Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,882,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Never kill anything if you are not going to eat it. Those that hook fish and torment them..then toss the creature back into the water injured...some of which die later are idiots..you catch it - you eat it.

When we were kids growing up on the lake..no one ever thought of catching a fish then tossing it back in the water..we fished for a reason. Sure it was fun and sporty..but it also helped us stay healthy. Sport hunters and fishermen think they are conserving wild life when all they do is stress nature out for no good reason other than some cheap little thrill. The remind me of adult versions of kids that shoot birds with their BB gun. Killing for fun is really not manly.
Let me clarify my use of the term "sport hunter" in a previous post. I certainly did not mean it the way you have used it in this post. If you are going to hunt - you should intend to kill cleanly - and to eat what you kill. I make a distinction between those who hunt for subsistence and those who hunt for sport. There seems to be some attitude that sport hunters are evil because they do not need the meat for survival as the subsistence hunter does. This is not so - sport hunters are not only killing for a "thrill" - they are respectful caretakers of the wilderness, help maintain habitat balance, and do not waste the animal that they kill. There are a few bad apples - but for the most part - hunters are responsible, ethical, defenders of wildlife.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
I don't know, do you? Did he give to locals or take it home?
The locals aren't all that interested in bear meat. Fish-eating black bear just isn't that good. Black bear in places where they get more vegetation in their diet taste a lot better.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM

811 posts, read 1,305,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He won't be in prison - Mitt will win the election.
I agree, I would rather see someone beside Mitt in office. I am very Conservative. Less big .gov and less taxes.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:48 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,882,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Do you know that for a fact? Or is this sarcasm? Sorry, I had to ask. I have a hard time picking up humor easily.
I could ask the same thing about your post where you asked how long he would be in prison - a clear reference to Nugent's statement that he would be dead or in prison if President Obama is re-elected. So, I ask you: do you know for a fact that President Obama will be re-elected? Or was that sarcasm?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,760,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I've never understood the "catch and release" approach to fishing, either. If you love to fish, fish for something you - or someone - will actually eat. The justification is always that it protects game fish for tomorrow, but wouldn't that be just as easily accomplished by leaving them alone?

Certain types of fish will swallow the hook or lure ---and fishermen will cut the line and toss them back and say "The hook will disappear in time and the fish will be fine"- That is not going to happen. I would estimate that half he fish tossed back have an injury that will kill them...and you are right...just leave them alone..

Some hunters buy into the idea that say - there are to many deer..and they need to cull them to sustain the herd. Nature will take care of that on it's own. These guys act like they respect nature..they don't even know what it really is. They remind me of radical Muslims and other religions that - disrespect God by insinuating he is weak and not all mighty...and needs some help killing off the bad people...nature does not needs mans adjustments or assistance anymore than God needs hit men.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And how do you think that's going to impact the guides or the regs in SE? Do you think that F&G reads the hunting forums as a way to decide policy? By the way, you claimed it will have some effect on the guides in SE. Again, do you know them?

Real hunters don't use bear bait.
Bear baiting is very common all over Alaska, and so hunting "denning."

Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I could ask the same thing about your post where you asked how long he would be in prison - a clear reference to Nugent's statement that he would be dead or in prison if President Obama is re-elected. So, I ask you: do you know for a fact that President Obama will be re-elected? Or was that sarcasm?
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was asking a real question. I wasn't paying attention to his comment about "he would be dead or in prison" comment. When I was mentioning prison, I was talking specifically about his crime of killing a bear out of season, for sport of all things. I wasn't even thinking about his prison or dead comment.

I don't know for a fact that President Obama will be re-elected either. I don't know what's going to happen. I don't like to predict that stuff. There are probabilities, but not a definite, at least in my opinion.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM

811 posts, read 1,305,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Funny how for 8 years during GW Bush, we were told by countless degenerates like Michael Moore and Hillary Clinton - and repeated gleefully by the MSM - that calling for Bush's assasination was a patriotic expression of first admendment rights.

Now the Libs have gone off the charts apoplectic. The word hypocrisy doesn't even come close anymore.
Are these the same liberals that were letting mink out of the mink farms and they were dieing in the wild. Or the same liberals that set the helicopters on fire in the Western US for logging?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Bear baiting is very common all over Alaska, and so hunting "denning."
Real hunters don't use bear bait.

And I seriously don't know why anyone in SE would even have to.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When I was mentioning prison, I was talking specifically about his crime of killing a bear out of season, for sport of all things. I wasn't even thinking about his prison or dead comment.
That's how I read your comment...anyway, he won't go to prison; he didn't get any jail time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska