U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
5,211 posts, read 6,585,212 times
Reputation: 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
That doesn't mean it was glorified by Hollywood. And all movies don't run through the typical Hollywood system. I already explained why McCandless's journey was 'glorified' for much of the film. You are stating that someone's experiences shouldn't be portrayed in film because it brings attention to them? Should we not have troubled protagonists, ones that make mistakes and are like us?
I can't state it anymore simply. I they hadn't made the movie you wouldn't be posting about it on here. You would never have known it even happened.

McCandless isn't the only person to have died in Alaska from doing the same thing. It's happens every year.

You'll never understand that until you take McCandless down and off of the pedestal you've put him on....
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Palmer
2,485 posts, read 3,669,163 times
Reputation: 1207
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I can't state it anymore simply. I they hadn't made the movie you wouldn't be posting about it on here. You would never have known it even happened.

McCandless isn't the only person to have died in Alaska from doing the same thing. It's happens every year.

You'll never understand that until you take McCandless down and off of the pedestal you've put him on....
On a little bit of a different note, and one that I've mentioned before. If someone documents their actions or thoughts it seems to have more impact. Dick Proenneke is an example. Many people have done similar things but did not document it. He makes an impact and the others don't.

This guy goes out and does himself in. But because he writes about it people glorify what he did. If he hadn't written anything, it wouldn't have happened...

It's like the tree falling in the forest makes no sound if no one hears it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
5,211 posts, read 6,585,212 times
Reputation: 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
On a little bit of a different note, and one that I've mentioned before. If someone documents their actions or thoughts it seems to have more impact. Dick Proenneke is an example. Many people have done similar things but did not document it. He makes an impact and the others don't.

This guy goes out and does himself in. But because he writes about it people glorify what he did. If he hadn't written anything, it wouldn't have happened...

It's like the tree falling in the forest makes no sound if no one hears it.
That's the man. He's the real deal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,020 posts, read 8,531,926 times
Reputation: 6127
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Oh goodness! If Hollyweird hadn't made the movie you wouldn't be making this post.
So you believe that no one ever read the book before the movie was released? It was a national bestseller. The book and movie were both presented from McCandless's point of view and neither "glorified" what he did. I think his story struck a nerve in many people who feel the same as he did - that our society is fake, corrupt, and stifling. His desire and willingness to live an unconventional life is what makes his story compelling. Remember he did live on the road for two years before his time in Alaska and ultimately those two years were the foundation for his realization after being alone and near death that "happiness is only real when shared". Unfortunately, a simple misjudgment prevented him from walking out and his legacy is his death. There is more to the story than that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Plover, WI
418 posts, read 386,494 times
Reputation: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I can't state it anymore simply. I they hadn't made the movie you wouldn't be posting about it on here. You would never have known it even happened.

McCandless isn't the only person to have died in Alaska from doing the same thing. It's happens every year.

You'll never understand that until you take McCandless down and off of the pedestal you've put him on....
And? I haven't put him on a pedestal. It's one person's story, if they want to show it they'll show it. Everybody does a lot of the same things seen in movies, are we suppose to show all their stories or none?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
5,211 posts, read 6,585,212 times
Reputation: 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
And? I haven't put him on a pedestal. It's one person's story, if they want to show it they'll show it. Everybody does a lot of the same things seen in movies, are we suppose to show all their stories or none?
Make a movie about someone that actually lived, survived and thrived. Why make one about someone that was stupid and died???????
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,020 posts, read 8,531,926 times
Reputation: 6127
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Make a movie about someone that actually lived, survived and thrived. Why make one about someone that was stupid and died???????
McCandless did live and thrive. If you don't understand this then it is no wonder you hate him so much. A simple misjudgment cost him his life - simple misjudgments have killed experienced outdoorsmen - yet people don't condemn them - apparently they get passes because they were "competent". McCandless was competent - I see the same argument from McCandless bashers time and again - he died - therefore he was stupid. This is factually inaccurate and is a logical fallacy. The real reason people dislike MCCandless is because he had the courage to do something most people will never attempt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM
 
811 posts, read 530,411 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Make a movie about someone that actually lived, survived and thrived. Why make one about someone that was stupid and died???????
Drama sells, just look how many people have been to and want to head to the bus to see it. I would rather do something more constructive, like hunt fish.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 PM
 
811 posts, read 530,411 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
McCandless did live and thrive. If you don't understand this then it is no wonder you hate him so much. A simple misjudgment cost him his life - simple misjudgments have killed experienced outdoorsmen - yet people don't condemn them - apparently they get passes because they were "competent". McCandless was competent - I see the same argument from McCandless bashers time and again - he died - therefore he was stupid. This is factually inaccurate and is a logical fallacy. The real reason people dislike MCCandless is because he had the courage to do something most people will never attempt.
A few more months and he would of been bear, wolf food and never been found. He would of just been another one who just din't make in Alaska.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
 
5,658 posts, read 2,380,519 times
Reputation: 9010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Make a movie about someone that actually lived, survived and thrived. Why make one about someone that was stupid and died???????
I agree 100%
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top