Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

I have noticed in the last few years an increase in Alaska-themed shows. Three that come to mind right away are Flying High Alaska, Alaska State Troopers, and Sarah Palin's Alaska. Is the state tourism board using these to advertise the state? Has there been an increase in tourism? Has the state become more of a tourist destination since Sarah Palin was a VP nominee? I just find it interesting I keep hearing about this state more often the last few years.

I'm hoping someday I will actually get a chance to visit. It's on my bucket list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 02:11 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Sarah whom?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
There is about six to eight weekly series shows now on Alaska and countless shows on Alaska. Plus a bunch more in the works!

Don't know if the State itself is using them for tourism, but they are giving tax breaks and the list is getting bigger!

There is however, a lot of misguided folks that see the shows and assume they are factual and move to Alaska and go down in flames and go home with their tails tucked between their legs. "As seen on TV" is great, but you need to have your "Stuff" together before you come here. And don't expect it to be like the shows portray, it's not all glory and big bucks!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I have noticed in the last few years an increase in Alaska-themed shows. Three that come to mind right away are Flying High Alaska, Alaska State Troopers, and Sarah Palin's Alaska. Is the state tourism board using these to advertise the state? Has there been an increase in tourism? Has the state become more of a tourist destination since Sarah Palin was a VP nominee? I just find it interesting I keep hearing about this state more often the last few years.

I'm hoping someday I will actually get a chance to visit. It's on my bucket list.
Northern Exposure was one of my fave shows, what 20 years ago?
Bear in mind it was a "TV" show but it was set in Alaska.
Would love to visit one day!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
There is about six to eight weekly series shows now on Alaska and countless shows on Alaska. Plus a bunch more in the works!

Don't know if the State itself is using them for tourism, but they are giving tax breaks and the list is getting bigger!

There is however, a lot of misguided folks that see the shows and assume they are factual and move to Alaska and go down in flames and go home with their tails tucked between their legs. "As seen on TV" is great, but you need to have your "Stuff" together before you come here. And don't expect it to be like the shows portray, it's not all glory and big bucks!
I grew up in Montana and the same thing happened after A River Runs Through It and Horse Whisperer came out. People thought it would be their little piece of paradise and came out. As you said, they left with their "tails tucked between their legs." (Good analogy!) I would like to visit but I have had that thought since before I saw the shows. I know I couldn't live there. Too far from family and that 24 hour darkness would drive me crazy.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Northern Exposure was one of my fave shows, what 20 years ago?
Bear in mind it was a "TV" show but it was set in Alaska.
Would love to visit one day!
And filmed in Roslyn, Washington.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I grew up in Montana and the same thing happened after A River Runs Through It and Horse Whisperer came out. People thought it would be their little piece of paradise and came out. As you said, they left with their "tails tucked between their legs." (Good analogy!) I would like to visit but I have had that thought since before I saw the shows. I know I couldn't live there. Too far from family and that 24 hour darkness would drive me crazy.

Well that 24 hours of darkness is a scam that people hear and believe! North of the Arctic Circle it is "Legally" dark because you don't see the sun rise up above the horizon, but even there it is usable daylight for three to four hours a day, no direct sunlight, but you can see all over very well!

Same in Fairbanks, we do get short days of sunlight, but we get daylight a couple of hours before and after sunset of very useable light in the winter.

Having said that, there are those that can't handle that very well!

Now they have all sorts of special lights that you can turn on that mimic the sunlight and I guess they help, I don't know since it never bothered me. I'm the nut out watching the night sky for Aliens and the Northern Lights... I see one a whole lot more than the other!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well that 24 hours of darkness is a scam that people hear and believe! North of the Arctic Circle it is "Legally" dark because you don't see the sun rise up above the horizon, but even there it is usable daylight for three to four hours a day, no direct sunlight, but you can see all over very well!

Same in Fairbanks, we do get short days of sunlight, but we get daylight a couple of hours before and after sunset of very useable light in the winter.

Having said that, there are those that can't handle that very well!

Now they have all sorts of special lights that you can turn on that mimic the sunlight and I guess they help, I don't know since it never bothered me. I'm the nut out watching the night sky for Aliens and the Northern Lights... I see one a whole lot more than the other!
That shows what I know about Alaska. Someday I'll make a visit there. I've always wanted to see Denali.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 AM

305 posts, read 683,138 times
Watched two about Kilchers down Homer way. Pretty good portrayal of how hard it is to live off the land and still maintain modern conveniences. Not talking about outhouses and running water, but keeping equipment running and your freezer full. Appreciate seeing the youngster come home and struggle to be prepared; early winter storm slapped even the folks who know what it takes to make it through the long season. I like Atz's hat and Otto's eyebrows. That man sure can climb a tree, eh? ;-)

Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
but i wonder how contrived it is, cuz the family cant be hurting-their daughter is Jewel. surely Jewel gives them some of her millions?
i love Atz by the way. cool dude. he'd fit right in here in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
Watched two about Kilchers down Homer way. Pretty good portrayal of how hard it is to live off the land and still maintain modern conveniences. Not talking about outhouses and running water, but keeping equipment running and your freezer full. Appreciate seeing the youngster come home and struggle to be prepared; early winter storm slapped even the folks who know what it takes to make it through the long season. I like Atz's hat and Otto's eyebrows. That man sure can climb a tree, eh? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska