Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:17 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,111,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Ameilia had a plan, CM did not. apples and oranges.
mmm, it was more green apples to fugi apples not apples to oranges. She might have had a plan as much as CM had a plan. Obviously the plane is an expensive machine so there is planning and costs assocaited aquiring the proper plane but outside of that one could argue it is very similar.

Alot of the differences boil down to resoruces and money at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 12:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,364 times
However you spin it, he had no plan and was an idiot that should not have gone wandering around in Alaska wilderness! That would be like me jumping in to your plane and trying to take off. If I failed what would you call me?

Old 11-17-2016, 05:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Difference being, McCandless wasn't committed to being an outdoorsman. He certainly didn't plan on lingering in those woods into fall/winter.

He did have some books, one in particular on edible wild plants that I remember one of the people he befriended on his journey saying he was somewhat obsessed with. But yes, it ultimately turned out to be too little/too late. He may have been seeing how far he could have gotten on his own mettle, with as little training/preparation as possible.

Remember, it was his private mission to succeed or fail at, he wasn't planning on writing a book or going on the talk show circuit afterwards. But under the circumstances and with hindsight, many might agree it was a fools mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
That would be like me jumping in to your plane and trying to take off. If I failed what would you call me?

A Thief!

But honestly, how did Hillary Clinton get involved in this? I'm trying to maintain a serious, dignified attitude towards this thread out of respect to the somberness of the subject matter and this makes it difficult.

Rhetorical Question (but answer if you like):

If you were to take Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, with the life experience and training each have right now, and place them each in the exact same situation from the beginning of discovering the bus, which one would survive or at least last longer, and why?

Old 11-17-2016, 07:58 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

If you were to take Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, with the life experience and training each have right now, and place them each in the exact same situation from the beginning of discovering the bus, which one would survive or at least last longer, and why?

It's a draw. They're both rich, spoiled, entitled a55holes who are used to being waited on. I'd be surprised if I learned that either of them could survive in an urban environment without the aid of "aides." Both get a zero chance of survival and are dead inside a month.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
He did have some books, one in particular on edible wild plants that I remember one of the people he befriended on his journey saying he was somewhat obsessed with. But yes, it ultimately turned out to be too little/too late. He may have been seeing how far he could have gotten on his own mettle, with as little training/preparation as possible.

Remember, it was his private mission to succeed or fail at, he wasn't planning on writing a book or going on the talk show circuit afterwards. But under the circumstances and with hindsight, many might agree it was a fools mission.

A Thief!

But honestly, how did Hillary Clinton get involved in this? I'm trying to maintain a serious, dignified attitude towards this thread out of respect to the somberness of the subject matter and this makes it difficult.

I used Hillary Clinton in my example of a loser because that's what she is. She's a person that thought she had all here bases covered at least from an intellectual standpoint. They tried to beat the public into submission by telling people that the polls said she was ahead and going to win.

However, if she had been paying attention to the actual landscape she'd have realized her ship was taking on water and sinking fast. I'm no political genius but even I had it figured out. Trump's rally's were drawing tens of thousands of people all over the country. Everywhere he went. They even had to turn people away. That should have been her big warning sign!

Both Clinton and CM had the intelligence but not the common sense to go with it. One never realized they were losing and the other just gave up and lost. Not a good mindset to have for surviving in Alaska.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:00 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post

However, if she had been paying attention to the actual landscape she'd have realized her ship was taking on water and sinking fast. I'm no political genius but even I had it figured out. Trump's rally's were drawing tens of thousands of people all over the country. Everywhere he went. They even had to turn people away. That should have been her big warning sign!
You want to talk smack about Hillary Clinton? Really? She is only the "loser" because of a bizarrely weighted system...and she is currently ahead in the popular vote by $2M votes and climbing.

55,000 people in three states swung this to our new Imperial Wizard. A tiny amount of votes decided this election even though the popular vote is an enormous landslide in Clinton's favor. Hillary received more votes than any white man who has EVER run for president. Ever. More than any man except Obama. NO WHITE MAN HAS RECEIVED AS MANY VOTES FOR PRESIDENT AS HILLARY HAS. Digest that. America chose her.

You know what should have been a warning sign? That the Grand Dragon was endorsed enthusiastically by the KKK but a whole bunch of white Americans still wanted to vote for him. That's what I'm calling a MASSIVE warning sign, and what it's warning of ain't good.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
It's a draw. They're both rich, spoiled, entitled a55holes who are used to being waited on
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
You do realize that Clinton's parents were working class, right? That her mother was abandoned at age 8 and had to make her own way in life because her parents were too poor to take care of her? That her mother had a JOB AT AGE EIGHT in order to provide for her younger sister? She and her future husband worked their way to upper middle class, but that didn't stop Mr. Rodham from physically and verbally abusing a young Hillary, who moved on from that life to make Life magazine at age 20 after graduating college a valedictorian and making a speech so important that it was covered nationally, way back then, when people cared even less about what women had to say than they do now?

This to you is rich, entitled, spoiled?

Hillary is by any standard a self made person. She's survived decades of aggressive sexism to achieve the highest station of any woman in this country. You want to tell me she's a rich, spoiled, entitled a-hole after that? Really? Really?

It's beyond stupid to drag politics into this thread but I'll be damned if you're going to spew lies and garbage about Hillary Clinton without being corrected.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Did you read the book?
He had no intention of returning home, and had given away all of his money to charity.
Meh. He had plenty of money awaiting him back in the arms of mommy and daddy. Only people with a cushion can give away $20K and literally burn the rest.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Hillary worked in a salmon cannery somewhere around Valdez when she was a college student. Trust me, that's not something that people who come from privilege do.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:42 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Hillary worked in a salmon cannery somewhere around Valdez when she was a college student. Trust me, that's not something that people who come from privilege do.
According to the ADN article she worked at the cannery for a week before getting fired.

https://www.adn.com/politics/2016/10...mer-in-alaska/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska