Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 13,458 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to possibly relocate to Alaska.

Yes I know I could continue searching on Google and things alike, but getting first hand info from folks who live in AK to me is much Better !!!!

I could relocate easily to Fairbanks, possibly to Anchorage or Juneau, and there is even a location with my work to Dillingham and Sitka.

I have been thinking about this for some time now. But really just the not knowing the unknown worries me. I do not or will not have family anywhere close to that far away, I have mainly lived up and down the east coast, but recently just picked up and relocated to Kansas, and find its wonderful but still not what I am looking for. I have and was prior US Navy, so relocating to an unknown area is not what worries me, but relocating with my child a different, as when I relocated so quickly in the past I didnt have her.
I really really like everything I read and see about alaska, and grew up with a childhood friend who grew up in Anchorage, AK and spent summers in Georgia, she loved it and still has awesome things to say about AK, which makes me like it more. I know I should take a trip before making any decisions, obviously, and that is in the works to being planned. .. but really would like to know any things about cities above in AK that I could relocate too.

I really want just an all around good place to raise my daughter, with good schools and a safe place being a #1. I love the scenery of the pictures posted by other people in different places in Alaska. I know I also would like to be able to travel to the US during holidays fairly easily. My daughter is into figure skating so year round skating is another thing I really really would like to have fairly close to where I relocate.

Basically any information that would help making this decision any easier would be greatly appreciated. As I know this will not be anything sudden and just beginning my research, but hoping to make a trip to either Anchorage or Fairbanks in March or April ?? Thinking this will help

Thanks in advance for any information
Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 03:49 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Read all the other "moving to Alaska" threads on here.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Best advice for you, come visit in the middle of winter before you decide. This ain't Kansas.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:23 PM

6 posts, read 13,458 times
Thanks I will do that

Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'sMommy View Post
Thanks I will do that
Whatever you do make sure that you have a job before you arrive, because employment, although better than a lot of places in the lower-48, is beginning to follow the lower-48 employment's trend.

Schools probably are safer than in a lot of other states or cities, but the level of education isn't any better.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:04 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Anchorage schools are good. Drug use is kept to a minimum and the police here are dedicated. Bus services are minimal but school buses are plentiful. People are outgoing, concerned about their neighbors and friendly. Renting is very expensive purchasing a home is reasonable and interest rates are good. the anchorage crime map on google will easily show you where to avoid.

I would not recommend living in the bush (smaller communities) if you have health conditions. Medical care in Anchorage is very good and the pediatrics at Providence Med Center is very good also. Employer sponsored health plans are the only way to go. Alaska is a fee for service without managed care so medical care is very expensive. Crimes against women are high in certain areas but the crime map will help with that along with other threads on this site.

Seasons are distinct, with Fall lasting anywhere from 1 to 7 weeks. Winter is cold bordering on frigid some weeks. Fairbanks is colder (really). We got up to 80 in Eagle River this year and spring and summer were spectacular.

It is a unique place to live pretty beyond words. I am pretty sure you and your family would have fun here.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:18 PM

89 posts, read 167,858 times
You mean you want to be able to travel to the lower 48? You're in the US in Alaska, you stated you'd like to be able to travel to the US for holidays but you are in the US as Alaska is part of the United States of America.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoistoFairbanks View Post
You mean you want to be able to travel to the lower 48? You're in the US in Alaska, you stated you'd like to be able to travel to the US for holidays but you are in the US as Alaska is part of the United States of America.
But Canada is not the US. Alaska is not CONUS.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:41 PM

89 posts, read 167,858 times
Its still the United States of America not a foreign country so if you live in Alaska you live in the United States of America.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoistoFairbanks View Post
Its still the United States of America not a foreign country so if you live in Alaska you live in the United States of America.
That's true, but don't forget that most times if one drives from AK to the lower-48, one must drive through Canada. That was my only point, and agree with you about the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska