Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I had to really crop the last one, it had some really funky distorted stuff on the side due to me zooming so close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
Ohhhhh, Dawn...what a lovely mite!! She looks as though she means business! I cannot wait to get our own baby...then we'll have to have doggy days.

Beautiful images, Ed...what a lovely sunset, yes? I shot off some frames, but have yet to download them.

CC- that wee dandy of a squirrel doesn't limit himself to just sunflower seeds. The family hasn't arrived yet

Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Similar to previous one i posted, except that I took this one today. It's a RAW image PP with PSE6 (Macintosh) so that the photo looks sort of surreal. All I had to do was to reduce the photo clarity to zero.

This one I took just after the ice on the Chena River melted last year. During the last Yukon Quest, the mushers and dog teams traveled from right to left on the way out, right in front of the island.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Very nice Ray.
Something about a birch forest always looks surreal to me, winter or summer.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:43 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Very nice Ray.
Something about a birch forest always looks surreal to me, winter or summer.
Yes, birch trees are incredibly beautiful.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:50 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Here's a picture that was posted a couple weeks ago to the Alaska Outdoor Photography Forum by user "mve". The text said it was a '"Ship" in Seldovia harbor'.

I wonder if this rings any bells with Warptman, and if he can tell by looking at it if that is in fact the pilot boat Husky II that used to work the Kuskokwim from the Bering Sea to the Bethel. And I can't for the life of me remember the name of they guy that ran it! He was a genuine character, and used to sell tax free cigarettes to Chuck Pensguard who ran the "Old Pool Hall".

Anyway, I can't tell if that's the same boat or not.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:50 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
I did a google search and it confirmed the boat in Seldovia is in fact the same pilot boat. There was mention of a "Ronnie Sumstad", which is probably the son of the fellow I knew, whose name came back to me when I saw that. Oly Sumstad was the name of the fellow who ran the original Husky and then the Husky II when it came on board in the late 1970's.

Unfortunately that search also turned up something which saddens my heart greatly. Paula Maloy, who worked on the Husky and before that had been a school teacher at Kipnuk and Chevak in the 1950's, passed away in December. She had lived in Albuquerque NM for many years now, which is where I last saw her in 1998. She knew all of the elders in my wife's family (many of whom were from Kipnuk), and two of her children married the children of friends of mine. Talking to her was a lot like "old home week".

Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Great photos Ray!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:44 AM

149 posts, read 366,550 times
oh wow, great pictures nephler the first 2 our my favorites.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:35 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I did a google search and it confirmed the boat in Seldovia is in fact the same pilot boat. There was mention of a "Ronnie Sumstad", which is probably the son of the fellow I knew, whose name came back to me when I saw that. Oly Sumstad was the name of the fellow who ran the original Husky and then the Husky II when it came on board in the late 1970's.

Unfortunately that search also turned up something which saddens my heart greatly. Paula Maloy, who worked on the Husky and before that had been a school teacher at Kipnuk and Chevak in the 1950's, passed away in December. She had lived in Albuquerque NM for many years now, which is where I last saw her in 1998. She knew all of the elders in my wife's family (many of whom were from Kipnuk), and two of her children married the children of friends of mine. Talking to her was a lot like "old home week".
oh what a way to find out such sad news....sorry for you loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska