Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:50 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times

Advertisements

Driving the Seward Highway in winter is fun, too. As is the Glenn Highway.

In the winter, the Kuskokwim River becomes a highway from Bethel to points beyond....

Sunrise in Bethel can be spectacular to say the lease...

Winter brings out nice Sundogs here also...

Summer Thunderstorms are sweet here, no smog in the air to cover up the clouds....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM

319 posts, read 963,440 times
Default huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishbloom View Post
This is a silly question (coming from a non-fishing person) is this fish edible? I have had huge cat fish before and personally they tasted 'scummy' like the bottom of the lake looked!
try cooking it.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:55 PM

319 posts, read 963,440 times
Default reds

yes i like reds. i like a white king more than a red king.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM

52 posts, read 98,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yes, it is definitely edible, but I would have had it stuffed and mounted since it is the World's Largest King salmon. The best eating salmon, in order of preference, are Reds (Sockeye), Silvers (Coho), and Kings (Chinook). Pink salmon (Humpback or just Humpies) is usually what you will find in canned salmon, and Dog (Chum) salmon is what Alaskan natives feed their dogs.

In most rivers where Kings spawn they reach between 20 and 40 pounds. The Kenai River, however, has exceptionally large Kings that range between 40 and 80 pounds (or larger).
The Humpies put up a darn good fight though- and BBQ decent

Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
Hello from the South (Georgia). I was killing some time today. What beautiful pictures! I hope to visit one day.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yes, it is definitely edible, but I would have had it stuffed and mounted since it is the World's Largest King salmon. The best eating salmon, in order of preference, are Reds (Sockeye), Silvers (Coho), and Kings (Chinook). Pink salmon (Humpback or just Humpies) is usually what you will find in canned salmon, and Dog (Chum) salmon is what Alaskan natives feed their dogs.

In most rivers where Kings spawn they reach between 20 and 40 pounds. The Kenai River, however, has exceptionally large Kings that range between 40 and 80 pounds (or larger).
I beg to differ. I'd put Chinooks ahead of Cohos. We like to smoke Pinks or use them for crab bait and Chums can be good smoked.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:40 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Hey, I was after kings up at Clear Creek with the boys, and they all limited out and I was skunked. On a side note, I could see dozens in the water, but none of them would so much as attempt a snap at a line while I was fishing. EVERYONE was catching. There was a 4-year old little girl who pulled in a 20 inch Dolly Varden on a kiddy pole from WalMart fer gosh sakes, 20 feet away from me and then landed 2 smaller ones (Witchcraft, I'm sure).
Hmmm Mal the question is who was casting the spell? The sweet innocent 4 year fishing ace or Walmart. Maybe they have bespelled their poles?
Hey it could happen cause you know deep down wallyworld has a taint of evil in them.

Warpt and Rance as always amazing pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska