Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,867,599 times

Advertisements

What a great website Warpt... thank you for that... I would love to be there someday to help gather/ collect these different "mouse foods" so see first hand what it takes to prepare from beginning to end since this seems to be the womans role in the fall. I agree with Blue about a separate blog about native culture and traditions. Cold weather is settling in there very fast I bet. time to start putting on the ski's on the planes soon... Enjoy your day everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM

468 posts, read 796,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Seal oil sounds gross? One thing I noticed is that the Yup'ik tend to love their seal oil; seems like it's the favored food additive, especially for dipping things in. I would most definitely try it. What is it that gets put in the ground and frozen? Is it herring? They talk about eating frozen pieces of herring (I think?) dipped in seal oil to make it more delicious. And I noticed also that they would always render the seal oil at the fish camps and bring it back to the villages in big barrels in the boats. All that notwithstanding, there is one thing the Yup'ik make that I am just dying to try: akutaq! Is it as good as it sounds, Warpt?
Seal oil is a staple up here too. From what I have read, it is a really healthy form of fat. I would love to try it sometime!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,766,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Seal oil is a staple up here too. From what I have read, it is a really healthy form of fat. I would love to try it sometime!
Flammable Fat - is widely used in all villages, for many different things, in addition to food.

Severe congestion ? Any elder will tell you to rub seal oil on your chest.

Aqutak is very good; each village has its own recipe; It varies from household to household and from village to village. Each recipe is distinct in its own ways. For instance in Point Hope - Bone Marrow is used as one of the many different ingredients; in addition to caribou meat and salmon berries. Other villages use crisco. Seal oil is prepared @ home. in the Arctic villages. Every house has a small bottle in the frig. I used to take a tablespoon every day @ noon for a couple of years - it thickens your blood, it does help to keep you much warmer.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Here are a few pics from Atqasuk. These were taken in September.

My younger two girls checking out the remains of a caribou (tuttu..sp?) head/antlers near the river.

Sunset over the lake.

Tundra pic by the river:

Full moon over the edge of town and the tundra

Last edited by Lunabell; 10-16-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 02:51 PM

And some October shots...yes winter is here!

Hoar frost on a cold, foggy evening:

Apparently my youngest thinks snow tastes good!

Fog bow? I am not even sure what is called. Fog was rolling in on the other side of town when this appeared.

One night, a young, frisky but basically nice dog got out. It ended up knocking my youngest down about 5 times. I was across the field and before I could get to her, some of the older kids stopped and grabbed her. She is with the older kids in the picture being pulled by the snow machine. She had such a good time that they gave her several rides that night. Very grateful to those kids for taking care of my baby!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,406,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
And some October shots...yes winter is here!

Hoar frost on a cold, foggy evening:

Apparently my youngest thinks snow tastes good!

Fog bow? I am not even sure what is called. Fog was rolling in on the other side of town when this appeared.

One night, a young, frisky but basically nice dog got out. It ended up knocking my youngest down about 5 times. I was across the field and before I could get to her, some of the older kids stopped and grabbed her. She is with the older kids in the picture being pulled by the snow machine. She had such a good time that they gave her several rides that night. Very grateful to those kids for taking care of my baby!

Yes, winter has arrived. Girls look happy. It is obvious all of you like your new move.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,032,970 times
Taken about 15 minutes ago.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,695,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Taken about 15 minutes ago.
sweeet...that is a massively wide rainbow!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:24 PM

20,277 posts, read 37,055,578 times
About a month ago:

Today:

Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,606,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
sweeet...that is a massively wide rainbow!
No kidding. That's about the biggest rainbow I've seen. Things may be bigger in TX, but they're the biggest in AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska