U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,657,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay4ford View Post
"off grid" means something diffrent to everyone.
Yes it does. Off grid to me means going without electricity but to most it means making your own electricity. I like my way better...of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:07 PM

15,558 posts, read 14,656,861 times
Traditionally, those trying to live the pioneer dream did so by migrating to extremely survivable land that responded well to European-based agricultural techniques. For the most part, Alaska doesn't; that's why it's more cost-and-time effective to hunt, fish and scavenge for wild fruits than it is to raise animals and plants for consumption. Though gardens do well in some areas...and certainly have their place in the lives of those who are trying to be as self-sufficient as possible...it just isn't the same as the land that our pioneer ancestors were living on.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,363,143 times
When I make this list FBI — Ten Most Wanted , I'll give some serious consideration to living off the grid.

Until then, you can have my remote control when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 PM

871 posts, read 577,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I guess I don't understand, because I am not an Alaskan... But what is the difference between living "remote" in a cold climate in the lower 48 and Alaska?

If they have been doing it "down" here, they will surely be able to "do it" in Alaska... Alaska isn't the Moon or Mars...

While deep down I would love to live "remote" and/or in a cabin, the reality is that I know I am not prepared to do so. At least not yet.
Speaking even as one of the "city critters" for whom Glitch has shown such disdain, yes, it IS different. For one thing, a cold winter in Colorado is nothing at all like a cold winter up here, even in Anchorage, let alone in the interior.

Alaska is not the moon or Mars, but if you are truly remote, many miles from even the most primitive of roads, and there is an emergency, it may as well be. What if your home is inaccessible by road, and the weather is too bad for a plane or snowmachine to get there?

I am not saying this family is incapable of doing this, but I am saying that there is no sense at all in saying it will be the same as Colorado. It won't.

I am glad to see you are apparently willing to start off a little closer to, at least, a town, and get your feet wet gradually.

Last edited by LittleJazzyP; 03-19-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM

15,558 posts, read 14,656,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster
I guess I don't understand, because I am not an Alaskan... But what is the difference between living "remote" in a cold climate in the lower 48 and Alaska?

If they have been doing it "down" here, they will surely be able to "do it" in Alaska... Alaska isn't the Moon or Mars...

While deep down I would love to live "remote" and/or in a cabin, the reality is that I know I am not prepared to do so. At least not yet.
Distances are one difference. And living "remote" in Alaska and living "remote" in the lower 48 are two fairly vastly different things. I live in a remote part of Oregon, and it's on some of the most survivable land in the country. Not so for comparable parts of Alaska.

Another difference is soil. My part of Alaska actually had a warmer winter than I've had down here, and at first glance, you'd think it's prime gardening country there. Not so, without a lot of amendments and protections the way that people like Gramma's Cabin do it. The rain leaches the nutrients right out of the ground. There was an idiot on POW years ago who decided that his precious daughter needed to have a horse...and thought that the horse could survive off of grass...a horse could eat the available grass all day long on POW and still starve to death because it has so little nutrients in it. Down here, we still supplement grazing with other feed, but horses and cattle can survive on our grass alone if they have to.

Those who are growing great gardens down here will find a completely different situation in SE Alaska. It's completely doable there, but it's a different process, much more complex and time and labor intensive getting started.

The Homer area has some of the best loam soil in the world, but gardening for food consumption there has it's unique challenges that aren't found much in the lower 48. Gardening in the interior -- can be done, it's done all the time -- but crops are limited, the soil is often bad. The growing season is extremely short and very unpredictable.

I probably make it sound bad -- it isn't, it's just different, and what works in the lower 48 doesn't often work in Alaska. So no -- just because someone's done something in the lower 48 doesn't mean that they can bring the same practices to AK and make them work. Living off the land in the lower 48 usually means having a few animals and growing a big garden, but in many parts of Alaska, that's a recipe for starvation. Hunting, fishing and gathering wild vegetation all better uses of time and energy than standard agriculture practices.

So in some ways, Alaska really is the moon or Mars compared to the lower 48. That's why the people who immigrated to Alaska and who did well for themselves were most often people from Northern countries like Norway and Sweden. Look at Petersburg, AK---huge Scandinavian presence there, and they were successful because they knew the type of land that they were dealing with.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,657,382 times
I was also going to say that sometimes Alaska is like the moon. I challenge you to be 40 miles from the nearest village at night trying to start a fire to warm up and thaw some frost bite at -70 degrees and not feel like it's the moon. I remember making that exact comment.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM

60 posts, read 83,440 times
I guess if ak is is like the moon I wanna be there

Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM

3,468 posts, read 3,415,621 times
Thanks for the intelligent responses and education that you are giving me.

I truly have a lot of respect for the people that can live off-grid and off the land, regardless of where that is. Of course, off-grid to the people I work with means, using cash and not your credit card...

Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 PM

871 posts, read 577,728 times
Actually, some of the most fascinating people, to me, are the ones who manage to live more or less off-grid in the midst of an urban environment. They usually have city water, to comply with local zoning, but aside from that, they use alternative energy and have often raised an astonishing amount of food on very little land.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM

60 posts, read 83,440 times
I just want a peaceful workful life and Alaska is the best place to find that with all the pretty things that come with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska