Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 PM

43 posts, read 138,645 times

Advertisements

10 hour flight from Tampa to ANC: $800 smackers
Downtown ANC Weekly Lodging Rate: $600 bucks
7 MAGNIFICENT Days soaking up the Last Frontier: PRICELESS.

Okay, Anchorage folks. Sorry for yet, another inquiry. I have seven days to explore the vast rugged beauty of the 49th state. I am based out of ANC.
Too many things I want to see and it's time to start narrowing 'em down. Please be kind and gimmee the scoop on what's truly worth seeing.

Here's what I've compiled so far
Palmer (musk-ox farm...wanted to see the reindeer farm, but they're apparently closed (for tours) for the season now. Any place to hike in Palmer

Talkeetna, Eagle River or Wasilla worth the drive?? What to do here?

Valdez seems far. I would LOVE to see the pipeline, but that would likely be a long day trip, and I'm wondering if the town is worth it. Denali and Fairbanks also seems a bit ambitious for this trip (I'm staying every night in ANC), but I would like to glimpse Mt. McKinley/Aurora...Will I be able to, from anywhere in ANC or do I need to drive up further north?

Seward/Exit Glacier seems nice (Portage seems like a waste, considering the glacier isn't visible from the Visitor's Center. And Matanuska supposedly charges hefty entrance admission..(WTF?!) Whaddya think?? Any self-guided tours (i.e. hiking) in Seward/Kenai-Fjord area I could do by myself??

Turnagain Arm drive? Places to stop? Well-traversed trail areas??

Any other places within two or so hours of ANC? Or IN ANC proper worth visiting? I plan to visit Earthquake Park, as well as the TK Coastal Trail. Are moose threatening? Will I see any?

Please..any other suggestions MUCHO appreciated. I am trying to cram as much as possible into this voyage. Vick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 05:12 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
Just the drive to Seward is nice. There is a trail where you can hike up above exit glacier and look down upon it. Usually mountain goats in the area. Talkeetna is only like 3 hour drive from Anchorage. Just a couple miles from the actual town is a pulloff where Denali can be viewed, or turn right and go into the lodge. Out back is another nice view of Denali. Lot's of trails along the highway going to Seward. Depending on the weather you should find one you like. I have yet to make the drive to Valdez so I'm not sure what to tell you. Driving along the Matanuska River and the glacier is very scenic. You top out on one of those hills and your looking right at it. But they are doing road work/blasting in that area and you may get held up 30 min at a time,,,and drive a couple miles of rough road. You might even consider driving to Homer. Some great views of the volcanoes along the coast.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 AM

152 posts, read 457,466 times
Hello DietitianVicky

I would Highly recommend a whale/glacier tour out of Seward, also in Seward is the sea life center, as for hiking there are some trails by exit glacier and a trail of to the top of a mountain in Seward itself. If you like fishing or eagle watching homer might make a good day trip, the drive down there is all along the coast with great views of the mountains. the drive to Valdaz is really nice but in my opinion too long for a day trip.

as for north, Talkeetna is nice and there is a chance of seeing mt. Denali from some viewing points in the area. also there is independence mine that make a good drive high in the mountains.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
we loved our visit to Seward we went to exit glacier and a dog sled camp and the sea life center
I have pictures posted in the other topics thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM

30 posts, read 143,876 times
The drive to Seward is beautiful. If you do only trip from Anchorage, this is it. From Seward, you can take a whale watching cruise or fishing charter. If you have time, head down the peninsula to Homer. There is no reason to go to Palmer, Eagle River, or Wasilla. I mean if you really had to go there (for family reasons or something), you could find a few things to do, but if your time is limited and you have no obligation - skip the Mat Valley (or just drive by on your way to Denali).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska