handed a $20 to a one-armed man panhandling in the rain by the old jail. I saw him a few days later totally snockered on the ferry. Soured me, but then I had given freely at his request so we were equals. If the sign says "will work," I'll take a name, but they don't always give one. If they don't give, neither do I. And I won't hold up traffic, but motion them over and out of the way. Again, if they aren't interested, neither am I.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 AM

14,838 posts, read 24,507,908 times
More often than not, there are those that do this for a living. There was a documentary about it a few years ago. Many of these guys drive expensive cars which they keep parked a few blocks away from where they do their panhandling, and live in decent homes which they drive too after a days work of panhandling. It really gives those that are in dire need of help a bad rap.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 AM

21,002 posts, read 21,936,643 times
Didn't Anchorage make illegal to panhandle?

Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 AM

6,419 posts, read 7,334,925 times
There was, maybe still, a guy that would hangout at the entrance of McDonalds in Wasilla. He had a sign that just read, "need money". Seems like he was there all day, every day.

For awhile, there was an older fella and maybe his son that would stand at the entrance of Freddies, also in Wasilla. The difference with these two is the sign they had read "Need Work". Not sure if they got pushed on or what, but they were only there for about a month or so. Hopefully they got work.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 AM

4,323 posts, read 1,372,214 times
I have stories galore, ( I love to give) but I will spare you the many details.

When someone asks me for money; I ask them for more than what they asked for; and in one instance the person actually forked it over!! He asked me for a quarter and I got upset and said I wanted to ask you for a dollar - he gave it over!

I love helping people; but I will not give them $$. As we all know and have experienced they will just use it to stay in that stupor of a condition! That's not helping them by keeping them in that condition. What do you need ? What do you want ? most of the times it is 'tobacco'. FOOD is usually the last thing these people want or need. They are professionals - they know all the angles. Tried & tested with years or decades of experience. My favorite thing to do.. is spend time talking with these people. I give them what they need.. .. ADVICE.. based on decades of experience.

Last edited by SityData; 12-28-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 AM

15,861 posts, read 15,309,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well it may not hurt us to give, but it may them to get!

They go out and get drunk and may freeze to death, get mugged and the list goes on.

I guess I want to help, but not help their demise...
You know, I never thought about it that way. But...it was in Oregon and no chance of them freezing on that night at least.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 AM

4,323 posts, read 1,372,214 times
I know a lot of these people personally by name; One nameless woman who is quite attractive; has been drunk and sleeping outside every winter for more than four years. Believe it or not... She was once the SUPERVISOR... overseeing everything in Social Services Dept..of a 'certain organization. She is quite happy and content doing what she wants (with complete strangers) and enjoys her lifestyle as a drunk despite getting the living daylights beaten out of herself on a regular basis.

There is only one way to really help people in this type of condition - you can't give them out of your pocket - you have to reach inside... their heart!!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 AM

3,685 posts, read 3,853,107 times
I won't do the handouts either - I've seen the same things as others have mentioned here happen. Also, there was scam down here where they asked for a quarter or dollar as an excuse to see if you had cash on you. If you did they beat and robbed you. I am sure there are a few homeless who are legit - and to those I say go to the shelters and get SAFE help. I have donated food and time and my taxes help fund them too. Typically, anyone asking for a Job or Food doesn't want either, just "free" money. And if you give it to them it gives them an incentive to stay in the street begging for it.

Some get downright aggressive - one of the reasons I always travel armed. Thankfully, I have only had to show it once and have never had to use it. The summer of 2010 I was approached several times at gas stations and rest stops on my annual summer driving vacation. EVERYONE asked for at least $20 - although I give the one guy credit for being unique in asking if he could fill his car up on my credit card. I had a lady once tell me that she had an emergency at her house and needed to get home right away - and the bus would take too long and wanted $40 for cab fare. I start off polite and tell them anything I give you takes food off my table and clothes off my kids back.

Something must have changed this year as I drove the same route this past summer and didn't get approached once.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM

5,964 posts, read 6,923,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
There was, maybe still, a guy that would hangout at the entrance of McDonalds in Wasilla. He had a sign that just read, "need money". Seems like he was there all day, every day.

For awhile, there was an older fella and maybe his son that would stand at the entrance of Freddies, also in Wasilla. The difference with these two is the sign they had read "Need Work". Not sure if they got pushed on or what, but they were only there for about a month or so. Hopefully they got work.
The one by McDonalds was there this past summer. He seems to alternate between Palmer and Wasilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska