Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

I thought that was Bethel where they did that, Warpt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
lol

Old 11-23-2009, 06:08 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabaean0 View Post
I have been on the same quest as you as far as looking to get my foot into the fishing industry if I gather any details as to how I would let you know and hopefully you give your fellow human being the same courtesy. Thank You
Arkansas, catfish and noodlin'!! It's right there at your doorstep!!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
1. first off,,,never refer to "rain gear" as "rain suit",,,,,,,they'll know you're a "green horn" right off.
2. buy "extra tuff" boots and wear them awhile befor showing yourself around the docks.
3. I would go to seattle and browse around,,,,,,,,,,most every boat winters in seattle, then goes north.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 AM

7 posts, read 49,806 times
Hi, my name is Alex i'm 21 years old, i live in Romania, can someone tell me how can i get a job as a deckhand if i'm out of the states? i heard that Alaskan skippers take people form all over the world, can anyone please help me on how do i get to talk with a skipper so he can hire me? if anyone can help please send me an email a_vain.attack@yahoo.com thx

Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
I have several years experience on fishing Boats. I am very serious about wanting to go to Alaska. If anyone has a connection please let me know. call 3602701464

Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdanwalker View Post
I have several years experience on fishing Boats. I am very serious about wanting to go to Alaska. If anyone has a connection please let me know. call 3602701464

Send a Postcard to the Harbor Master of the town you want to live/work in. Ask them to post it on the bulletin board.

List your qualifications and maybe one of the Boat captains will read it and call you.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2019, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 1,738 times
Replying to ken... anyone that has put all there ducks in leaving home with nothing but a one way ticket knows what your saying is the best information... there’s nothing like getting stuck in a place that you know no one and starving to death... not to mention the climate... a buddy of mine lived in Florida and watched a season of deadliest catch... he lived with mom and went to the beach everyday... then i picked on him and said... how does it feel to watch real men actually work... he said to me that he’s a real man... I said okay want to prove it? And he said oo yea I do..he said... I’ll go catch king crab... and I said if that doesn’t work? He told me to my face... with him having no hunting skill... no trapping skill... no fishing skill and no survival skill... and the only skill he has on the water was on his dads yacht and surfing (meaning his dad operated the boat) also meaning no skills on the water he left with a backpack... a plane ticket... a hoodie... 2 pairs of jeans and a hoodie... as soon as he got to AK he called and asked if I could wire him some money... I didn’t send any... I flew up and I took him to no mans land... I traded with some natives and showed him that money isn’t the most important thing in the world... then I traded a few more things more needed items... I showed him how to wind proof a tent with sod mod and packing shrub and even showed him how to fish, clean meat, and start a fire... then one night I looked him right in the eye and said... if I didn’t come when I did you would have died... then pulled out the most important part... my return ticket... he said thank god and I said I have mine... I didn’t bring one for you... he asked me what he should do... I said sell everything... you have gold here and you don’t even see it... so he did... he bought a one way ticket back home and I told him... being a fool doesn’t make you a man... surviving and taking care of yourself with morals and respect... that’s what makes you a man... the guys on deadliest catch or the ones that work on the berring sea those guys are bad a****s....

Old 09-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewHavamal View Post
Replying to ken... anyone that has put all there ducks in leaving home with nothing but a one way ticket knows what your saying is the best information... there’s nothing like getting stuck in a place that you know no one and starving to death... not to mention the climate... a buddy of mine lived in Florida and watched a season of deadliest catch... he lived with mom and went to the beach everyday... then i picked on him and said... how does it feel to watch real men actually work... he said to me that he’s a real man... I said okay want to prove it? And he said oo yea I do..he said... I’ll go catch king crab... and I said if that doesn’t work? He told me to my face... with him having no hunting skill... no trapping skill... no fishing skill and no survival skill... and the only skill he has on the water was on his dads yacht and surfing (meaning his dad operated the boat) also meaning no skills on the water he left with a backpack... a plane ticket... a hoodie... 2 pairs of jeans and a hoodie... as soon as he got to AK he called and asked if I could wire him some money... I didn’t send any... I flew up and I took him to no mans land... I traded with some natives and showed him that money isn’t the most important thing in the world... then I traded a few more things more needed items... I showed him how to wind proof a tent with sod mod and packing shrub and even showed him how to fish, clean meat, and start a fire... then one night I looked him right in the eye and said... if I didn’t come when I did you would have died... then pulled out the most important part... my return ticket... he said thank god and I said I have mine... I didn’t bring one for you... he asked me what he should do... I said sell everything... you have gold here and you don’t even see it... so he did... he bought a one way ticket back home and I told him... being a fool doesn’t make you a man... surviving and taking care of yourself with morals and respect... that’s what makes you a man... the guys on deadliest catch or the ones that work on the berring sea those guys are bad a****s....
The last post made on this thread was nearly 8 years ago, I doubt Ken is even around to see it.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Andrew:

Please use your "enter" key more often in future. Thanks.

Sincerely,
My Eyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska