U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,747,089 times

Advertisements

Where in the world do you work where this is something you need to find a "true answer" for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 PM

15,308 posts, read 24,069,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybrooks View Post
theres a million people probably on this cite everyday and none of them have the answer i'm sorry for my rudeness i was just so irritated i was on the computer all day looking for the answer but i just couldn't find it.i really need this answer for me to pass this exam at work.
The answer is very simple: "every person has a different reason"

And since "theres a million people probably in this cite everyday," more than likely those who post in this forum to answer the question will have a different answer.

For example, a lot of us moved to Alaska by the military. That's my reason.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM

6,996 posts, read 9,528,471 times
Quote:
theres a million people probably on this cite everyday and none of them have the answer i'm sorry for my rudeness i was just so irritated i was on the computer all day looking for the answer but i just couldn't find it.i really need this answer for me to pass this exam at work.
well if you have an instructor who wants such a definitive answer than the instructor is an a$$... the reasons for everyone are different unless you want to add back in your comment about "before Alaska was a state".

Old 05-15-2011, 05:24 PM

1,978 posts, read 2,827,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenaiSons
We moved here because we love winter and because we wanted away from the Lower 48 and the idiots that it's breeding. We love it here especially hubby w/the fishing and now he will go hunting this fall

sadly though those idiots from lower 48 are moving up here and whining about how backwards it is and wanting to change it. we moved here because of the way it is and do not want it changed at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla
This seems to be a fairly common sentiment among recent transplants.
I would say that is an extremely positive sign, wouldn't you?

I think it's excellent if more and more people really are moving to a place and wanting to see it stay the same. Ask arctichomesteader about what happened to Vermont thanks to a bunch of people from elsewhere coming and changing it to fit their liking. I have been saying (and still say) that Alaska is too extreme and harsh of a place for most people. Therefore, Alaska is not in the same kind of danger of ruination as places like Vermont and Oregon. Most people I talk to down here, when I tell them that I am hoping to move to Alaska, their first question is, "Why in the hell would you wanna do that?" To me, it is a good sign that they respond that way. It means they won't be coming up there.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 PM

348 posts, read 791,630 times
Well they are coming there and to my state of Idaho. And they want to change the place too. The problem is they know nothing about where they are moving too. And how could they? They never grew up An Alaskan. Or an Idahoan. They have no clue what it took for someone to live a life in that area. To be very remote. To be self reliant. Idaho winters are a piece of cake compared to Alaska. It's why were getting the California treatment here. I hope it does not head your way! I got my place picked out. But it's not Alaska....

Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 PM

5,963 posts, read 9,682,075 times
Quote:
How do you expect one person to know why others do something?????

Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 PM

18,611 posts, read 23,432,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I would say that is an extremely positive sign, wouldn't you?

I think it's excellent if more and more people really are moving to a place and wanting to see it stay the same. Ask arctichomesteader about what happened to Vermont thanks to a bunch of people from elsewhere coming and changing it to fit their liking. I have been saying (and still say) that Alaska is too extreme and harsh of a place for most people. Therefore, Alaska is not in the same kind of danger of ruination as places like Vermont and Oregon. Most people I talk to down here, when I tell them that I am hoping to move to Alaska, their first question is, "Why in the hell would you wanna do that?" To me, it is a good sign that they respond that way. It means they won't be coming up there.
In a way, but it does seem common for people who just moved here to want the borders to close behind them.

Kind of what's happened in parts of Oregon, Montana, and Vermont has happened on this island; wealthy people have bought summer homes. But I think they tend to be a different "type" than most of those who have moved to the other states mentioned, and they don't live here year round. The average resident barely knows they're here. They have driven up property values, which makes it tough for anyone moving here trying to get started.

There are things I really value about the lower 48 though, and I wouldn't give up Oregon for anything. Doesn't mean I want this island to have those things.

I guess the change I've noticed the most is the increase in nosy cops and the attitude I see among some of the state Troopers who seem to think this is their own little personal micro-police state. I was outside with one of my dogs the other night and a cop stopped and asked if that was my dog. No reason other than that the dog was loose. Another one...a couple of years ago....stopped my son while he was walking another of our dogs and started to question him a little more than he should have. What was he doing there, etc. He was on land that belongs to his own family. years ago, the cop would have known it was my dog and the other cop would have known who owned the land my son was walking on. Now, they just send rookie cops out here to be trained. And then there was that trooper a couple years ago thinking he was the last word on halibut.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 PM

15,308 posts, read 24,069,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
In a way, but it does seem common for people who just moved here to want the borders to close behind them.

Kind of what's happened in parts of Oregon, Montana, and Vermont has happened on this island; wealthy people have bought summer homes. But I think they tend to be a different "type" than most of those who have moved to the other states mentioned, and they don't live here year round. The average resident barely knows they're here. They have driven up property values, which makes it tough for anyone moving here trying to get started.

There are things I really value about the lower 48 though, and I wouldn't give up Oregon for anything. Doesn't mean I want this island to have those things.

I guess the change I've noticed the most is the increase in nosy cops and the attitude I see among some of the state Troopers who seem to think this is their own little personal micro-police state. I was outside with one of my dogs the other night and a cop stopped and asked if that was my dog. No reason other than that the dog was loose. Another one...a couple of years ago....stopped my son while he was walking another of our dogs and started to question him a little more than he should have. What was he doing there, etc. He was on land that belongs to his own family. years ago, the cop would have known it was my dog and the other cop would have known who owned the land my son was walking on. Now, they just send rookie cops out here to be trained. And then there was that trooper a couple years ago thinking he was the last word on halibut.
The worst place I can think of about cops pushing people around in North Pole. When driving though North Pole, or just around the area (on Hurst Road, Dawson, Newby Road, right by Safaway in North Pole, or any other with a straight portion of road) make sure to follow the speed limit, and don't make any mistakes driving. I have never seen so many people getting tickets over anything. It's probably bad in some other areas of Alaska, but in my view North Pole and vicinity tops them all.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,747,089 times
Glennallen, and about 30 miles on either side of it, is known as a speed trap as well. And twice this spring we've had a bunch of state troopers here in Valdez in unmarked cars giving tickets out left and right. We've only got one trooper here usually, and he's pretty cool. Apparently we have a lot of cops for a town this size, but I hardly ever see them.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:17 PM

18,611 posts, read 23,432,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The worst place I can think of about cops pushing people around in North Pole. When driving though North Pole, or just around the area (on Hurst Road, Dawson, Newby Road, right by Safaway in North Pole, or any other with a straight portion of road) make sure to follow the speed limit, and don't make any mistakes driving. I have never seen so many people getting tickets over anything. It's probably bad in some other areas of Alaska, but in my view North Pole and vicinity tops them all.
I don't often see people pulled over here, but one time the troopers passed me going way too fast so I figured there was some emergency somewhere. Then a few minutes later I drove by the coffee place and there was the trooper vehicle at the drive through there...it was about five minutes until they closed so I guess they wanted to make sure they got there in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska