U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 AM

5 posts, read 16,046 times

Advertisements

No, it's not so good. My husband and I are in Law Enforcement/Corrections here and they are a huge pain in the rear end. We've always had our miners here but this influx of people who think they're going to strike it rich is ridiculous and I wish they'd leave and never come back. It's only good for a select few people. The rest of us will be friendly to you but would be happy to see ya go! The ones that "run into trouble" end up picked up by the police officers, come out to the jail where they get clean clothes, food, and a cab ride home (unless it's criminal of course). Manpower by the city and lodging via the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
That's good for the City of Nome. These people end up spending a lot of money in that town. Since Nome doesn't have a homeless shelter they don't have to spend anything on taking care of the ones that run into trouble. Lots of money to be made as a used mining equipment buyer and seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 AM

Not exactly. My brother is on the Lazy Gator crew and they actually spend more time mining in the winter than in the summer. They don't have to deal with high waves and other issues in the winter time. Plus they only actually filmed for a few weeks and they'd already been out there for a couple of months (though the show makes it look like they're just setting up).

The ice finally just froze up and stopped moving so they'll be out there within the next week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I have been watching that show as well. I agree that it looks like Jan. is busy too, but it also seems like that is a short season.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 PM

12 posts, read 25,112 times
I was up in Nome last summer and it didn't look like the beach was that busy? But that might be due to the fact that I wasn't on the beach much and didn't really make it a point to notice if there was anyone out there. If anyone is thinking about going up they should know the cost of living is extremely high. Gas was 5.94 and diesel was 6.19 a gallon when I was up there. Also the cost for food was really high especially on fresh items like fruit, oranges were $20 per bag.

Thankfully I worked for UAF on a research project and didn't have to foot the bill for all that.

Nome, AK-sam_0141-800x450-.jpg

Nome, AK-sam_0160-800x450-.jpg

Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 AM

200 posts, read 375,577 times
Really? 42 people fell for the troll posting?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM

It's $6.15 at Bonanza now, and I think Crowley was at $6.22. I get my fruit and veggies from Full Circle Farms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline7.3 View Post
I was up in Nome last summer and it didn't look like the beach was that busy? But that might be due to the fact that I wasn't on the beach much and didn't really make it a point to notice if there was anyone out there. If anyone is thinking about going up they should know the cost of living is extremely high. Gas was 5.94 and diesel was 6.19 a gallon when I was up there. Also the cost for food was really high especially on fresh items like fruit, oranges were $20 per bag.

Thankfully I worked for UAF on a research project and didn't have to foot the bill for all that.

Attachment 105260

Attachment 105261
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska