U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM

870 posts, read 691,868 times

Advertisements

Heres my plan: opinions please

I have done a lot of research, tell me if im wayyy off. Thanks

I am graduating with my degree in addictions counseling in december. I will start the certification process in NJ (which is virtually identical to AK) in January. I am enrolling Nursing school in September. By the start of nursing school I will be half way to certification. I will go down to part time work while in my first year of school. By the time I graduate nursing school in 3 years I will be a registered nurse and a certified drug and alcohol counselor.

We are also saving money and hope to by the time I graduate have about $20,000 saved. We plan to move to AK and use the saved money to live on and use as an escape plan if things dont work out. I know that cost of living is way higher there than most of the lower 48 but NJ isnt much lower. It is lower but not much, based on my research.

What do you guys think? Please be kind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,038,124 times
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

But if you have a RN nurse cert., the hospitals here will bend over backwards to get you here and will help you get set up to where you won't have to dig into your grubstake at all (that is your $20,000.00 planned savings)!

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanks. Im hoping that they will be fighting over me since I will have extra credentials but never hurts to be prepared!!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM

868 posts, read 2,452,464 times
Alaska is a huge state? Where are you planing on staying?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM

I dont want to live in a remote village to far north, no barrow or the like. Im kind of afraid of Fairbanks because of the huge weather swings from winter to summer. Im ok with very cold winters but I have heard that fairbanks gets really hot in summer and honestly im not interested in that, though im not ruling it out completely. I think at this point Im open to whatever. When it becomes time to start job hunting I will see where jobs are available and decide from there. But more than likely will start out somewhere in the western part of the state, near Anc or closeby, as that is safe for 'newbies"

I am actually excited to potentially apply for work in a village but who knows what will come of that.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 PM

Southeast has nice sized towns, very pretty but rains a lot. Anchorage and MatSu has too many people, but all the big city amenities. Fairbanks is like Anchorage use to be, but winters are a bit harsh, but warmer summers!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM

I also would love to live in the Pacific northwest but hubby doesnt want to live in rain all the time. LOL! But I love all the green. We have looked into Ketchikan area but im a little afraid of being off a road system with no big city nearby. Is that crazy? Can I find all the normal things in most places off the road system, food and household supplies?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM

13,049 posts, read 14,675,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Heres my plan: opinions please

I have done a lot of research, tell me if im wayyy off. Thanks

I am graduating with my degree in addictions counseling in december. I will start the certification process in NJ (which is virtually identical to AK) in January. I am enrolling Nursing school in September. By the start of nursing school I will be half way to certification. I will go down to part time work while in my first year of school. By the time I graduate nursing school in 3 years I will be a registered nurse and a certified drug and alcohol counselor.

We are also saving money and hope to by the time I graduate have about $20,000 saved. We plan to move to AK and use the saved money to live on and use as an escape plan if things dont work out. I know that cost of living is way higher there than most of the lower 48 but NJ isnt much lower. It is lower but not much, based on my research.

What do you guys think? Please be kind
Sounds like a good plan, except as follows:

a. The cost of living in Alaska is a lot higher than the cost of living in NJ.

b. Once you graduate and getting ready to move to Alaska, whatever you do don't arrive here without having a job first. Nowadays, after doing your homework and the right credentials, you can apply for work from anywhere in the nation.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I also would love to live in the Pacific northwest but hubby doesnt want to live in rain all the time. LOL! But I love all the green. We have looked into Ketchikan area but im a little afraid of being off a road system with no big city nearby. Is that crazy? Can I find all the normal things in most places off the road system, food and household supplies?
Well Ketchican is a fair sided Alaskan coastal town, but the road system in the town is like anyplace else. The Ferry system can take you to a road system where you can drive outside, but you have daily flights if you need to get somewhere faster.

Living on a boat in Southeast is what I've always wanted to do, you can fish right off the back porch!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Sounds like a good plan, except as follows:

a. The cost of living in Alaska is a lot higher than the cost of living in NJ.

b. Once you graduate and getting ready to move to Alaska, whatever you do don't arrive here without having a job first.
I am comparing living in Anc to the cost of what I pay for my life. Its less than there but from what I saw it wasnt toooo bad. Like what would cost 900-1000 here is like 1200-1500 there. Gas is way more expensive because our gas is fairly cheap. Fresh food is more expensive but we dont buy a lot anyway, we live on a tiny budget. Im also under the impression that generally you are paid accordingly to the increased COL. I am also married, and worried about him working up there... :/

I would never move 3000 miles away from home without a job, or a prospect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska