Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 07:35 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,802,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Right! The point is that I keep my pics (as well as many others) in this website by name Radical-Photo: http://www.radikal.ru/
On the one hand this Service economizes the possibility of PC and the other hand mainly it allows to get the different links to post the pics everywhere you want. As for me so I have my several albums there and am useing it to post my pics including this forum.
A lot of us use a similar site called photobucket here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:50 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,444,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
A lot of us use a similar site called photobucket here...
I suspect a lot of you of useing a similar site

Last edited by Лютый; 11-10-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 PM

854 posts, read 1,971,509 times
i use flickr.com for hosting photos.

i like a lot of the features- i always mark the location of photos on the map they provide for you. i find it interesting when other people do that, makes it easy to satisfy your curiosity about certain areas.

here's me: Flickr: bortstc37's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40561993@N05/ - broken link)

Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,628,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
what do you use and like for a tripod??? any advice on reasonably priced tripod that will support a good size hunk of glass??? Solid support for Nikon D70s with a Nikon AF-S 80-200 ED lens. Height is also important. thanks
A few thoughts on tripods...

Tripod stability is derived from two sources: money and/or weight. There is no such thing as a lightweight inexpensive tripod that is stable! A stable tripod that is light enough to pack around is going to be expensive.

But tripods get used for at least two different things too, and a stable platform is only one of them. The other use is as a third hand, to hold the weight, and for that it need not necessarily be any more stable than your other two hands. And an inexpensive tripod can do that..., but just don't mistake it for a stable platform (necessary for high magnification macro or telephoto work, or in dim light where the exposure times are long).

A really good article on the philosophy of buying a tripod is available from Thom Hogan,

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

He of course it referring to a stable platform, not just a third hand to hold a camera, and the advice is for serious photographers that are critical.

Stability that you can carry around is going to cost money. A $200 tripod will hold the camera, but won't be stable.

Generally, carbon fiber is better (and is also lighter and more expensive). Fewer leg extension is better, and a center column is never stable (sidearm or boom extensions are even worse).

Gitzo is the best, but Manfrotto/Bogen is more affordable. Others cost less but are not as durable/versatile/usable.

With a 200mm lens you are right on the edge of requiring a stable platform, but it isn't quite critical for most uses. If you are ever going to invest in a 300mm or longer lens, do yourself a favor now and get a stable tripod.

Outdoors I use a carbon fiber Gitzo GT3530 with the center column replaced by a Merkins mount. I also use a variety of heads, a Majestic gearhead, a Bogen ballhead, and a Bogen gimbal head (notice no pan head). For indoor use I have an old Majestic 2500 (an aluminum model that weighs in at 18 pounds). It usually just has a gearhead with a 4-way focusing rail on it. Those two pretty much demonstrate the range of inexpensive but heavy to lighter but more expensive.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,365,227 times
Checked out the photos Lyuty and Bortstc37..they are wonderful.

Bortstc37 I'm totally wanting to dognap Kobuk, that pupster rocks.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:59 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,689,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
A few thoughts on tripods...

Tripod stability is derived from two sources: money and/or weight. There is no such thing as a lightweight inexpensive tripod that is stable! A stable tripod that is light enough to pack around is going to be expensive.

But tripods get used for at least two different things too, and a stable platform is only one of them. The other use is as a third hand, to hold the weight, and for that it need not necessarily be any more stable than your other two hands. And an inexpensive tripod can do that..., but just don't mistake it for a stable platform (necessary for high magnification macro or telephoto work, or in dim light where the exposure times are long).

A really good article on the philosophy of buying a tripod is available from Thom Hogan,

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

He of course it referring to a stable platform, not just a third hand to hold a camera, and the advice is for serious photographers that are critical.

Stability that you can carry around is going to cost money. A $200 tripod will hold the camera, but won't be stable.

Generally, carbon fiber is better (and is also lighter and more expensive). Fewer leg extension is better, and a center column is never stable (sidearm or boom extensions are even worse).

Gitzo is the best, but Manfrotto/Bogen is more affordable. Others cost less but are not as durable/versatile/usable.

With a 200mm lens you are right on the edge of requiring a stable platform, but it isn't quite critical for most uses. If you are ever going to invest in a 300mm or longer lens, do yourself a favor now and get a stable tripod.

Outdoors I use a carbon fiber Gitzo GT3530 with the center column replaced by a Merkins mount. I also use a variety of heads, a Majestic gearhead, a Bogen ballhead, and a Bogen gimbal head (notice no pan head). For indoor use I have an old Majestic 2500 (an aluminum model that weighs in at 18 pounds). It usually just has a gearhead with a 4-way focusing rail on it. Those two pretty much demonstrate the range of inexpensive but heavy to lighter but more expensive.
thanks Floyd!! I had bookmarked Hogan's site and was reading it just before I posted. You clarified the info nicely for me. I am looking at the carbon fiber so I am on the right track. Does yours have a center column that raise and extend out for downward shots?? Why do you not use a pan head?? thanks for the info.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Does yours have a center column that raise and extend out for downward shots?? Why do you not use a pan head?? thanks for the info.
My carbon fiber tripod has a center column... but I swap it with a Merkins base (no column, just a solid base with a large standard 3/8" screw mount). Ideally I'd like to be able to switch back and forth in a few seconds, but it doesn't work that easy... :-)

The center column is very nice for easy height adjustment when the tripod is just used to hold all the weight. Lots of event photography is like that, where 3-4 hours of holding a camera would just be too much, but I'm shooting with shutter speeds that would allow hand holding the camera too, and a stable platform isn't really a necessity.

Of course otherwise, the problem is that a column isn't stable! Not only is it not stable when raised, it isn't even as stable when bottomed out. It also limits how low to the ground the camera can be set by spreading the legs apart, because the danged center column hits bottom when the camera is still about a foot and a half high due to the length of the column below the legs combined with the height of the ballhead above.

Hence when the need is for a stable platform (for high magnification macro/telephoto work, or relatively slow shutter speeds), using the Merkins mount is an improvement. It takes a few minutes to swap back and forth, so I don't do it for fun, and usually use it without the center column.

A pan head is wonderful for video. I don't do video... :-) Most of them are so wobbly it is a joke in terms of a stable platform.

For most of what I do it's a pick between a very robust ballhead or a gimbal head for telephoto. I use a gearhead for macro work where focusing and framing is done with camera movements using the head and a 4-way focusing rail. I have a 3/8" stud mount adapter that fits the tripod mount and I use the same Majestic gearhead that fits on the Majestic 2500 tripod that is too heavy to carry out the door. Normally the gearhead and the 4-way rail are just permanently attached to that tripod, which stays inside.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
a center column that raise and extend out for downward shots??
All that, and I missed the "extend out for downward shots".

I actually own the most stable sidearm ever made for a tripod. Majestic used to sell a dual tube braced sidearm (model 8030A). Big, heavy duty... and still vibrates like a piano string too!

There is no such thing as a sidearm, outrigger, boom, or whatever, that is stable.

The closest thing I know of is to mount one of the (huge) Majestic gearheads on a tripod, and use that as a platform that can be at 90 degrees. Between the gearhead and mounting a regular ballhead to hold the camera, the camera is extended out far enough to be pointed straight down at the ground just off center from the middle of the tripod.

If that description doesn't draw a clear enough picture, just say so and I'll set it up and take a shot of it to post here.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM

4,988 posts, read 9,990,394 times
Quote:
thanks Floyd!! I had bookmarked Hogan's site and was reading it just before I posted. You clarified the info nicely for me. I am looking at the carbon fiber so I am on the right track. Does yours have a center column that raise and extend out for downward shots?? Why do you not use a pan head?? thanks for the info.
For the second time in recent memory, I agree with Floyd. Everything he has told you (about tripods) is spot on. Only thing I can add is that the Gitzo 3530 CF tripod has been replaced by a newer version, the 3531. Basically the same tripod, with a slight improvement to the leg locking collars.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:14 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,689,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
All that, and I missed the "extend out for downward shots".

I actually own the most stable sidearm ever made for a tripod. Majestic used to sell a dual tube braced sidearm (model 8030A). Big, heavy duty... and still vibrates like a piano string too!

There is no such thing as a sidearm, outrigger, boom, or whatever, that is stable.

The closest thing I know of is to mount one of the (huge) Majestic gearheads on a tripod, and use that as a platform that can be at 90 degrees. Between the gearhead and mounting a regular ballhead to hold the camera, the camera is extended out far enough to be pointed straight down at the ground just off center from the middle of the tripod.

If that description doesn't draw a clear enough picture, just say so and I'll set it up and take a shot of it to post here.
I think it is clear but...don't set it up specially to take a picture....if and when you have it set up shoot a pic my way of it!!! Thanks for the info and Moose thanks for the update of the newer version of tripod!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska