U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,393,294 times
[quote=LittleJazzyP;22300590]I haven't seen it often, but I remember one time in my home town seeing this. It was August, and very hot. The man looked too warm, the dog was clearly suffering. They were on the sidewalk at a strip mall, and I went back into the store and got some good street food for the man, a bag of food for the dog, and a bowl and a couple of bottles of water for both of them. It turned out (I talked to this man for a while), that he had a regular place he camped, but had gotten stranded away from it. We had a terrible storm that night, and I was worried about the two of them. I called my parish priest, as I was a very active Catholic then, and he went to look for them to offer them shelter, but they were gone.

A few years later, I read in the paper that the man had died. I remembered him because they described that dog, who had been his constant companion. I guess he was a rather well-known person among the homeless in our town, a bit of an advocate for others less articulate than himself. I only met him the one time, but I was saddened to hear of his passing.

I wonder, sometimes, how many people stay on the street because they are unwilling to abandon their four-legged companions? I suspect there are many.[/quote]

By the same token, there are many women (and probably men too) that won't leave an abusive relationship for the same reason. Either they will have to leave the animal behind or else the abuser uses it as leverage, threatening to injure or kill the animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 02:54 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,423,173 times
I've never met any homeless person that has a pet with them in Anchorage.

These people can't take care of themselves never mind an animal.

Plenty of homeless couples, but I don't ever remember any one with a pet.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,421,931 times
There was a homeless couple with 2 dogs in Wasilla, but I only saw them for about 3 weeks. Not sure if they some how moved on, got jobs and a home, don't know.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,671,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I told him to go pawn his nice looking bike if he needed money that bad, or better yet cycle himself around and apply for some jobs we had seen as help wanted posters in a couple windows nearby.
He just said thanks but no thanks and rode off.
No doubt a budding politician. Panhandlers and politicians share the same DNA.

Neither want to work.

Both are always bumming for money.

Both lie.

Both say they need the money for one thing yet spend it on another.

Both are public parasites.

So next time you're thinking about giving money to a bum ask yourself if you've give that same amount of money to the guy/gal standing on the corner every morning dressed to the nines with a sign that says Vote for Me.

If you would then give the bum some money. Fair is fair.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:32 PM

4,275 posts, read 2,238,278 times
Im pretty sure its illegal in anchorage now too as it backs up traffic and causes accidents. People have better things to do than sit in traffic, and that frustration can lead to accidents.

On another note I do not think there are really places in Alaska that really help people get back on their feet, I know of no where other than brother francis shelter where one can stay if you are lagitimatly trying to get back on your feet and the shelter is a cesspool where theft and other petty crime runs rampant so why would an ex employed person go there. Plus its on a rotation basis so not all that useful other than for transient drunks.

There really are no good charities or gov programs that provide lagit housing for thoes that lost a job or have lagit hardship (ie a private living space where you can lock up belongings and sleep). The govt shaves off a significant portion of ones income but yet they provide no service to thoes that can prove a lagit hard ship.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 PM

3,747 posts, read 3,979,818 times
I don't give politicians money other than what I have to... As I do pay my taxes. My taxes are supposed to help those in need and provide some oversight into how it is spent. Plus, it provides jobs to those that run the places.

There was supposed to be a pilot program in the City of Miami where you could donate money to the homeless in "parking meters". The City didn't want you giving money to people begging on the street, because it is dangerous and it "keeps them around." I haven't followed up on it, but I also haven't noticed any meters on the few occasions I go into the City.

I am not a heartless person -- but I have all too often seen other side of this and the good Samaritan is the one robbed, hurt, or even worse killed. At least that is how it goes here, can't speak for AK.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,425,452 times
There was a man that looked homeless that was downtown on the 6th and Gst area for a while that had a dog. Pretty sure this was the man that pissed of Mayor Sullivan.
It is now illegal in Anchorage to sit on the sidewalk. Not sure if it was rescinded or not.

Quote:
First introduced by Mayor Dan Sullivan and passed by the Anchorage Assembly last month, the law makes it a crime to sit or recline on downtown sidewalks from 6 a.m. to midnight during the week and until 2:30 a.m. on weekends. Under the law, panhandling after dark and obstructing pedestrian or vehicle traffic downtown is also illegal. An attempt to rescind the law failed at the Assembly's Dec. 13 meeting. Officers can write offenders a ticket for up to $100, but Police Chief Mark Mew has said police have discretion in using the law and will likely only issue citations as a last resort.

Read more here: Protesters challenge ban on sitting, lying on sidewalks: Anchorage Assembly | Alaska news at adn.com

Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM

150 posts, read 92,109 times
Depending on where I am and if I am in a position to help, I have sometimes bought homeless people breakfast, $40 worth of food, or a sandwich. I know that there is a chance that person will not eat it, but I also know that there is a chance that person will share. I never give money, although I might give a coffee card from a local kiosk that has munchies for sale.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,860,861 times
It has been my experience that most panhandlers are in need. I also think that they often spend the money they get on booze. But some will buy food and get by.

Interesting blog here about panhanlding. Make Money Panhandling: How much do panhandlers really make? (http://makemoneypanhandling.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-much-do-panhandlers-really-make.html - broken link)

I read somewhere that a guy was doing research on panhandling. He was a college student and went to a downtown street bumming money. He wanted to see how much a panhandler could make. He was doing very poorly until another guy who was begging across the street came over to show him how it's done. He told him just to go to the side and watch. This pro would walk right up to people, greet them nicely and politely ask if they had any spare change to help him out...then he would hold out his hand. He was making 3-4 times what the college kid was making. As in all other walks of life...the 80/20 rule applies.

Another interesting study shows that people give a lot of money to panhandlers. http://www.appliedsurveyresearch.org/www/press/2007panhandling_09-21ReviewJournals.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,090,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well the bright side is that neither one of them will starve with a bag of dog food on hand!

There is a couple of people that have dogs hitch hiking up around Fairbanks.

Sadly a couple of the homeless are real loons that truely need medical attention, they shouldn't be out in public for their own safety. There was a middle aged gal (haven't seen her in a couple of years) that use to push a shopping cart around Fairbanks and she wore a life jacket all the time and would hand notes to people if she wanted something and wouldn't look you in the eye. She could talk, and did so to herself a lot!

Hopefully she got help somewhere and is off the street, but those are the people that stick out you remember.
Comforting to know that if the imaginary boat that she is rowing ever springs a leak she won't drown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska