Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:01 AM

41 posts, read 188,092 times

Advertisements

Excuse me: that should read that "while some deck hands can make $100K per year".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 08:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Every season, there are guys walking up and down the piers looking for jobs, and some don't get one. Having a round trip ticket is only insurance. Being stranded in Dutch is hard on you and your ego. Show up early at the docks. Anyone who isn't walking the docks at 6 AM isn't showing willingness. 12 noon says you are lazy, and couldn't care less. Ask names from crew members of other boats and skippers, pass the names on to other guys if you can't make it there. Help is passed around.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:22 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Read carefully what itdincor says. He is right on the money.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 77,610 times
Wow, ok, lots of info...
So, I've been in carpentry for several years, there a chance for that up there? I'm still interested in the fishing, but if it looks like I'll have to wait it out, and do some one on one inquiry's.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
So, I've been in carpentry for several years, there a chance for that up there?
In some parts of the state, they are simply begging for people with good carpentry skills. I know guys who've been making serious bank here in SE lately.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 13,738 times
I own a boat in Kodiak, my fellow skippers and I are always looking for a few good men...I can point you in the right direction if your still interested in the spring....My operating area is Kodiak to Bristol Bay

Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,511 times
jsal70,

I am looking for a deckhand job. Can you help me get in touch with a skipper that is looking for help. I am looking for a spot on a crab boat if possible. You can e-mail me from my profile. Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,361 times
Hi I'm Emiliano, from Italy and I'm 20, first of all sorry for my english not very good.
I want to work in Alaska as deckhand but I would accept other job in the fishing field also. However I'm thinking to come there to Naknek and when I'll be there looking for a job, all this without a permit for work due to problem with time and because is really complicated to get it. What do you think about it? I bet you think it is too risky, isn't?
But I don't make it for money, I would make it because I really have the passion for fishing, because I really love the wild places and the hard work is an hounor for me, I need of this journey for to put myself to the test. If you have some help for me, like someone available to hire me, or at least available to know me for understand if I can work whit him...thank you.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthigan View Post
Hi I'm Emiliano, from Italy and I'm 20, first of all sorry for my english not very good.
I want to work in Alaska as deckhand but I would accept other job in the fishing field also. However I'm thinking to come there to Naknek and when I'll be there looking for a job, all this without a permit for work due to problem with time and because is really complicated to get it. What do you think about it? I bet you think it is too risky, isn't?
But I don't make it for money, I would make it because I really have the passion for fishing, because I really love the wild places and the hard work is an hounor for me, I need of this journey for to put myself to the test. If you have some help for me, like someone available to hire me, or at least available to know me for understand if I can work whit him...thank you.
No one, on land or sea, will hire a foreigner without the right papers to be working, unless they want to risk becoming felons. It's illegal...

Old 05-30-2008, 12:26 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
That is unarguably the most dangerous job on the planet. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the guys that run the crab boats. I can honestly say that I wouldn't make it two days. Watching those guys hang off the side of the boat in huge waves tying down pots. Wow! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska