Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,856,481 times

Advertisements

…...what are you up to now?.......

What are you going to do with Ken now???!!!........

What the….???.....

….what did you do with Ken.....?

Guess Robot thought Ken was having too much fun!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM

393 posts, read 1,112,499 times
Pet moose?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,492,459 times
I didn't think moose were all that friendly, the way people talk about them... Apparently I was wrong.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Default Don’t try this at home!

Moose can be extremely dangerous!

This moose, that our boys have named Amber, hangs out in our neighborhood. We think that someone started feeding her, (which is illegal), when she was young. When she comes around she stands outside our house batting those big brown eyes wanting food. We have accidentally feed her once when our boys put out their jack-o-lanterns one Halloween so that maybe why she comes to our house. We will talk to her, pet her head and give her some scratches and she goes on her way.

We have a deck that is quite tall with a railing that keeps some distance between us. She has never been aggressive but we still don’t trust her completely. The only time that she made me nervous was once I was doing some yard work and she kind of sneaked up on me and nudged me in the back with her forehead as to say, “Here I am, pet me”. I retreated to our deck and she followed. Once on the deck I scratched her nose, chin, and behind her ears and she moved on.

In our neighborhood the snow is deep and there are high berms along the roads so that the moose are using the roads to get around. The morning that we took these photos several of the neighborhood kids were waiting for the school bus that stops about 100 feet from our house. We kept her entertained so she would not walk down the road to the bus stop where the kids were until they got on the bus.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Interesting and at least you are "taking care of her".

Old 02-23-2012, 12:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,960,753 times
Looks like it has been a long winter.

I went sailing for 4 hours yesterday, high was 86, good winds, down here in Austin, TX.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM

We played with moose.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM

85 here as well in good 'ole South FLA...

Makes me wonder what June - Sept. will be like.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,865,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post

This moose, that our boys have named Amber, hangs out in our neighborhood. We think that someone started feeding her, (which is illegal), when she was young. When she comes around she stands outside our house batting those big brown eyes wanting food. We have accidentally feed her once when our boys put out their jack-o-lanterns one Halloween so that maybe why she comes to our house. We will talk to her, pet her head and give her some scratches and she goes on her way.

We have a deck that is quite tall with a railing that keeps some distance between us. She has never been aggressive but we still don’t trust her completely. The only time that she made me nervous was once I was doing some yard work and she kind of sneaked up on me and nudged me in the back with her forehead as to say, “Here I am, pet me”. I retreated to our deck and she followed. Once on the deck I scratched her nose, chin, and behind her ears and she moved on.

In our neighborhood the snow is deep and there are high berms along the roads so that the moose are using the roads to get around. The morning that we took these photos several of the neighborhood kids were waiting for the school bus that stops about 100 feet from our house. We kept her entertained so she would not walk down the road to the bus stop where the kids were until they got on the bus.
That's a pretty cool story! My kids used to hate walking to school when there were moose out in Anchorage.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM

393 posts, read 1,112,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
That's what I've been led to believe, so I was surprised that you were even able to approach this animal, much less put things on it. I've read that moose are foul-tempered creatures who wish nothing more than death to all other creatures, particularly humans, and they have the means to inflict it.

This thread reminded me of a funny song a radio station out of Shreveport, Louisiana, used to play, called, "There's a Moose in my House." It's about a man who suspects he has a moose living in his house. His suspicions began when he noticed that someone had used his toothbrush and subscribed him to "Audubon" magazine. A group of little boys came into his yard and nosed around his home. When he asked what they were doing, they said, "We're moose hunters, and we think you are hiding a moose!" It's a funny song, but I haven't heard it in a decade and I can't find it anywhere.

Edit: A-n-d... now I find it!

"I checked the mail and found a box from the Sierra Club
I ran into the bathroom and found moose hair in my tub
My bill from Bell has phone calls to the Yukon and Montana
My tooth brush smells like moose breath, I'm missing my pajamas"

"Big Head Todd And The Monsters - Moose In My House Lyrics"
http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/b/bigh...use331706.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: