U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM

396 posts, read 315,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Homer is very "arty". Pretty cool place, really. Underneath that though...it's as red as can be.
Red how...fiscally, socially, both, neither? I am curious what kind of red Homer is, since I plan on landing there someday.

Like with liberals, I have found conservatives vary from place to place. In VA, they were fiscally and socially conservative with a heavy dose of the religious right. In MN, though you wouldn't know it from Bachmann, most of campaign ads in past years were about economics with a few concerning social issues thrown in to mollify the base. Even most of the liberals I knew in MN were pro 2nd amendment due to the strong hunting culture. The only true far left ideologues I met were at the 2008 Democratic caucus. I didn't last long at that event, as I don't lean terribly far in either direction.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM

744 posts, read 833,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I think the closest thing we have to a wacky religious group here is the anti-snowmachine skiers. And they're definitely not right.
When there are enough users in an area, motorized and non-motorized users need to be separated. IMO, Hatcher and Turnagain Passes are properly managed. Don't get around Thompson often enough to have an informed opinion though.

Does this opinion qualify me as religiously anti-snowmachine?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM

16,102 posts, read 16,080,123 times
All I really meant by that is that it's not as liberal as the arty image and exterior as well as Shannyn Moore's residency there might lead the average person to believe. And mine was a subjective observation ...based on knowing people who thought it would be more like Carmel or someplace and were surprised when it wasn't. Haven't been there in awhile myself though it does seem as if it would be a fairly decent place to live.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,388,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
When there are enough users in an area, motorized and non-motorized users need to be separated. IMO, Hatcher and Turnagain Passes are properly managed. Don't get around Thompson often enough to have an informed opinion though.

Does this opinion qualify me as religiously anti-snowmachine?
I do think in areas closer to population centers there should be segregation and the Hatcher Pass system seems like a good one (I think Turnagain works about the same). There is a segregation in the Mineral Creek trail system here in town, to keep snowmachiners (and dogsleds and hikers) off the XC trails, but most of the time there aren't enough people in any one place for there to be serious conflicts at the Pass. The highest concentration of snowmachiners of the year up there is during (and in support of) Tailgate Alaska, which is primarily a ski and snowboard event. Most of the snowmachiners around here also ski or board anyways, since there aren't exactly any lifts nearby. So for the most part it's one community. The "religious" ones are those who would prefer snowmachines to stop existing altogether, and who look down on people who use them to access ski runs.

It does seem like those kinds of user-group conflicts, bootpackers vs. snowmachiners, seiners vs. gillnetters, sport fishermen vs. commercial fishermen, individual hunters vs. guides, etc. are more important to people here than what passes for political divisions in the media. I don't think that's an Alaska thing necessarily, but it's indicative of a place where people are more tuned into (and dependent on) their natural surroundings than more abstract political issues.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:12 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,462,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
That's all they taught my daughter said. She went there for over a year. They seemed to be fixated on one subject only.
They push it hard because it is both socially unacceptable and not financially prudent to get married when your 16 any more however the sex drive is there and young adults are going to have sex.

The church is failing in this area because they are going against the grain of Gods design, if they wanted to be more successful they would have people getting married at 16 and simply going on birth control until they are financially stable. Of course the catholic chruch is also against birth control so they have an epic fail situation.

If you go against Gods design your going to fail you need to make the morals work within the confines of how the human body was designed. Anything short and your wasting your breath. The sad thing is the harping on pre marital sex is driving people away from all the other great things christianity has to offer because people get tired of hearing the same old drivel.

Jerry Prevo's church is a joke, I had a friend that went there and every young guy with a healthy sex drive was a "sex addict". People get tired of it.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:06 PM

1,052 posts, read 877,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Red how...fiscally, socially, both, neither? I am curious what kind of red Homer is, since I plan on landing there someday.

Like with liberals, I have found conservatives vary from place to place. In VA, they were fiscally and socially conservative with a heavy dose of the religious right. In MN, though you wouldn't know it from Bachmann, most of campaign ads in past years were about economics with a few concerning social issues thrown in to mollify the base. Even most of the liberals I knew in MN were pro 2nd amendment due to the strong hunting culture. The only true far left ideologues I met were at the 2008 Democratic caucus. I didn't last long at that event, as I don't lean terribly far in either direction.
Homer is in my opinion a fairly good cross section of political perspectives. It is similar in many ways to your point about MN regarding way of life/issues not subject particularily to ideology. One thing I like about Homer is the people seem to be respectful of differences within the community. I would say that is one of the most appealing characteristics of this community for me.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM

13,047 posts, read 14,640,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Hmm, a conservative, heterosexual, married, middle-aged, middle-class, white guy who is not a member of a minority religious group reports that he has never had a negative run-in with the religious right. Shocking, lol.
Minority religious group...like a local American blacks church in Fairbanks? I love their energy and singing, and have no trouble whatsoever spending time there every now and then. But then, there are a lot of pale faces like me, latinos, AK Natives, and the rest having as much fun as me in there But in reality, I would be more concerned about one of the now local gangs (13th, 18th, etc.) than any religious group in the nation.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM

1,302 posts, read 981,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Minority religious group...like a local American blacks church in Fairbanks? I love their energy and singing, and have no trouble whatsoever spending time there every now and then. But then, there are a lot of pale faces like me, latinos, AK Natives, and the rest having as much fun as me in there
Thanks for very effectively reinforcing my point

Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 AM

4,045 posts, read 5,433,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Why worry about the most liberal city in Alaska. Unless you have an agenda to link up with liberals who are anti-oil, anti-logging, anti-hunting, anti-etc.
Just go and enjoy the beauty of the state and the good folks there, if you do that you won't have much time to be "liberal". If you want to live among the liberals Kalifornia is the place and save the Alaskans the headache.
I'm not anti-oil, anti-logging, or anti-hunting but I'm not right wing either...The only thing that really concerns me is that some areas with fracking are having frequent earthquakes and other problems.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 5,433,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
To define myself, I am personally against abortion, but have long ago come to the conclusion that I can't control any woman (including my wife), and have no right to dictate to her concerning possible children. I happen to believe that abortion is the woman's choice and will agree to it in the case of rape and incest. I also understand the limitations of women living in poverty lacking another choice, if they already feel that they cannot support another child. Doesn't mean I like it. It is a hard choice, no matter what. I know women who would welcome another child, but they aren't carrying it to term and facing possible health issues.

I could give a damn about same-sex marriages. I don't know many gay people, only one, who is a good friend of my youngest. He's welcome in my house. I could care less about his choices. He's a nice kid, just a little different. Whether or not 2 guys or gals decide to share their lives together is none of my business. I don't happen to agree with their choice, but it's none of my business.

I think we should limit spending and start taxing ourselves and the rich to pay down the deficit. JMO. I believe that the Bill of Rights is inviolable. I believe in gun ownership, I believe in a strong military, I believe that God doesn't give a hoot whether I call him God, Jehovah, Yahveh, Allah or Ghu, just as long as He and I have a heart to heart when we talk in person. I believe my neighbors have a right to their privacy and opinions, as long as they don't interfere in mine. I believe that as long as what I do does not hurt anyone else, it is no one else's business. But I also believe in a hand up to the less fortunate, a hand out to friendship and the back of my hand to anyone who harms the helpless. All the rest is dross to be tossed away. I am hardly in charge of my life. I chose the life I would have when I was 20... it wasn't this one. And I still wouldn't change a thing.

When I refer to the religious right, I refer to those who's version of the Constitution limits us to Christianity. I refer to those who still refer to the Catholic church as a cult (and still unsaved, my goodness -that's a quote from one who asked if I had accepted Jesus as my personal Savior). Let them expound all they like, it is still bigotry. I could turn around, as a Catholic, and refer to them as runaway heretics, but I don't. I could give a damn.

Sorry for the rant. My soapbox got away from me.
Great post except I don't believe being gay is a choice, any more than I chose to be hetero. I didn't choose to like the opposite sex, I just do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska