Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Is it? The link pulled up a synopsis of what it was like for them. It sounds really very hard to survive like that. I'm not tough enough for sure.
Yep, a book of poetry of their time in the tent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:12 PM

60 posts, read 179,515 times
Thanks for all advice I will make sure when we get there I will let everyone know plans are to be there being of June

Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Wild horse in Alaska? Hmmm....

Maybe I should switch from moose to Spam made of horse meat?
That could only be an improvement...

Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
I know of this bus, just outside Healy...

It would be PERFECT!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM

60 posts, read 179,515 times
im not a fool im not going to go live in a bus or cross a creek this is a serious move for us living like a pioneer is a lifestyle choice that we have been living for years now I assumed people from there would be nicer when it came to real people living an off grid lifestyle

Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay4ford View Post
im not a fool im not going to go live in a bus or cross a creek this is a serious move for us living like a pioneer is a lifestyle choice that we have been living for years now I assumed people from there would be nicer when it came to real people living an off grid lifestyle
If only I had a nickel for everyone claiming they want to move to Alaska and live "like a pioneer" I could retire tomorrow.

Nobody is going to take you seriously, because everyone of the lower-48ers who posts that exact same ambition is seriously mentally disturbed. Just another Timothy Treadwell or Chris McCandless wannabe.

Come to Alaska, live off the grid, and die! Do not forget to drop off a postcard to Hollywood so they can come to Alaska and glorify your stupidity after your death for all to see.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,843 times
I love how everyone has to mention McCandless (or Treadwell) in these threads, yet nobody seems to want to talk about all of those who moved to (or already lived in Alaska) before the 1900s (or even the earlier decades of the 1900s).
How many people successfully lived "off-grid" back then? Tens of thousands, for sure. Many people are still doing it, yet it only takes a couple of well-publicized nutjobs for half of us to become armchair expert naysayers.
While I am also tired of seeing this same kind of thread over and over, the negative responses from Alaskans don't make it any better. Caution is good, but discouraging the few people who might still have pioneer spirit is a surefire way to make the state just like the lower 48.
If anything, they need honest advice about what it really entails. I suggest that we compile all of our best advice for folks like this and post it in a sticky with a title like "For all of you wanting to move up and live in a frontier lifestyle in a cabin and all that stuff..."

Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
I love how everyone has to mention McCandless (or Treadwell) in these threads, yet nobody seems to want to talk about all of those who moved to (or already lived in Alaska) before the 1900s (or even the earlier decades of the 1900s).
How many people successfully lived "off-grid" back then? Tens of thousands, for sure. Many people are still doing it, yet it only takes a couple of well-publicized nutjobs for half of us to become armchair expert naysayers.
While I am also tired of seeing this same kind of thread over and over, the negative responses from Alaskans don't make it any better. Caution is good, but discouraging the few people who might still have pioneer spirit is a surefire way to make the state just like the lower 48.
If anything, they need honest advice about what it really entails. I suggest that we compile all of our best advice for folks like this and post it in a sticky with a title like "For all of you wanting to move up and live in a frontier lifestyle in a cabin and all that stuff..."
That is because before 1900 there was no electricity anywhere for anyone. Everyone had to learn to can, pickle, smoke, salt, and otherwise preserve their foods without refrigeration. A century later and city critters are several generations removed from that reality, and as a result have absolutely no common sense. They are utterly dependent upon electricity, natural gas, roads, and the infrastructure necessary to help them out when they fail.

Why do you think city critters are the very first to receive aid in the event of a natural disaster? If their meat did not come cellophane-wrapped from grocery stores they would starve to death. They simply have no concept what is required to survive in any rural environment, much less one as harsh as Alaska.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,843 times
I agree, but anyone can do it if they are willing to learn (and to work their butts off). While these folks might seem a little clueless right now, they certainly don't sound like city critters and might do just fine if they get the right info and some encouragement.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
I guess I don't understand, because I am not an Alaskan... But what is the difference between living "remote" in a cold climate in the lower 48 and Alaska?

If they have been doing it "down" here, they will surely be able to "do it" in Alaska... Alaska isn't the Moon or Mars...

While deep down I would love to live "remote" and/or in a cabin, the reality is that I know I am not prepared to do so. At least not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska