U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 AM

178 posts, read 121,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
1. I just saw Ed Ved mentioned in here, so I had to proclaim my love for his solo stuff and PJ.

2. Chris McCandless doesn't deserve the hate. Sure, he made mistakes while being adventuresome, but it was his life and he paid for those mistakes. The same thing happens to us, his just happened on a grander scale.
No one "hates" the Kid. Honestly, he was a dumb kid that got in over his head and paid the ultimate price for it.

What most of us "hate" is the romanticizing of his folly.

It gives other unprepared wishful thinkers the notion that this is a good idea. That usually results in some of us on here spending some time out in that self same wilderness bailing out their idealistic backsides. At great cost and danger to those rescuers.

That's the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 AM

5,381 posts, read 7,246,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
1. I just saw Ed Ved mentioned in here, so I had to proclaim my love for his solo stuff and PJ.

2. Chris McCandless doesn't deserve the hate. Sure, he made mistakes while being adventuresome, but it was his life and he paid for those mistakes. The same thing happens to us, his just happened on a grander scale.
The only thing that happened was Hollyweird blowing the story up and making a buck off of it.

So their was nothing at all grand about his life or death. Nothing.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,060,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Bus 142 is every bit as historic as the Rosa Parks' Bus, the Partridge Family Bus, the Freedom Riders' Buses, and the Magic School Bus.

It should be airlifted out of the wilderness and placed inside the Anchorage Airport so all visitors can get a glimpse of the true Alaskan spirit.
The kid committed suicide. I doubt true Alaskans with their dogged survivalist spirit would appreciate that. I believe it should be left where it is as a symbol of not what to do. IMHO.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:08 PM

4,045 posts, read 5,443,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiV View Post
No one "hates" the Kid. Honestly, he was a dumb kid that got in over his head and paid the ultimate price for it.

What most of us "hate" is the romanticizing of his folly.

It gives other unprepared wishful thinkers the notion that this is a good idea. That usually results in some of us on here spending some time out in that self same wilderness bailing out their idealistic backsides. At great cost and danger to those rescuers.

That's the problem.
Even though I am less harsh on the kid, dying alone as a bag of bones, realizing his whole quest boiled down to the understanding that we really do need caring people in our lives, is not romantic. It was very sad for him and his family. I am glad my youthful whims didn't kill me.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 PM

595 posts, read 363,167 times
Interesting thread. I came across Chris' story when I was researching Slab City, CA on here recently. I haven't seen the movie or documentary yet, but isn't this story about more than him dying at this bus?

That said, and back to the topic. I find this bus a very cool thing even aside from Chris' time there. The Stampede Road and such. Alaska is so vast and untamed.

This page from the producer of the documentary clears up some of the misinformation in the book and film.

http://www.terraincognitafilms.com/w...l_debunked.htm

I find the YouTube videos of the inside of the bus cool.

The trip to the bus on Stampede Trail - September, 2009 - #1 - YouTube

"Into the Wild" Magic Bus - YouTube

Hiking The Stampede Trail - YouTube

Last edited by PcolaFLGuy; 02-09-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM

6,799 posts, read 3,148,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
The kid committed suicide. I doubt true Alaskans with their dogged survivalist spirit would appreciate that. I believe it should be left where it is as a symbol of not what to do. IMHO.

I second that- it is a lesson of what not to do.
I hate how the book & Hollywood glorified this story.
Disgusting

Old 02-09-2012, 05:20 PM

2,497 posts, read 4,189,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Sadly he is a fine example of what not to do! But mostly he is a statistic of those that were clueless of what they got themselves into.

And since History repeats itself, he wasn't the first and clearly won't be the last!
just as people who never take risks or venture off lay in hospital beds and die a slow death from cancer or old age. At least he had a mind to do what he wanted. I'm not calling him a hero, but he did what he wanted. He may have died doing it but he won't spend his life a slave either.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM

5,381 posts, read 7,246,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
j He may have died doing it but he won't spend his life a slave either.
Many of us do what we want. We don't live like slaves. No sense in killing yourself over it.....

Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,108,808 times
Quote:
just as people who never take risks or venture off lay in hospital beds and die a slow death from cancer or old age. At least he had a mind to do what he wanted. I'm not calling him a hero, but he did what he wanted. He may have died doing it but he won't spend his life a slave either.
It really isn't an either/or type of thing. Plenty of people venture off, take risks, whatever. They don't all starve in buses.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 AM

6,271 posts, read 8,041,877 times
Quote:
Well, how are you planning your demise then? Are you waiting for your break from your parents basement?

If you were true to your beliefs, you'd be out doing your own adventure! So far people are envious of McCandless that only succeeded in breaking his parents heart.

Yet we keep hearing all of you that think doing stupid stuff as noble. He was so arrogant that he had the World by the short hairs, when in reality, he had his thumb stuck up his A$$! Sadly he paid for it with his life.

If you want an adventure, come up here and try to keep up with me when I head out to my cabin which is just North of the "Magic Bus", been all over there during the last couple decades, it's neat, but it's my home and I really love it when people want to come see it, but I get so disgusted by those that think they know it all but in reality know nothing about what they are doing.

Just sad that People relate stupid to knowing how to survive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska