U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,257,512 times
Gee... I have a lot of catching up to do... ... great posts and info... plenty of smiles here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 03:39 PM

3,583 posts, read 3,685,146 times
I'd like a recap after so many pages... Here is what I understand so far:

1. You can live off the land, if you learn to live the Alaskan way and throw everything you think you know about living off the land in the lower 48. I can't even get weeds to grow in my yard so not worried about thinking I could do anything useful anywhere else...

2. There is a grandiose view of living in AK - that everything is picture perfect and there is an easy way to live inexpensively off of the land. (which is a generally false)

3. For thousands of years, people have lived off the land in AK by subsistence hunting and gathering.

4. Everyone outside of AK thinks that trees, rivers, fish, polar/bears and mountains are everywhere and altogether in AK.

How am I doing so far?

The old advice from the Alaskan 'elders' of this blog should be a sticky... Thinking of moving to AK - Plan a visit first and have enough in cash reserves for a return trip... Or even better, buy a roundtrip ticket. Worst case is you get to visit your previous home state/area and say hello to family and friends you left behind...

Old 03-25-2012, 04:09 PM

15,788 posts, read 15,125,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

4. Everyone outside of AK thinks that trees, rivers, fish, polar/bears and mountains are everywhere and altogether in AK.

I'm short on time right now, but no one mentioned anything about "everyone outside of AK." We were responding to one individual who did seem to have this misconception.

Yes, it is a land for hunters and gatherers. Depending on traditional European-based agricultural practices to provide is a recipe for starvation outside of a very small part of the state, and even then, it's iffy.

Alaska is sparsely populated for good reason. Caucasians who migrated to North America traditionally migrated to parts of North America where they could farm.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM

1,254 posts, read 875,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
3. For thousands of years, people have lived off the land in AK by subsistence hunting and gathering.
Based on thousands of years of accumulated experience, of course, within communities built around the life. And with mistakes or misfortune meaning death for you and for the people you care about.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 PM

60 posts, read 86,853 times
Why does everyone assume I plan on living in the bush somewhere and why does everyone try to discourage me about moving to Alaksa? I am not stupid about Alaska weather. My kids will go to school that teach a better classes than the lower 48 Unless someone trys to tell me there arnt any schools there. I asked for advicce and all you guys say is that I can't do it. I will be in Alaska this summer and I might not beable to live in bfe right away Off grid means something diffrent to everyone like I have said before. And what misconceptions do you all think I have? I think that Alaska has things that no other states have I think that I am going to be a tourist the rest of my life in Alaska I think I would never beable to see everything Alaska has to offer. and I am willing to live the workful peaceful life that Alaska will give us.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 PM

12,804 posts, read 13,366,904 times
Well, you should not have any trouble living in Alaksa.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:24 PM

60 posts, read 86,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, you should not have any trouble living in Alaksa.
thats the best thing I have heard

Old 03-25-2012, 05:58 PM

3,583 posts, read 3,685,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm short on time right now, but no one mentioned anything about "everyone outside of AK." We were responding to one individual who did seem to have this misconception.

Yes, it is a land for hunters and gatherers. Depending on traditional European-based agricultural practices to provide is a recipe for starvation outside of a very small part of the state, and even then, it's iffy.

Alaska is sparsely populated for good reason. Caucasians who migrated to North America traditionally migrated to parts of North America where they could farm.
I was trying to be a little sarcastic... But point taken.
--
kay4ford - Good luck in your endeavors - at least to me you sound like you are preparing and learning about what you need to do, before you even get there. Something some other people didn't do and it cost them dearly. I don't think too many people here are trying to tell you NOT to go, more or what to expect and that your expectations may not be accurate. From what I have read, these are things that could very well save your life. Alaska to me, looks like it is very remote, environment can be very unforgiving for a very long period of time and help isn't always around the corner. Some remote areas look like you would really need to plan for months on end without being able to get to a grocery store - and I don;t know your hunting skills, but I do know that my hunting skills are not good enough to rely on being able to hunt for something to eat to avoid starving to death.

If this was something I wanted to do, I would visit, then move to a city there, then build/buy my remote cabin. Practice living there when I know I can get out if I have to, but pretend I can't... and see how that goes. Along the way, I am sure you will make friends, get good advice, and figure out what does and doesn't work in AK.

Keep us posted on your progress. I am pulling for you if that counts for anything.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay4ford View Post
Why does everyone assume I plan on living in the bush somewhere and why does everyone try to discourage me about moving to Alaksa? I am not stupid about Alaska weather. My kids will go to school that teach a better classes than the lower 48 Unless someone trys to tell me there arnt any schools there. I asked for advicce and all you guys say is that I can't do it. I will be in Alaska this summer and I might not beable to live in bfe right away Off grid means something diffrent to everyone like I have said before. And what misconceptions do you all think I have? I think that Alaska has things that no other states have I think that I am going to be a tourist the rest of my life in Alaska I think I would never beable to see everything Alaska has to offer. and I am willing to live the workful peaceful life that Alaska will give us.
I think some may be assuming that you plan on living in the bush because you keep saying that you want to live a "pioneer lifestyle." That's what pioneers did. Or did you fail to learn that in school along with basic English?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-25-2012 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 PM

Sorry to be rude, but it's becoming very common here for those who don't like the answers to the questions they ask to start sniping at those who took the time to answer their posts. I suppose that those of us who actually know something about Alaska could just start telling everyone whatever it is that they want to hear instead of the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska