U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 03:08 PM

437 posts, read 686,728 times

Advertisements

Yup, never met nicer people. When I first moved up in 2001 I was so surprised at how friendly everyone was. Sure isn't like that here. If your not family or part of the "clan", might as well forget it.

I'm glad you like the pics. It's hard to believe those 10 days went by so quickly but then again so did the 7 years I was there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Oh AKRaven... I love that church too... I've seen so many different pictures on CD and also books I've purchased about Alaska... I'm so with you... I do want to live where my heart and soul seemed the happiest.. hard to believe that 25 days in my life could determine that but it's not just the amazing beauty but the people I met there while visiting. Nothing like the lower 48 thank goodness !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 04:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,257,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
Yup, never met nicer people. When I first moved up in 2001 I was so surprised at how friendly everyone was. Sure isn't like that here. If your not family or part of the "clan", might as well forget it.

I'm glad you like the pics. It's hard to believe those 10 days went by so quickly but then again so did the 7 years I was there...
Aren't you living in Wisconsin? Maybe it depends on the region, but the last time I was in Wisconsin, I couldn't have asked for nicer, more welcoming people. Then again, I was from outside the area, and I guess they supposed I was bringing my money to contribute to their economy (which I was), so I suppose they would be nice to anyone bringing them money, eh?

I don't know, just surprised to hear the whole "clannish" thing going on there. It's real clannish here, but this is Appalachia, hell we're known for that around here. Settled by Ulster Scots, you know. But the upper Midwest... especially Michigan, I just was always taken aback by how friendly and welcoming those folks are.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,496,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
But the upper Midwest... especially Michigan, I just was always taken aback by how friendly and welcoming those folks are.
Yeah, we're a friendly folk, eh

Old 10-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Yes, I am living in NW WI and I never gave it much thought until I moved away and then moved back. I've found the people here not open to new people. Friendships are formed and continue with the same poeple that have lived here forever. From schools days to adulthood. Newcomers, at least as far as I can tell, are not welcomed. Many people in this area have hardly left the county all their lives and it's been a difficult time living back here. It's a very conservative area and hasn't changed much over time with the exception of places like fast food eateries. I, on the other hand, am an artist and quite outgoing but there is no art culture here to speak of and I just don't fit in anymore. No family, nothing. I've not spent much time in Michigan so I can't say anything about that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Aren't you living in Wisconsin? Maybe it depends on the region, but the last time I was in Wisconsin, I couldn't have asked for nicer, more welcoming people. Then again, I was from outside the area, and I guess they supposed I was bringing my money to contribute to their economy (which I was), so I suppose they would be nice to anyone bringing them money, eh?

I don't know, just surprised to hear the whole "clannish" thing going on there. It's real clannish here, but this is Appalachia, hell we're known for that around here. Settled by Ulster Scots, you know. But the upper Midwest... especially Michigan, I just was always taken aback by how friendly and welcoming those folks are.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,419,089 times
Ahh... Wisconsin... at a packers game... EVERYBODY is your buddy... LOL.. so much fun at the stadium.. like the announcers always say... "Really hard to describe".Sorry it is football season

Now I know my neighbors on my side of the block but I'm outside remodeling, raking, shoveling snow etc and I'm very outgoing.. I love to get to know who lives by me... I've got their back and they've got mine. When I talk with my other friends,they tell me that is rare that I know so many of my neighbors. So Ship... there are a lot of very nice people but they've forgot how to interact with each other... I don't know really what it is because I just greet them with interest and a smile.... but I know what AKraven means.... Who was it in the forum that said it takes a different kind of attitude to make it in Alaska?... That is what I loved most... enjoy Friday evening everyone

Old 10-15-2011, 01:34 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,763,495 times
From a recent pit stop in Homer

Mt.Redoubt

Some from the Salty Dawg Saloon

Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 AM

Default Silly City Girls

Hey, I've got some from the Salty Dog too! I wanted to go back and spend some time there but those silly city girls I was with didn't want to. But one of the gals and I shut down AJ's one night. We had a great time singing karaoke!

Fritz Creek Post Office/General Store

And who'd a thunk there was a gourmet restaurant right across the street. Had FAB food too but the post office was my kind of place really. You could get great sandwiches there and coffee. I loved talking with the dude that was working the night we stopped in. Great place and everyone had great stories.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,555,497 times
I love the Fritz Creek General Store-it is like stepping back in time in a good way. Our property is only about a mile from there. They also have fabulous baked goods which I do my best to not be tempted by. Just beyond them, around the corner is the Fritz Creek Nursery, a feast for the eyes and spirit. The nursery got a good portion of my building fund this summer.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:02 PM

21,363 posts, read 33,457,939 times
Mouse food..."Negaasget."

Rural Alaskan: Edible Plants "Negaasget"

My mother just got back from her home village with this.

http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/NPE/Cultural...RATNEQAIT.html

Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Yes, I loved it too Faith. I saw the baked goods and it was tempting but I behaved myself.

Ahhh, wish I'd known about the nursery. Years ago my SIL took me to a great nursery out that way somewhere but I don't think it was the one you are talking about. I don't recall it being so far out.

I wish I'd have known we were so close to you!!!! But now I know for the next time, hopefully this December I'll be back up looking at real-estate and doing some snowshoeing. Ill be in touch with you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I love the Fritz Creek General Store-it is like stepping back in time in a good way. Our property is only about a mile from there. They also have fabulous baked goods which I do my best to not be tempted by. Just beyond them, around the corner is the Fritz Creek Nursery, a feast for the eyes and spirit. The nursery got a good portion of my building fund this summer.

Last edited by akravenlady; 10-15-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska