Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:36 AM

652 posts, read 680,352 times

Advertisements

I'm here in woodland, wa. I'm renting a apartment where its based only %30 of your income and I'm getting about $400 or $500 a month. you also have to be 55 or 65 to live here or disabled. I moved here when I was still on social security back in august 2009. social security made a decision to cut me off last year. somehow, my apartment manager at the time was able to talk to a few people and allow me to continue to stay here.
Otherwise, I would most likely have to move back home and I would hate to do that. It took me like 22yrs just to move out from home as it is anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
North Dakota is expensive, but with a 2% unemployment rate it's the best State in the nation to find work.
Not a problem with employment with a State population of 50,000 ...

Old 01-28-2012, 03:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Not a problem with employment with a State population of 50,000 ...
That's right. But my point is that ND is the best State in the nation to seek employment at. What happens in towns with strong industries is that the locals seek the best paying jobs, usually out of town. So the food joints, gas stations, grocery stores, supermarkets, bars, etc., pay higher that usual wages to those who stay. The number of inhabitants in a State or even a town has nothing to do with the employment rate. Employment depends on job availability.

This has happened in Alaska in the past, but now that the oil industry is not as strong, a lot of people are having a hard time finding full-time jobs, and those on fixed incomes are moving out because of the extremely high cost of heating fuel. A reality in Alaska is that the wages in the private sector are quite low compared to the wages in the public sector. To make matters worst for private sector workers, the cost of living has gone sky high in recent years.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-28-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 04:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Randall,

I read you post, and when I first read the title to it, I was stuck by a "I'm lazy and don't want to work hard" post which there are a lot of, so I didn't say anything.

But after reading it for a bit after a week and your responses, I was clearly wrong, you seem to want to work.

But there is a point of criticism that I would like to put forth. If you are coming to Alaska to better yourself, don't come with the perception that you are going to be bonded to the lowest form of lifestyle when you arrive, and certainly don't imply that is where you're going to have to settle for.

If you plan on failing in life, then keep your goals low to the ground so you don't have to fall far.

Clearly when you get here, you are going to be broke by what you have stated in the title of your thread, and it implies you want to find some kind of dive to live in to be feeling good about yourself, which I don't think is the case. If you do come here, you want to have enough funds to get home if it doesn't work out.

Life is an adventure, you clearly have a computer, so look for jobs that will start you out with room and board, such as many of the Canneries along the State's Coastal towns, there is a host of threads on here that can help you. Many of the companies also supply housing that work around some the the National Parks like Denali.

Point is, if you really want to raise you self up in life, then don't do it by selling yourself out to the bottom of the ladder of life. Sounds like you have some good skills, market them instead of looking for low income housing before you have a job! You are in life by what you represent yourself in life as.

Good luck on your adventure!
Oh Star.. so very true.. so many times in life we all do, at some point, sell ourselves short or continue to blame ourselves for things we cannot change.. GREAT POST... and kick it up a notch for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska