Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 4,264 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, purchased a 22' Wooldridge Classic with Jet and Trim Tabs at end of last summer and want to sail the blue as many days as possible this summer either as a tag-along fisherman or in my own craft with tag alongs to build knowledge and experience in a guy that's never sailed deep water, salt water, or run a river in a Jet Boat.

Since I am totally ignorant in this regard I anticipate many adventures and near misses and lay myself open now to any and all advice from Sage Captains in advance of the summer when I expect to haunt the landings seeking them, and it.

Never posted on a Forum or internet before... could well be all wet... so please send me to the right places to connect over the next month of research. Thank you most kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 11:01 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
In addition to whatever advice you get here, you might also try posting on the Alaska Outdoors Forum:
Alaska Boating Forums

Old 04-19-2014, 11:54 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Get yourself a chart of PWS as well as a Garmin or something to locate yourself with. PWS is loaded with very cool places to explore, glaciers to see, whales to watch, fish to catch. But it can also be a mother bear when it comes to weather.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Hopefully you don't run into mother bear when you are exploring PWS...

Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
The best way is to spend time with some of the experienced boaters in that area before venturing out. Most coastal areas around Homer, Seward, Valdez, and such can be quite rough and dangerous. A coworker of mine spends some time on his boat around PWS, but he has a lot of sea experience, and knows where to get away from the wind for the night. Sometimes the wind is so strong and waves so high, that he just stays in place until the weather changes, before turning around. When foggy he stays close to the shoreline and steers his boat with the use of a GPS and sonar. A few years ago he used a 14-foot Zodiac

Old 04-20-2014, 02:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
I know I will go exploring when we move to AK, but not without some training and/or with someone that is experienced in the area I want to explore.

I know enough, to know, that I don't know enough, to just go out on my own - if that makes sense.

Only places I have been overnight in a small boat didn't have the possibility of large waves or being swept out to sea. Granted, they were alligator and snake infested, which brings a different level of awareness and also a strong desire to not "fall off the boat."

Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 PM

Hi Guys, some great advice. One overriding theme throughout has been risks 'vs' adventure (or something that looks like it later...). It'd be crazy to set off on a 3 hour voyage in anything but good wx and decided that canvassing the launches, tagging along with more experienced skippers, and running for cover in more than "the nick of time" is a firm plan. These forums are excellent resources so cross-eyed reading them now before the real tests begin in a few weeks. Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The best way is to spend time with some of the experienced boaters in that area before venturing out. Most coastal areas around Homer, Seward, Valdez, and such can be quite rough and dangerous. A coworker of mine spends some time on his boat around PWS, but he has a lot of sea experience, and knows where to get away from the wind for the night. Sometimes the wind is so strong and waves so high, that he just stays in place until the weather changes, before turning around. When foggy he stays close to the shoreline and steers his boat with the use of a GPS and sonar. A few years ago he used a 14-foot Zodiac

Good advice. My friends have been sharing hair-raising stories of their own, seems like everybody gets squeezed at some point facing nature and I guess starting scared is the appropriate attitude for the bigger water.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

I was a fishing guide down Katmai way in a former life and always found that closing my eyes tightly and chanting over and over, "bears are my friend" "bears are my friend," works real well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska