U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,115,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Iditarod 2012: Koyuk

Posted on March 12, 2012
The push up the Coast. Trails have been very soft for the front runners, so a few more of them have been taking shorts rests along the way. Aaron Burmeister took 4 hours in Shaktoolik, while John Baker and Mitch only too about 2 hrs. Dallas took a 2 hour rest on the ice coming over here. The only 2 mushers who have done a hard push over to Koyuk are Aliy Zirkle and right now Ken Anderson is on his way. He is known to run strong on the coast and has set up his dogteam well to pull of a few long runs. After running in the middle of the pack for much of the race, Ken has now pushed his way into the Top 10, same counts for Ramey Smyth.

A funny side story: When Aaron decided to take a break a few years ago, he has skipped the last 2 Iditarods, he sold his team to Dallas Seavey, who is now leading the race. Coming into the Checkpoints, Dallas is running as single leader, called Elim, which is Aarons old leader. So it looks like he is getting beat by his own dogs. Aaron himself is running a new supestar lead called Ruger, a big 75 pound male, with a rather clumsy gate, but a big heart who puts it all on the line for Aaron, also arriving here in single lead. Aaron must have carried half a cooler full of food over from Shaktoolik, as he dished out a meal as soon as he arrived here. His dogs wolfed it down, little Moss actually getting into a squabble with her neighbor over it. Moss is the sister to Ruger, about half his size. Remmy is another dog of that litter, which I guess you know the theme by now, who has developed into a nice lead dog for Aaron, just being shy with people, he has to take him out of lead driving into checkpoints.
While Aaron is getting his snowsuit dried out, its soaking wet with sweat from him skipoling hard, Aliy and Dallas are both up and packing up, planning to leave soon. I think the race for 1st place in now between those 2 mushers. John Baker and Mitch Seavey are hot on Aarons hells. Peter Kaiser took an almost 3 hr rest in Shaktoolik, which will keep the speed in his team. Pete has been posting some very fast runtimes. I still think he is in the hunt for a Top 3 position. With 170 miles left, there is still quite a bit of ground to be made up.
Iditarod 2012: Koyuk | iditatracker.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:43 AM

Teams, including Lance, are staking up in Shaktoolik, wind is terribly bad and the temp is dropping.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,620,223 times
Don't see how Aliy is going to catch a fired up Dallas. He'll have a pretty good head start out of White Mountain.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM

Unless something unfortunate happens, I think she's good for second.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM

878 posts, read 1,313,834 times
I have read, on this forum, of abuses against sled dogs by certain kennels. Is it a safe bet that most of these mushers care deeply for the animals, or am I living in dreamland? I realize this is probably not a question that can be accurately answered here, but I like to think these people love their dogs as much as I do, and treat them like royalty.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 PM

Nomadic, I am not saying that there isn't bad apples in the mushing world like as in any profession but be assured these dogs are very expensive, cost a lot for premium racing kibble, vet care, year round, mushing and entry fees, etc. Most mushers care for their dogs better then themselves! You don't beat your investment.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/426847_293348280734989_100001794576251_698803_1328 674095_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM

2,517 posts, read 5,606,421 times
These dogs are well treated. The ones that are in the race that is.

I grew up with sled dogs way back in the day before the snowmachine. In those days the dogs were mostly well treated also. But if a dog wouldn't pull it didn't get to stay around. They weren't mistreated...they were just "culled". Just like any domesticated animal on a farm is eventually "culled".

Yes, the mushers treat the dogs well. If they aren't treated well they will not run well. And some of the mushers treat all their dogs as pets and find foster homes for the ones that don't work out. But they do go through a lot of dogs.

I showed a house last month that had taken in one of the Iditarod dogs that was no longer up to racing. That dog had it made, it was resting on one of the boys beds and barely lifted it's head to watch us when we went in the room.

On the other-hand, it's a dog, not a human. Just like the 4Her loves the calf, they also realize that it's a cow, not a human.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 PM

878 posts, read 1,313,834 times
If by culling, you mean euthanized, or worse, that falls under abuse in my book. If you mean removing from the gene pool, and finding a home, that's fine.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 5,606,421 times
I can't speak for them now. I know in the old days they were "euthanized". No one would take a dog that wouldn't pull. There were not ANY dogs in the town that were not work dogs. Our dogs were friendly and one was occasionally allowed in the house but in those days I don't think any dogs in town were "house trained" They lived outside year around. They had houses that were full of straw in the winter and seemed to manage fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska