Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,057 times

Advertisements

Tigre... wow... snow forts creating themselves ... and the winter has a ways to go yet. Ship if you like snow Valdez is the place to be. Having a snow machine would definitely be a necessity for sure!!... Thank you Tigre for sharing these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
My current lens doesn't have anti-shake. I need to learn how to keep still, no tripod.

Sundogs!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
Nice Sundogs Warpt

Old 12-27-2011, 04:57 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
My current lens doesn't have anti-shake. I need to learn how to keep still, no tripod.

Sundogs!

Lock your elbows into your ribs. Take a deep breath; let half out; hold & squeeze the shutter release.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
wow tigre! certainly not the Valdez i saw in late July/early August! incredible pics! gives me a real good idea of how much snow is dumped on Valdez. beautiful! gosh i love Valdez!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Looking down Meals Street toward the harbor.

Visitors center.

"Downtown" Valdez and one of the snow piles.

The central park strip in town, which in the winter is a snow dump. The sign is about 6 feet high.

One of the playgrounds in the park. Top of the swing set is at knee-level.

My street.

The electric company.

Landshark's bar and No Name Pizza.

My friends' dog playing in their front yard.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
wow tigre! certainly not the Valdez i saw in late July/early August! incredible pics! gives me a real good idea of how much snow is dumped on Valdez. beautiful! gosh i love Valdez!!
The pics Tigre put up are indeed nice, but that much snow can get real old real fast. I lived in an area where we got almost 200 inches every winter and it got to be a PITA.

Clearing the driveway, roof of your house, buried cars, and all the other crap you have to deal with when you get gobs and gobs and gobs of snow like Valdez does.

Of course, some people don't mind it at all, especially those who enjoy the outdoors and haven't yet approached the age where accordion music rocks!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
The pics Tigre put up are indeed nice, but that much snow can get real old real fast. I lived in an area where we got almost 200 inches every winter and it got to be a PITA.

Clearing the driveway, roof of your house, buried cars, and all the other crap you have to deal with when you get gobs and gobs and gobs of snow like Valdez does.

Of course, some people don't mind it at all, especially those who enjoy the outdoors and haven't yet approached the age where accordion music rocks!
Yeah no kidding. When I was living in Vermont, in a town that surely gets as much snow as just about anywhere, a fellow's roof caved in down the street because his ice dams had gotten so bad and he had neglected to rake his roof for so long. He lost some completely irreplaceable things. That kind of snow can wreak havoc if you just ignore it and let it pile up like that. Not to mention the eternal problem of sleeping in a little too late and not really having time to dig your car out and still make it to work on time.

That said, I would still move to Valdez in a heartbeat if there was employment for me there. It's exactly the kind of place I've always dreamed of living in. Beautiful, often foggy, lots of snow and other inclement weather, mountains for snowmachining, water for boating, and what I'm sure is a pretty close-knit community. I could be accused of having stars in my eyes, I suppose, but I would hope that you folks can see that I'm also well aware of the hardships that go along with it.

Sorry, I know, photos.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
yep, if Valdez had a military post or VA, i'd choose it in a heartbeat....but then again, if it DID, it wouldnt be the Valdez that it is right now. so thank goodness for that.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 PM

468 posts, read 799,421 times
I have a stupid question. Is this Mt. McKinley or just another pretty mountain? I took this yesterday, while driving north on the Parks Hwy.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:48 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,060 times
If you were anywhere near or just north of Talkeetna then yes it is Denali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska