Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakester View Post
You did see that the USA's #1 export is now oil and most of the lng goes to the asin market. There was a peice in the Anc times alittle while ago. Demand has dropped here and useage is down but prices still go up, more drilling will not do a thing for us in the US as far as oil or gas prices.
You are sorta correct, more like refined oil.. i.e. Gasoline.

Since we are not using it as much because the economy slowed and people started buying more efficient vehicles our refineries had a surplus. That is why FUEL has not DROPPED in price. It is a global commodity and people all over the world are willing to pay for it. So the American refineries sell it overseas as most of the countries (that hate us, but need us to buy their oil) do not have enough refinery capacity (if they even have one).

As far as that hiccup in the sand box, Iran is having a temper tantrum... That just may be the hiccup that send oil to $120 and a gallon of gas over $4 (on average) which means you Alaskans will most likely be paying over $5. Gas here is $3.45 and diesel is $3.89 on average. BTW, This is not my prediction, I read articles about it on MSNBC, CNN, and FoxNews... Really quite interesting when all three say the same thing.

Could oil drop to $55 sure - who knows. The experts (or as I call them ex-spurts) have been wrong before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You are sorta correct, more like refined oil.. i.e. Gasoline.

Since we are not using it as much because the economy slowed and people started buying more efficient vehicles our refineries had a surplus. That is why FUEL has not DROPPED in price. It is a global commodity and people all over the world are willing to pay for it. So the American refineries sell it overseas as most of the countries (that hate us, but need us to buy their oil) do not have enough refinery capacity (if they even have one).

As far as that hiccup in the sand box, Iran is having a temper tantrum... That just may be the hiccup that send oil to $120 and a gallon of gas over $4 (on average) which means you Alaskans will most likely be paying over $5. Gas here is $3.45 and diesel is $3.89 on average. BTW, This is not my prediction, I read articles about it on MSNBC, CNN, and FoxNews... Really quite interesting when all three say the same thing.

Could oil drop to $55 sure - who knows. The experts (or as I call them ex-spurts) have been wrong before.
Iran is going to be getting a spanking of there life very very soon. When that happens people are going to like what Palins said drill baby drill. Benjamin Netanyahu Prime Minister of Israel put the US on notice last year. That Israel will not give any heads up if and when the go in to take out the reactors in Iran. They plan on going it alone.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Why don't people from the -48 get a PFD? Billions of our tax dollars are at work in Alaska. Dam it I want my cut..
The fact is that you can have your own, created from tax collected from the most productive industries in your State.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Why don't people from the -48 get a PFD? Billions of our tax dollars are at work in Alaska. Dam it I want my cut..
But here is your answer (the red denotes owned by the Federal Government):
How Much Land Does the Federal Government Own?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:40 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Well that export is a skewed figure. We import more oil to the east coast then export less to the Pacific Rim Countries. Basically we are importing maybe two barrels for every one barrel we export because they can make money on the west coast exports and buy cheaper on the East Coast.

Until we start to take care of America first, it will get a lot worse!

In 1977 when the first oil came out of the Trans Alaskan pipeline, that oil could only be sold to US markets, then slowly that disappeared. Now it's sold world wide.

Problem is we are making a bunch of people rich that want to live in the sixth century, and we're giving the money to build Nukes so they can make the rest of the World go with them!

If they think it's cool to have their children strap on a bomb and kill other kids in a Pizza parlor, what do you think they will do with a nuke....

Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But here is your answer (the red denotes owned by the Federal Government):
How Much Land Does the Federal Government Own?
That is fine, I still want a check from my state or Alaska every year.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 PM

China has been doing good they now have Nuclear Subs, Ships, just like the USA. As stated above till the US takes care of it's own first, the country will swirl in the toilet bowl. This country sent soldiers off to war, it makes me to see this guys homeless on the streets. This country has the money to spend, to build some dam country we spent BILLIONS destroying.
Or the billions sent to other countries to feed them, give them aid, etc. This may sound cold hearted but screw them, feed and take care of the US homeland and people first. Be nice to go to local store and buy a Made In The U.S.A Flag. I don't want my flag with a made in china tag on my dam flag

Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Quote:
That is fine, I still want a check from my state or Alaska every year.
Since the oil production income to the state was set up by the Jay Hammond administration and was legislated to provide a portion to the state residents, you would have to lobby the current state government to get a PFD. But since they set it up to limit it to state residents, you have a long way to go. The state gets most of its operating funds from the oil income, they might have a problem with handing out their disposable income to out-of-staters. Just saying.

But a lot of other states have oil flowing on their lands too. Maybe they might set up something like Alaska. But that would take politicians who cared about their constituency, a rarity in most representatives.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Since the oil production income to the state was set up by the Jay Hammond administration and was legislated to provide a portion to the state residents, you would have to lobby the current state government to get a PFD. But since they set it up to limit it to state residents, you have a long way to go. The state gets most of its operating funds from the oil income, they might have a problem with handing out their disposable income to out-of-staters. Just saying.

But a lot of other states have oil flowing on their lands too. Maybe they might set up something like Alaska. But that would take politicians who cared about their constituency, a rarity in most representatives.
Agree with you. They could do something similar to the AK PDF over in North Dakota, I imagine. But again, the political leaders of today only take care of their own pockets. We not longer have State (nor national) leaders that are capable of planning for the future of the people they represent.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Agree with you. They could do something similar to the AK PDF over in North Dakota, I imagine. But again, the political leaders of today only take care of their own pockets. We not longer have State (nor national) leaders that are capable of planning for the future of the people they represent.
Just razzing ya. The overall costs per year in the-48 in savings on food, gas, cloths, utilities, etc. far surpasses what a PDF would bring. I still think they should wait have a 5 year wait on the PDF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska