Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 AM

11 posts, read 79,835 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Love the friendly feel you give to these forums, it really makes a difference to those of us on the outside looking in to feel like we're welcomed and have a source for knowledgable opinions, etc. So thanks

I'm considering a move to the Homer area after my child graduates from HS (seven years). I'm tied to Maryland until this date so I have plenty of time to consider and plan. I've looked at the AK Job Search website and follow the classifieds but wonder what your opinion of the Homer job market is like. Currently, what are the most in demand fields and skill sets? I'm a very experienced admin assist but expect that that might not be as good a field there as it is here I have the ability to retrain if desired, anything the local comm college offers, so am lucky in that respect.

Also, if you know the area, what would you consider a living wage for a late 40s single woman with dogs who doesn't need a big house or flashy car to feel worthwhile?

And yes I do intend to visit the area at least once before moving. I lived in AK as a child in the early 70s and have very fond memories of Homer. Visited again in the late 80s. This may sound very silly but its my spiritual home and has called to me my entire life.

Thanks for your input - I really appreciate it

Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 09:45 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,708,201 times
We need us a Homer resident around here! There are schools, banks, restraunts, tourist/souvenier shops, and fishing boats or canneries, trucking...just to name a few ideas. My Mom moved down that way about 10 years ago and had no trouble finding decent work. I'm sure you'll find something to do. I have no idea of wage scales for these business'.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:00 PM

Hey Rance, thanks for the reply! Yep, there seems to be a variety there but I know things shut down a bit over the winter season and that's my concern. Saw a cute little coffee shop listed for sale there at an unbelievable price (vs. Maryland prices) but that was just dream real estate shopping. lol I know I'll find something when I get there - as long as its enough to keep me in simple food for myself and kibble for the dawgs its all good

Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM

Well you might have to become a jack of all trades for awhile...but I'm sure something will pan out for ya.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,195,552 times
There's a single lady just outside of Homer who blogs while living as a caretaker (winter) at a lodge there. Can't remember her website.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:28 PM

I'd love to read that blog if anyone can recall the address. Thanks for mentioning it!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM

Here's another thread on Homer:
Does anyone here live in Homer?

and the city web site:
Welcome to the City of Homer Home Page

Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 143,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
Hey Rance, thanks for the reply! Yep, there seems to be a variety there but I know things shut down a bit over the winter season and that's my concern. Saw a cute little coffee shop listed for sale there at an unbelievable price (vs. Maryland prices) but that was just dream real estate shopping. lol I know I'll find something when I get there - as long as its enough to keep me in simple food for myself and kibble for the dawgs its all good
Homer is a coffee town with very strong opinions. I would caution you away from pursuing this coffee shop unless you're pretty knowledgeable as the competition is very stiff. I would not move to Homer without a job lined up. It's an absolutely stunning place and a really wonderful community. That news has gotten out of the bag a bit now. Real estate prices are rising and the job market is competitive.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,453,888 times
I would vote for finding a place in Soldotna from there to Homer is not a bad drive down over to Seward or up to Ancorage. The Kenai section is so devirse. Drift boat fishing on the Kasilof river Halibut in Homer whats not to like.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM

763 posts, read 2,255,513 times
I live in Homer.

I love it!

But, it's expensive and the job market is... sparse.

It's affordable, but you don't have a lot left over like you would in other places.

I don't mind giving up stuff to live here, though. It's the most beautiful place on the face of God's green earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska