Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 AM

811 posts, read 1,317,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Good luck out there. you will need it.
No such thing of luck in that situation it's all skill, if Chris had some skill he would still be here today, not a 67lb frozen still. I may be cold hearted "no pun intended" but it is the truth.

Saying you are so on top of this story, I could use a guide to show me the way, so I do not windup like McCandless. If you would like to take a break from the 80 deg weather, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
This is from the show "an idiot abroad", but it is funny, but shows you guys that have no idea of what deep snow is like to travel through. In 1992, we had almost 12 feet of snowfall, in this area. Had Chris just walked in without snowshoes he would have been in deeper snow than these guys are in. His only option was to follow the snowmachine trail the guys going out to their cabins and running traplines.

The reason I point this out, is because the book and movie make the claim he wandered through the wilderness, if he did, it would be a few hundred yards a day at best and he would have been exhausted. The snowmachine trail goes right by the bus down the orginal roadbed to the mines. Without snowshoes, skis or a snowmachine he simply couldn't have done any traveling as claimed.

Enjoy the video!

An Idiot Abroad 2 - Karl struggles with deep snow - YouTube

Old 02-14-2012, 05:56 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
the hate is as silly as putting him on a pedestal. People are always worried so much about what others do. If someone wants to trek out into the Alaskan wilderness unprepared, more power to them. It's none of my business, but some people just have this need to make everyone else's business their own. Whatever.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
The entire point of this thread is faulty. McCandless followed a broken trail? This is not exactly earth shattering news. No one seriously thinks he went out and made a trail to the bus. It is well known that the Stampede Trail was established. Chris himself was under no illusions that he was breaking a new trail. So what is the point of creating a thread to say the trail was broken? Ah yes - another oppurtunity to bash McCandless - by hinting that a blatant falsehood is actually true.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
The entire point of this thread is faulty. McCandless followed a broken trail? This is not exactly earth shattering news. No one seriously thinks he went out and made a trail to the bus. It is well known that the Stampede Trail was established. Chris himself was under no illusions that he was breaking a new trail. So what is the point of creating a thread to say the trail was broken? Ah yes - another oppurtunity to bash McCandless - by hinting that a blatant falsehood is actually true.

No, it was Hollywood that made it look as if he was exploring into the wilderness on his own. And people never give it a second thought for its accuracy.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
No, it was Hollywood that made it look as if he was exploring into the wilderness on his own. And people never give it a second thought for its accuracy.
You must have watched another movie. The film I viewed clearly shows the Stampede Trail sign, Galien driving on the road, and Chris walking on it to the bus. The movie portrays this just as the book does. You have set up a straw man argument so you can tear it down. Chris knew he was travelling on an established road. The entire purpose of this thread is to plant a seed in the mind of uninformed people that Chris thought he was exploring untamed wilderness, so you can continue to bash him. Pathetic.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Lord: please save me from McCandless' idiot followers. Amen.
I just thought this bears repeating......

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
the hate is as silly as putting him on a pedestal. People are always worried so much about what others do. If someone wants to trek out into the Alaskan wilderness unprepared, more power to them. It's none of my business, but some people just have this need to make everyone else's business their own. Whatever.
Actually that's not strictly true.

If someone unprepared tears up my trail so it's impassable, is that none of my business?

If someone unprepared sets alight to the forest and burns down the homes of 20 people living here, is that none of their business?

If someone unprepared shoots and injures a bear that they've attracted in their own ignorance, that then comes by your place and almost mauls your 5 year old, is that none of your business?

If someone shoots your house when they are hunting on your land without your permission, because they didn't check the public lands maps, is that none of your business?

While I'm all for letting people do what they want to do when it has no risk attached to me, I'm certainly very concerned when people come out here, trying to be Davy Crockett, and put me, my family, and my property at risk by their own ignorance.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You must have watched another movie. The film I viewed clearly shows the Stampede Trail sign, Galien driving on the road, and Chris walking on it to the bus. The movie portrays this just as the book does. You have set up a straw man argument so you can tear it down. Chris knew he was travelling on an established road. The entire purpose of this thread is to plant a seed in the mind of uninformed people that Chris thought he was exploring untamed wilderness, so you can continue to bash him. Pathetic.

Big differance between the Stampede road you can drive to the end of and the Stampede trail that goes beyond. The book and movie didn't make the differance between the two. He was shown wandering all around and came accross the bus from down on the river, when in reality he just walked up to the bus from the snowmachine trail, not the river... Besides, the snow was too deep that year to be down on.

There is no romance here, he just walked down an established trail and came to the bus. Kinda like walking down a funnel he wasn't drawn to the bus, it was a trail side attraction for years.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,771 times
I'm not taking any sides as I have no horse in this race, but it sure appears as if starlite9 is the one obsessed with McCandless. I read this forum much more than I post, and I cannot recall anyone who spends more time talking about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska