U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM

369 posts, read 533,681 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was hoping for a Toyota 4Runner but, am sure I will be happy with my Subaru wagon that I pick up tomorrow.

Resisting 'was' appearing futile.

Thanks cd for information and advice!!

Jen
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM

3,907 posts, read 4,338,198 times
Which subbie did you get? I had an impreza wrx wagon. It drove like it was on rails. Only negative was fuel consumption, but I was not expecting 40mpg either.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:06 PM

369 posts, read 533,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Which subbie did you get? I had an impreza wrx wagon. It drove like it was on rails. Only negative was fuel consumption, but I was not expecting 40mpg either.
A legacy wagon, 4 cyl, 5 spd manual with blizzaks and winterized. I will really miss my 40 mpg but, might ship my geo up here if the person doesn't pay for it or may even get another geo up here as I have someone's number for one they are asking 500 for, for the summer.

Jen

Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,038,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
A legacy wagon, 4 cyl, 5 spd manual with blizzaks and winterized. I will really miss my 40 mpg but, might ship my geo up here if the person doesn't pay for it or may even get another geo up here as I have someone's number for one they are asking 500 for, for the summer.

Jen
Nothing wrong with a Subaru, they can easlily go for 200,000 miles with good maintance!

Now your going to tell me it has 300,000 miles on it and it's looking shakey?

I'm sure you got a good deal and worth every penny!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:58 AM

119 posts, read 122,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Nothing wrong with a Subaru, they can easlily go for 200,000 miles with good maintance!

Now your going to tell me it has 300,000 miles on it and it's looking shakey?

I'm sure you got a good deal and worth every penny!
The older ones will literally rust away before they die 9 times out of 10 with half a thought to maintenance. The newer ones are almost identical design wise. If you experience rough running and a hard time starting put plugs and wires in it. They're a little touchy when it comes to having good spark. Mine had a hard time starting cold last winter when I bought it ($700 reconstruct beater with a heater) I put a nice shiny new set of NGK plugs in it. It cranks over 2-3 times and fires at -20.

If you do the plugs stick with NGK. Subarus like them best.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 AM

2,492 posts, read 4,002,234 times
Just make sure you get the right bumper stickers. Not the world peace ones, use the 10,000 wolves can't be wrong or something like that.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 AM

28 posts, read 18,956 times
Not to hijack the thread, but I didn't really think there was a need to create my own. I've got a couple weeks until I drive from south Georgia to Anchorage and I also have an older Subaru Legacy Wagon (99 GT version). It's got AWD and ABS which is cool and all, but I can't put chains on it. I will be driving with a ton of stuff, so space is going to be at a premium. Do you think I'd be able to get by on the 4 new all-weather tires I've got on it or am I going to be screwed?

//edit this link makes me think I'd be alright, but personal experiences in this matter would be appreciated - http://www.usroads.com/journals/aruj/9712/ru971202.htm

Last edited by AlphaPoppa; 01-18-2012 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: added a link

Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,002,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPoppa View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I didn't really think there was a need to create my own. I've got a couple weeks until I drive from south Georgia to Anchorage and I also have an older Subaru Legacy Wagon (99 GT version). It's got AWD and ABS which is cool and all, but I can't put chains on it. I will be driving with a ton of stuff, so space is going to be at a premium. Do you think I'd be able to get by on the 4 new all-weather tires I've got on it or am I going to be screwed?

//edit this link makes me think I'd be alright, but personal experiences in this matter would be appreciated - A New Substitute for Studded Tires?
Don't worry about chains. Almost no one uses them here. On the other hand, unless you are a good driver on ice you might want to think about switching to good studded tires somewhere on your way up they do help you stop on ice better. If you are a good driver on ice, (that means you slow down for the conditions etc), then the all-weather ones will do you. Just give yourself about 3X more room to stop than you think you need.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 PM

3,907 posts, read 4,338,198 times
Awesome Gennaver. Everyone here covered what I found out about mine and of course I can't give winter driving tips (and won't)...

Although I did not have any rust issues and NGK are what the factory put in my WRX. IMHO, They are good plugs for Japanese vehicles regardless.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,038,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Just make sure you get the right bumper stickers. Not the world peace ones, use the 10,000 wolves can't be wrong or something like that.

LOL, and geeze, what were the wolves thinking?

I kinda liked "Save a Tree, eat a beaver".... (um, that is the furry one that is in a pond...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska