Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,472,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I don't see WWIII anytime soon but clearly Israel and Iran are on a collision course. My point is that the earth is not dependent upon us....it's the other way around. An asteroid can really solve most of the bs. The earth will defend herself.

She has already taken a shot at Japan and the food chain.

In 1932 nobody thought Hitler was a serious threat to politics, and guess what happened!?!

All thoughout history this repeats itself over and over and people always buried their heads in the sand pretending it won't happened until their heads rolled in the sand.

Iran is a suicide country that believes if they cause total war their "God" will return! That is the same mindset of a suicide bomber walking into a pizza parlor full of kids, he thinks he is doing gods work... In America most people can't grasp that and won't until the clouds of war engulf us.

Israel takes a thousand missiles a year over their boarder and are told not to respond even with their children getting killed for no reason than this type of hate.

The Israelis will attack Iran to try to distroy their nuke program, and our politicians are giving their plans to Iran, talk about traitors... If they
Don't stop Iran, Iran will nuke Isreal and the war is on, no place on the planet will be unaffected this time round!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
You really need to get out and go see the Alaskan Oilfields, they are highly regulated and clean.

The drilling footprint in ANWR isnt even a spot on the map.

Doing no drilling and relying on people that hate America for our source of energy is just stupid. For those that think doing nothing is better, are worse than those that take our money to kill ours soldiers.

Drill Baby, Drill! And look for a replacement techoligy instead of cutting off our nose to spite our face.
Those who have studied it say otherwise as far as the risks go: disruption of wildlife, etc. Do you really want a Gulf of Mexico type spill up there, if offshore drilling is also allowed?

You ignored the info. I posted above which shows drilling that oil will do next to nothing.

Relying on a dwindling resource and ignoring the reality we can't rely on it forever is stupid. Protecting natural resources that can last forever if cared for and not abused is not stupid.

We can't drill our way out of our energy problems. We don't have enough oil to do so. Think long term and not short term.

And ah yes, the obligatory resort to patriotism. Clearly, not drilling ANWR is unpatriotic.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel," to quote Samuel Johnson.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,955,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Those who have studied it say otherwise as far as the risks go: disruption of wildlife, etc. .
"Those" people also always have an agenda as well, so their "research" is highly suspect. Just look at all of the obfuscation and fudging of data in the current global warming scam.

Quote:
Do you really want a Gulf of Mexico type spill up there, if offshore drilling is also allowed?.
Completely different circumstances. Your statement only demonstrates you haven't a clue about the Arctic - Probably can't even find it on a map.

Quote:
You ignored the info. I posted above which shows drilling that oil will do next to nothing..
Who said anthything about oil prices? The reason for drilling in ANWR is to bring TAPS back up to full capacity providing a secure source of domestic energy for the Nation.

And for us Alaskans, the big issue is US/Alaskan jobs and more funds injected into our local economy and our State coffers. It's only the NIMBY lower 48'ers who believe they are qualified to pass judgement on Alaskan affairs from thousands of miles away.

Quote:
Relying on a dwindling resource and ignoring the reality we can't rely on it forever is stupid. ..
Another Red Herring - no one here believes fossil fuels will last "forever". But fossil fuels are part of the solution NOW to get us to a future with other alternatives.

Quote:
Protecting natural resources that can last forever if cared for and not abused is not stupid..
That is absurd. The earth will be here billions of years after we are gone - and not care one wit what we did while we inhabited the planet. You could set off a nuke in ANWR and it would probably look no different than before a couple of hundred years later. Believing that we can somehow destroy things on this planet "forever" is simply egocentric nonsense.

Quote:
We can't drill our way out of our energy problems. We don't have enough oil to do so. Think long term and not short term. .
As I said, oil is part of the solution now. And bringing TAPS back up to full capacity for another couple decades is hardly a "short term" solution. It would provide significant national security and economic benefits for quite some time, giving us breathing room to seek viable long term solutions.

Quote:
And ah yes, the obligatory resort to patriotism. Clearly, not drilling ANWR is unpatriotic.

Parroting tired, false liberal talking points hardly makes for a cogent argument.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
"Those" people also always have an agenda as well, so their "research" is highly suspect. Just look at all of the obfuscation and fudging of data in the current global warming scam.
But we should trust some greedy oil companies instead?

Quote:
Completely different circumstances. Your statement only demonstrates you haven't a clue about the Arctic - Probably can't even find it on a map.
No, that's a risk of all offshore drilling, leaks. Of course there's also tanker accidents as happened in Alaska once...

Quote:
Who said anthything about oil prices? The reason for drilling in ANWR is to bring TAPS back up to full capacity providing a secure source of domestic energy for the Nation.
It's not enough to accomplish that. We don't have enough oil in the entire country to do that.

Quote:
And for us Alaskans, the big issue is US/Alaskan jobs and more funds injected into our local economy and our State coffers. It's only the NIMBY lower 48'ers who believe they are qualified to pass judgement on Alaskan affairs from thousands of miles away.
Most of the profits will go out of state, and possibly to foreign countries. Some temporary jobs, in exchange for which you might have more valuable resources destroyed permanently, won't be that beneficial in the long run. ANWR is federal property not state property anyways. It wasn't created for exploitation for the purposes of making a few richer. It was created to protect a wilderness area, to provide wildlife and plant habitat. People living in the Arctic still depend on the caribou and other animals there.

Quote:

Another Red Herring - no one here believes fossil fuels will last "forever". But fossil fuels are part of the solution NOW to get us to a future with other alternatives.
No, burning up every last drop we can now is not a solution to anything. Leaving that in the ground will encourage the development of real solutions, and will leave a future supply for non-energy purposes (i.e., for medical uses, etc.).

Quote:
That is absurd. The earth will be here billions of years after we are gone - and not care one wit what we did while we inhabited the planet. You could set off a nuke in ANWR and it would probably look no different than before a couple of hundred years later. Believing that we can somehow destroy things on this planet "forever" is simply egocentric nonsense.
I have no doubt the Earth will exist in billions of years. But vast swaths may not be inhabitable, vital resources to support life could be gone, the game and fish can be destroyed, the soil poisoned. Extinct is gone forever. Do you know how many species ech year are being driven to extinction because of short sighted people like you who think little scraps of paper and ink are the most important thing in the world?

And if you think you could set a nuke off in the Arctic like that, and things will be just fine in the future, you're a complete ignorant fool. Ever hear of Chernobyl? That place will never be normal again. The animals and such are already so mutated it will not return to normal.

Quote:
Parroting tired, false liberal talking points hardly makes for a cogent argument.
I can hardly be called liberal, but I'm not prone to being lead around by oil company propaganda either. They're using people like you to profit themselves. Whip the ignorant into a frenzy demanding the oil companies be given what they want. Those statistics I posted are not "liberal talking points" but sound science. You've posted nothing but opinions, oil company talking points.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,990,128 times
We certainly do need to drill for more oil. The closest oil to the pipeline is ANWR and the footprint on ANWR is miniscule.

And homesteader, I don't trust the government's numbers either. Most of their estimates of reserves appear to be very low compared to what many of the oil companies estimates are. The oil companies are willing to put their money on the line which lends credence to their estimates. And I know that many of them are holding back information as well.

I read a very interesting analysis yesterday by a new small company that is going to do a few wells into oil shale on the north slope next year. Their science about where the oil comes from, and where it ends up is very interesting and far different than current accepted science. Not only that, they are risking a lot of money because of their science. I will be watching them closely.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,472,294 times
Quote:
Those who have studied it say otherwise as far as the risks go: disruption of wildlife, etc. Do you really want a Gulf of Mexico type spill up there, if offshore drilling is also allowed?

You ignored the info. I posted above which shows drilling that oil will do next to nothing.

Relying on a dwindling resource and ignoring the reality we can't rely on it forever is stupid. Protecting natural resources that can last forever if cared for and not abused is not stupid.

We can't drill our way out of our energy problems. We don't have enough oil to do so. Think long term and not short term.

The gulf oil spill was sad, but it was a media driven event, when the leak was stopped, the oil Spill did as well. I was there running oil recovery Equipment, as I also was on the Exxon Oil Spill and the Selendang Ayu spill in Dutch Harbor, and hundreds of smaller oil spills over the years. They all have the same thing in common, nature heals them faster than we can clean them up. Don't hear that in the liberal press. You've eaten their candy well!

I'm glad you like where you are in life, argue all you wish, history will still repeat itself many times again, and those that ignore it will forced to repeat it.

I have lived a Good life, done and seen stuff in life most can't imagine, and a lot of the world, it is my kids and future generations that I feel sorry for.

Do what you think is right in the world, there are Prices for everything, even wrong choices. Many of those are going to be kicking us in the butt shortly.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
It's not enough to accomplish that. We don't have enough oil in the entire country to do that.
Wow, you really don't have any clue to what you are talking about.

Max capacity of TAPS back in the day was around 2.1 million bbls per day. But in it's current configuration its about 1 - 1.5 million bbls per day without some significant reconfiguration. There are plenty of oil produciing regions in this country that could support that.

Obviously I've given you too much credit - I actually assumed you might be some one with a clue. You are in way over your head in this discussion.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The gulf oil spill was sad, but it was a media driven event, when the leak was stopped, the oil Spill did as well. I was there running oil recovery Equipment, as I also was on the Exxon Oil Spill and the Selendang Ayu spill in Dutch Harbor, and hundreds of smaller oil spills over the years. They all have the same thing in common, nature heals them faster than we can clean them up. Don't hear that in the liberal press. You've eaten their candy well!

I'm glad you like where you are in life, argue all you wish, history will still repeat itself many times again, and those that ignore it will forced to repeat it.

I have lived a Good life, done and seen stuff in life most can't imagine, and a lot of the world, it is my kids and future generations that I feel sorry for.

Do what you think is right in the world, there are Prices for everything, even wrong choices. Many of those are going to be kicking us in the butt shortly.
I have relatives in the Gulf area in LA. It hasn't recovered. People they know have been extremely ill since the spill. They don't dare eat anything out of the water now. I don't care what the media says on that, I have had firsthand accounts coming from them.

The waters contaminated by the Exxon Valdez have still not fully recovered either.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Wow, you really don't have any clue to what you are talking about.

Max capacity of TAPS back in the day was around 2.1 million bbls per day. But in it's current configuration its about 1 - 1.5 million bbls per day without some significant reconfiguration. There are plenty of oil produciing regions in this country that could support that.

Obviously I've given you too much credit - I actually assumed you might be some one with a clue. You are in way over your head in this discussion.
Are you talking about the pipeline now? It doesn't matter what capacity it has if there isn't enough to fill it. This country does not have enough oil domestically to solve its energy problems.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about the pipeline now? It doesn't matter what capacity it has if there isn't enough to fill it. This country does not have enough oil domestically to solve its energy problems.
fercryinoutloud. Can you even read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska