Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
You know what I love about this place? It's so wretched, dark, cold and hard, that it makes the people here appreciative of the small things. Like a cup of hot coffee, or a good fire going in the stove, or you know, anything that is warm. I do love it here
I could not agree with you more. Some of last summer's days were so special. Every day an adventure.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:09 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
all of anchorage's residents used to be homeless...by today's definition, that is...

imagine that! living in tents, getting by any way possible...

Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
This was home when I built my cabin... -40 at nights, and +30 during the days, guess that meant I was homeless then having to live in a tent... in the Wilderness at that...

Old 12-16-2009, 10:14 PM

114 posts, read 268,172 times
Default Simple warm things

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
You know what I love about this place? It's so wretched, dark, cold and hard, that it makes the people here appreciative of the small things. Like a cup of hot coffee, or a good fire going in the stove, or you know, anything that is warm. I do love it here
I live on the Oregon Coast and agree wholeheartedly with all that. And a good dog at your feet and a splash of Grandma's "recipie" in that cuppa joe. . A lot of folks think my place looks like a homeless camp. but I own it, and all my friends and relatives living in trailers out in my woods are clever, handy, helpful people who happen to look a little rough around the edges. Scares off the flatlanders for some reason. Maybe it's the banjos.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 PM

39 posts, read 74,701 times
Hi everybody I'm new to this particular section I have a few questions and concerns. Pardon me if they have already been answered before. I've been thinking about coming up there for quite some time but after reading all this I don't know if it is a good idea. I hope I don't sound like the typical lower 48 pipedreamer. Is it true that many Alaskans turn up their noses at newcomers?I have done a lot of research on Alaska, it's history, and more recently been more seriously thinking about coming up there but these boards are sure discouraging. I didn't expect it to be cheap to live up there but wow is it expensive. I really liked the sound of Juneau but it seems to be the most expensive of all. Anchorage is too big I've already lived in big cities I hate it. I am a hardworking 29 year old male with a diverse skillset. I'm an advance computer user when it comes to setup diagnostic and repair. I have some construction experience but I'm not a fan of heights. For some reason though I love being on top of mountains. I have tons of customer service/retail/hospitality experience. I am a quick learner and get excited learning new things. I am not loud or obnoxious and I rarely drink. I like the company of people but I also love to be alone. I've lived in the cold before although not quite Alaska cold. I love and respect nature and I want to be surrounded by it and I would sacrifice personal comforts to fulfill that desire. I am very simple and don't need material excess to be happy.

I'm not sure where I am going with this, It looks like I turned it into a one way job interview lol.
I guess what I'm asking is based on the very limited information you have about me from this post, where might I fit in best as far as the skills I have and the personality of the towns. I have looked at some other links posted in other sections and they are helpful but maybe this post will reach somebody who has an opportunity for somebody like me. Having a dog will hinder my search and surely make things more expensive. It might be too cold for a Weimaraner anyway.

If I never make it there I will always dream about it, and continue being miserable in this place I call home for now. I don't expect Alaska to fix my problems but there is nothing more motivating to me than a new place with different culture.

Talk me out of it or talk me into it!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:21 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngels View Post
Hi everybody I'm new to this particular section I have a few questions and concerns. Pardon me if they have already been answered before. I've been thinking about coming up there for quite some time but after reading all this I don't know if it is a good idea. I hope I don't sound like the typical lower 48 pipedreamer. Is it true that many Alaskans turn up their noses at newcomers?I have done a lot of research on Alaska, it's history, and more recently been more seriously thinking about coming up there but these boards are sure discouraging. I didn't expect it to be cheap to live up there but wow is it expensive. I really liked the sound of Juneau but it seems to be the most expensive of all. Anchorage is too big I've already lived in big cities I hate it. I am a hardworking 29 year old male with a diverse skillset. I'm an advance computer user when it comes to setup diagnostic and repair. I have some construction experience but I'm not a fan of heights. For some reason though I love being on top of mountains. I have tons of customer service/retail/hospitality experience. I am a quick learner and get excited learning new things. I am not loud or obnoxious and I rarely drink. I like the company of people but I also love to be alone. I've lived in the cold before although not quite Alaska cold. I love and respect nature and I want to be surrounded by it and I would sacrifice personal comforts to fulfill that desire. I am very simple and don't need material excess to be happy.

I'm not sure where I am going with this, It looks like I turned it into a one way job interview lol.
I guess what I'm asking is based on the very limited information you have about me from this post, where might I fit in best as far as the skills I have and the personality of the towns. I have looked at some other links posted in other sections and they are helpful but maybe this post will reach somebody who has an opportunity for somebody like me. Having a dog will hinder my search and surely make things more expensive. It might be too cold for a Weimaraner anyway.

If I never make it there I will always dream about it, and continue being miserable in this place I call home for now. I don't expect Alaska to fix my problems but there is nothing more motivating to me than a new place with different culture.

Talk me out of it or talk me into it!
I am not even going to try to psychoanalyze you for area or job placement, that is your job and live with the decisions. Alaska is full of transplants, outsiders...you make your own ya know....

I would have a job first, but who knows how long that lasts...find a place to rent near your job. Everything is going to cost more, so if you truly want to be in Alaska you make that work, then work from there to find where you truly want to be and be doing what you love. You answer to you first and good luck if you really want it

Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 PM

thanks grannysroost. I forgot to mention there will need to be an ice rink close by

Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
thanks grannysroost. I forgot to mention there will need to be an ice rink close by
Finding ice in Alaska in the winter is not hard.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Finding ice in Alaska in the winter is not hard.
I would hope not! Do you see people out there playing shinny on the ice?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
I would hope not! Do you see people out there playing shinny on the ice?
You should have really started a new thread for this, but what the hey is shinny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska