U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 AM

773 posts, read 517,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAuke View Post
*Shrug*
Medical people in general do not tend to have extraordinary difficulty finding jobs.
Yes, someone cold calling you and offering to pay your way to Alaska is a pipe dream. If you do work in medicine (and I don't see where the OP ever mentioned her career) and you are good at what you do, I can guarantee that there are a lot of recruiters who would love for you to call them.
In the lab I work at, it's hard to get permanent technical staff and about half our staff are temps that are hired from out of state, called "travelers." They do a year, six month, etc rotation and then move on, and we have to find someone else.
That would be my dream job in Alaska, to work there on rotation. I'm hoping that once my series sells, I can write there part time in the winter.

The ex-H actually did get called by Big Oil to take a position in upper level management in Anchorage I was the poor sap who had to hustle to get a job once we moved there. Ex-H for a reason you can probably guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 PM

1,205 posts, read 816,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherishedtiger View Post
My husband and I are dreaming (vividly) of moving. Getting the heck out of California and living how we want. We are both in our 30's here because, well this is where our parents are or were. We both have realized, this city life isn't for us. We have both lived in other areas, some even more suburban or even rural.
We both like rural, where winter is winter and summer is enjoyed and Spring and Fall actually exist.
Of course, it comes down to where... we have our list of dream places, the consist of (in no particular order):
Montana
Alaska
Idaho
Texas
Pretty much anyplace other than California.
Don't get me wrong, I love it here and I'm not saying a relocation to AK has to be prohibitively difficult. But I would say unless you have a reason to move to AK as opposed to other options, you should look at other options. Moving to Alaska is much more logistically difficult and requires making big lifestyle adjustments. Cost of living is higher compared to the other states on your list. Employment options are limited (outside of a specific few in-demand fields) outside of the cities, and you say you want to live rural. Also, springs and falls here are beautiful but very, very short.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 AM

1,342 posts, read 804,039 times
Boise is nice. Texas has more than one climate as Amarillo is north of Chattanooga, TN, though, yes, you can get south, as the tip is over 100 miles south of Orlando.

Wherever you go, rent first. Be an apartment nomad if you can afford it (or tolerate the lifestyle of working jobs you don't want for less money than you want.)

Alaska is far away. Remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska