U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,847 times

Advertisements

I would really appreciate any info on Petersburg that anyone could provide me.

I have the opportunity to move to Petersburg with my family (husband and two young children) for full time employment. From what it looks like it would be a big move for us weather wise and culturally. We are from the "genteel" south where winters are mild and summers are hot.

Before I started the process I wanted to find out everything I could. Unfortunately I couldn’t find much online.

We want to evaluate this with our eyes wide open. It looks absolutely beautiful, but we are afraid it might just be a novelty after a year or so and get boring.

Any suggestions good or bad would really help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
Petersburg is a great little town. But it is little. And isolated. It's only accessible via the Alaska Marine Highway or by air, served only by Alaska Air.
Any chance that you could come up for a visit before making the commitment to move?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 11,690,350 times
If you get involved in the community activites and outdoor adventures you'll never be bored.

Petersburg Pilot

http://ci.petersburg.ak.us/

http://www.petersburg.org/

http://www.petersburgalaska.com/

http://www.petersburgproperties.com/

Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,081,402 times
Scroll down the list and select Petersburg.
Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs

Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,847 times
Default Thank you!

I really appreciate all the responses!

Because of my current work schedule I would have no way to visit Petersburg before accepting a job. The same opportunity is available in Sitka but besides the population difference everything else seemed similar online.

Are people generally friendly or is it one of those towns that you need to be born and raised in to fit in?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 PM

437 posts, read 655,695 times
If it were me, I would never accept a job in a place that is so completely different from what you know without a visit first. Never. It's going to be not anything like you now know. Even if you can only come up for 3-4 days, do it.

Do some reasearch, look at some maps of the area and see where this place is and where you can or can't go. Remember, you are going to be pretty isolated.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 PM

860 posts, read 1,705,601 times
I love Petersburg! It is a very hardworking, clean, family-oriented, mostly Norwegian community based on the fishing industry smack dab in the middle of paradise. There are no shopping malls, taco bells, bowling alleys or movie theaters but there is plenty of entertainment. You'll have amazing outdoor adventures right in your backyard, a short boat ride to one of the most beautiful glaciers in southeast, fresh seafood for the asking. If you dig in, pull your own weight and be a helpful part of the community you'll be one of the family in no time. I especially love the whole community's involvement with their kids.
All remote Alaska towns & villiages have reputations for being clannish and in some part that's true. I've lived in Wrangell nigh onto 45 years and am still a transplant. However, my children and grandchildren are homegrown Wrangellites which is... a different catagory, it just....is. It takes no time at all, however, for a young family such as yours to fit right in and be part of the island's extended family. You'll find people want to help, answer questions and accept you at face value.
You won't find much "genteel" in any Alaskan village tho ...the people or the climate
It is cold and wet up here most all the time, you're planning a move to a northern temperate rain forest. Your sun bonnets and sandals will be traded in for rubber X-tra tuffs and rain gear, except when you need longjohns and fur mittens. We get a couple good months, May & June lately with sun & temps in the 70's, pushing 80's once in a while.
Why do you want to make this move?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM

437 posts, read 655,695 times
Exactly what GrammasCabin said. I could live there but not everyone can.
Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM

6,904 posts, read 11,690,350 times
I'd probably pick Sitka over Petersburg.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,865,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn1234 View Post
I really appreciate all the responses!

Because of my current work schedule I would have no way to visit Petersburg before accepting a job. The same opportunity is available in Sitka but besides the population difference everything else seemed similar online.

Are people generally friendly or is it one of those towns that you need to be born and raised in to fit in?
Petersburg is one of my favorite Alaska towns. Oddly enough, I can't exactly put my finger on "why". Its beautiful, the people are friendly, and to answer your question, no you don't have to be born and raised to fit in. It is clean, the population is relatively affluent, they have curbside recycling, and its the type of place where everybody takes care of their yards etc. Being a small remote town it is short on amenities. They don't have a movie theater, but do show real movies at the High School on weekend nights. There are a few bars and restaurants (actually the Mexican restaurant in Kito's Cave is one of the best Mexican restaurants in Alaska).

Petersburg versus Sitka is a difficult decision. They are very similar and very different. Obviously, Sitka has more stuff to "do" by lower 48 standards. The smaller population and lack of indoor activities might make the isolation in Petersburg seem worse. But then again, the friendly outgoing Norwegian influence might make Petersburg seem better. It's like choosing apples or oranges when you like them both equally. Different, but still good.

You said you didn't have time to check the place out before moving. Yes you do, just rearrange your priorities. You can see the whole town in a day. If you are going to conclude that a decision this big is not worth a day, you're not ready for Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska