U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,497 times

Advertisements

We've just moved here and decided to take a month to look around before starting the job hunt. We're going to rent a car for a couple of days (probably a cheapo) and travel around a bit.

I think driving to seward would be fine, and then finding some things to see there.

But what about homer? Is the road drive-able by a front wheel car, not a 4x4?

I'm not an Alaskan driver, but I did spend many winter driving in now and ice in Nebraska. My old front-wheel drive Accord was a trooper there, and I had no problem there, but I really have to ideas what kinds of roads I would face, or how much the road crew do.

Homer looks more interesting and like there is more to see, but can you give me any advise on the roads?

Also anything along the route that would be a "must see" during the winter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM

4,058 posts, read 8,575,577 times
Just be careful, lots of speeders on that highway and there have been a lot of fatalities in the summer months so winter would be even worse.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM

1,926 posts, read 3,906,849 times
We drove to Seward from Delta Junction in February of 1998 and it was AWFUL! We were freaken lucky to make it home at it was -60F or colder coming into Nenana and everything in our car was freezing up. Then there is the ice fog and moose....

Whooo! That was crazy times!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 AM

There was a multi-vehicle accident today on the Seward Highway, something involving a pedestrian.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 AM

2,762 posts, read 4,196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We drove to Seward from Delta Junction in February of 1998 and it was AWFUL! We were freaken lucky to make it home at it was -60F or colder coming into Nenana and everything in our car was freezing up. Then there is the ice fog and moose....
You went through Nenana on the way from Delta to Seward?

Anyways, you're going to scare the poor guy! Don't worry, huskeric. I've only been down there in the winter once, to Homer, and it was fine on the way down. Of course, on the way back up we were driving in blizzard conditions and the road was closed at Girdwood due to an avalanche. We had to stay at a friend's cabin in Cooper's Landing and it got down to -20F overnight, which made trips the outhouse really great. Fun times.

There didn't seem like a huge amount of stuff to do in Homer in the winter though. I mean, the town is there and it's pretty, and you can go to restaurants and bars and whatnot, but the spit was pretty well deserted. Lots of eagles though, and some sea otters. There's a brewery and a winery there too, and a couple others in Kenai and Soldotna that you could hit on the way down, if you're into that sort of thing.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
You went through Nenana on the way from Delta to Seward?

Anyways, you're going to scare the poor guy! Don't worry, huskeric. I've only been down there in the winter once, to Homer, and it was fine on the way down. Of course, on the way back up we were driving in blizzard conditions and the road was closed at Girdwood due to an avalanche. We had to stay at a friend's cabin in Cooper's Landing and it got down to -20F overnight, which made trips the outhouse really great. Fun times.

There didn't seem like a huge amount of stuff to do in Homer in the winter though. I mean, the town is there and it's pretty, and you can go to restaurants and bars and whatnot, but the spit was pretty well deserted. Lots of eagles though, and some sea otters. There's a brewery and a winery there too, and a couple others in Kenai and Soldotna that you could hit on the way down, if you're into that sort of thing.
They probably chose to go on the much safer Parks Highway to Anchorage, than to take the Richardson to the Glenn in the middle of winter. The way from Delta to Anchorage on the Rich/Glenn is scarier than all get out in the winter.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 AM

2,762 posts, read 4,196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
They probably chose to go on the much safer Parks Highway to Anchorage, than to take the Richardson to the Glenn in the middle of winter. The way from Delta to Anchorage on the Rich/Glenn is scarier than all get out in the winter.
Yeah, it probably is safer. The Glenn is the worse of the two, I think. It's got all those hairpin turns around Chickaloon. The Rich is usually fine aside from Summit Lake, but it can be pretty crazy around there. We don't have a choice but to drive on the Rich or the Glenn, so I just think of that way as the normal way to go.

The Seward and Sterling Highways were reasonable as I recall though, especially once you were past Turnagain Arm and the Pass. It's good to be flexible about your plans though, regarding the weather. Check the forecast and road conditions before a trip, especially in a little rental car.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 AM

Yeah, the Rich/Glenn route to me is a lot more scenic but those hairpin turns on a cliff.....scary!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
The drive south is good with nice wide highway and well maintained in winter. Lot's of curves along Turnagain Arm, but once you reach Portage it smooth sailing. Until you reach the Seward turnoff. Then the highway to Seward has some good curve action in places.

Driving to Homer the road narrows to the point it can be scarey going through Cooper Landing. If you do the speed limit you'll be fine. Once you clear the mountains the highway gets nice and wide and straight into Sterling. But that stretch can be full of moose so watch for those guys.
From Sterling to Soldotna the road is good but traffic increases a good bit.

From Soldotna to Homer it's not too bad until you get to Anchor Point and then it is again some curves and a bit narrower. Overall you shouldn't have any trouble.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage is open year round and makes a nice stop.
If you go all the way to Homer: At Anchor Point, turn right (going southbound) off the highway and go down to the mouth of the Anchor River. The view from the beach there is great.
I've got friends that live in Soldotna that drive up to Anchorage at least once a month in the winter. The road is fine. The only thing that would affect you is a good snow storm. Just stay up to date on what the weather is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or