U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM

396 posts, read 316,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
That school (lunabell) looks just like the school in Point Hope - even with the conex units in the same exact place.

Well if you enjoy it now living there, it is only going to get better !! Yes you did spell the Inupiaq word for Caribou correctly!!
I finally got a word correct! yay! My husband should feel right at home then, since all the teachers are heading to Point Hope later in the week for a district wide inservice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Where are you at Lunabell?
I am in Atqasuk. It is about 60 miles south of Barrow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 02:50 PM

633 posts, read 894,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
I finally got a word correct! yay! My husband should feel right at home then, since all the teachers are heading to Point Hope later in the week for a district wide inservice.

I am in Atqasuk. It is about 60 miles south of Barrow.
Wow...I enjoyed your pics. I had actually looked into the transitional teaching program for those that have a 4 year degree just not a teaching one. Then they ship out ...wherever I'm glad you all have been accepted.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:26 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,938,109 times
Indeed Lunabell, you are one lucky so-and-so. What did yall find for jobs in the village, if you don't mind my asking? I really want to try out a village one day, but I have absolutely no idea what kind of work I would find in one. I guess my best bet is after I get all my ratings for the flying I could try and snag a job with Hageland's or any of those small plane companies. Better get to work learning some STOL skills though! I'm getting a flight hour here or there lately, but I need to figure out a time when I can really devote all my energy and resources to getting fully certified to be compensated for flying. I know I want to do it for the rest of my life, I'm very passionate about it, so why not turn it into something I can profit from, right? ::awaiting discouraging comment from someone about how this is a hopeless idea::

Ravenlady... phenomenal pictures, especially the old shelter/cabin that seems to be, what, dug into the hillside there? And what river is that, the braided one that you took a close up photo of? In any case, if you've got more photos from the trip, keep em coming!

Oh yeah, and Warpt, about the akutaq... what's the most common type of berry along the Kuskokwim? Salmonberries? And I think I would like to have my akutaq made with whitefish and blueberries, but who knows. As long as I hear "tamarpeci nerluci", I'm happy. 'Course, I'm not sure I would recognize the phrase if I heard it. The Yup'ik pronunciations give me fits. Aqutak is "a-goo-duk", I mean come on! You would think whoever it was that turned the Yup'ik language into English letters would have made the letters match the pronunciation, but I guess he wanted to confuse everyone!

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 10-17-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 PM

396 posts, read 316,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Indeed Lunabell, you are one lucky so-and-so. What did yall find for jobs in the village, if you don't mind my asking? I really want to try out a village one day, but I have absolutely no idea what kind of work I would find in one. I guess my best bet is after I get all my ratings for the flying I could try and snag a job with Hageland's or any of those small plane companies. Better get to work learning some STOL skills though! I'm getting a flight hour here or there lately, but I need to figure out a time when I can really devote all my energy and resources to getting fully certified to be compensated for flying. I know I want to do it for the rest of my life, I'm very passionate about it, so why not turn it into something I can profit from, right? ::awaiting discouraging comment from someone about how this is a hopeless idea::
My husband is the school counselor here. I think working for a school district is probably the easiest way to work in a bush village. I don't know how long that will be true though. I think part of the long range plan for the NSBSD is to hire more Native teachers until the workforce is 50% Native. It makes sense since I think there is a pretty large cultural gap in the schools. Local people are hired for most of the other jobs here.

I don't know if the pilot idea is crazy or not. However, the pilot on my flight from Barrow on Friday is from Missouri, so it might work out for you.

You are getting a degree in Natural Resources, right? I am doing the same thing right now...nothing like being an "again" student. Oregon State University has a great distance program. I am considering looking into a transitional teaching program, like Molly313 mentioned after I get my degree. I don't know the particulars yet, since I need to work on the degree first. I would rather do something with natural resources, but if we stay here for a long time, I don't see many options for that. Anyhow, it might be worth checking into, if you really want to live in bush village.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM

1,632 posts, read 217,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post

Nice pics. When it's light enough outside to see, Alaska is a beautiful state.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,559,139 times
Oh you can get a job; but realize this; because of such high unemployment, Natives get preferential treatment (by law). And if you were able to get a job; its because no one else wants it. But even then - people will be upset that a white man has THAT job.

Exceptions are Kotzebue & Barrow. Smaller arctic villages; it is next to impossible, unless you have some much needed skill that is not present in the villages such as: electricians. Those they are in dire need of in every single village throughout the entire state. I was foreman for 3 villages @ once 88 -90 They wanted me in Barrow to take over the whole arctic. I said I do not want that mess. I want to go home @ night and relax; not be thinking what I have to do in so many different places, tomorrow. I've trained lots of apprentices in the arctic. Point Hope; Kotzebue, Pt. Lay, Kivalina, Wainwright & Barrow.

But everyone in any village will tell you the same thing. They know how!!

Until something doesn't work; then they always call me. Correctly wiring a light or a switch is not what makes an electrician.

$40 - $50 per hour w/ lots of over time!! There is the one job you could easily obtain

Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,928,583 times
this is THE photo thread!!! geeezzz photo's please!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 PM

437 posts, read 413,924 times
Thanks Ship!

It's the Matanuska River, Ship. Not terribly far out from Palmer. And that little cabin, I've been going there for 10 years, just to see if it's fallen into the river yet (same river). First time I found it, it was still standing and you could go inside. It's slowing falling apart over time. I was actually surprised to see it still standing last week when I was there. And no, it's not dug into the hillside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Ravenlady... phenomenal pictures, especially the old shelter/cabin that seems to be, what, dug into the hillside there? And what river is that, the braided one that you took a close up photo of? In any case, if you've got more photos from the trip, keep em coming!
Ack, I dunno what the heck happened with the quote thingy's.....lol....

Last edited by Rance; 10-17-2011 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Fixed it!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,371,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post

Well next time take me AKraven... LOL... I only work in the city... like to escape from the city whenever I can... Great photos.. I'd rep ya but won't let me yet...

Speaking of electrician... I certainly could use one right now... of course I will get it done myself like the rest of my projects

Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,371,413 times
Just ran across this and I thought all of you might enjoy this... pretty cool

Amazing nature - The Eagle Owl

It's an Eagle Owl at 1000 frames per second... never seen film like this before.. Have a great evening Carry on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska