Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:30 PM

43 posts, read 161,671 times

Advertisements

Are there really homeless people in Alaska? does the Goverment really let people freeze on the streets of the cities during the winter? I would imagine that most homeless people positions are down her in the 48 .

Old 09-16-2007, 07:41 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
Yes, homeless folks in Alaska is a major issue. And no, we don't let them freeze. i could go on for hours about the demographics, etc, but yes, homeless people are up here.
But mostly of their own choosing.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
I've seen them on the streets of Fairbanks in the dead of winter. They are the flotsam of a society that can crush a person. There are shelters, but many seem to be afraid of what is required of them to reside there. Remember, people have survived in times past without the modern amenities, and these folks can, too. When they forget where they are (with alcohol and drugs) nature kills them and they become a statistic.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbud View Post
Are there really homeless people in Alaska? does the Goverment really let people freeze on the streets of the cities during the winter? I would imagine that most homeless people positions are down her in the 48 .
I suppose that all depends on how you define "homeless." Do out-of-state hikers and backpackers camping out in the summer count as "homeless?" They have no homes in Alaska. What about those Alaskans who live in the bush that have no home, do they also count as "homeless?" Or do only those who stay year-round living on the streets of some city count as "homeless?"

I suppose in the lower-48 meaning of the word "homeless", the latter would apply. In that case, yes, there are a few "homeless" in Alaska. Not as many as you might think. Some by choice, others by circumstance. Cities like Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau have privately run homeless shelters where they can take refuge and are open year-round.

There are people in Alaska, who have homes, that die from exposure every year so I wouldn't single out the "homeless" in that regard, nor would I consider it a "problem" that needs to be solved. It is just a fact of life.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 21,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I suppose that all depends on how you define "homeless." Do out-of-state hikers and backpackers camping out in the summer count as "homeless?" They have no homes in Alaska. What about those Alaskans who live in the bush that have no home, do they also count as "homeless?" Or do only those who stay year-round living on the streets of some city count as "homeless?"

I suppose in the lower-48 meaning of the word "homeless", the latter would apply. In that case, yes, there are a few "homeless" in Alaska. Not as many as you might think. Some by choice, others by circumstance. Cities like Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau have privately run homeless shelters where they can take refuge and are open year-round.

There are people in Alaska, who have homes, that die from exposure every year so I wouldn't single out the "homeless" in that regard, nor would I consider it a "problem" that needs to be solved. It is just a fact of life.
so very right on

Old 08-10-2009, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 22,832 times
I doubt any of you actually know a homeless person. I know a guy in his late twenties who sleeps in the woody areas of Anchorage. He hates the shelters because you have to check in early, and then stay there to keep your spot -because space is of course limited. I get the impression from him that its frigid cold in there, the blankets are thin, the cots suck, and people get robbed by the other numerous dudes in the room while they sleep. Its just a place they hate and resent. Most feel better in a tent in the woods, if they are lucky enough. He's told me that there are groups of homeless people who will collect old furniture together in secluded areas, and reside there. If so, one of them left their mattress on the stairs to the overpass. And his jack bottle. I was walking down the street and saw a homeless guy sleeping downtown on a closed shop's doorsteps. I see them sleeping on benches. My boyfriend found one guy dead on the pavement, facedown, by Midtown Carrs. And also there is a serial killer out there right now picking them off. But all of this happens. I guess its normal. Okey dokey. And they are mostly native. And mostly, no.. its not because they choose it. That's effed up to be walking around thinking that. I would hate myself. I've only met one guy who thought it was awesome to be homeless. He had aids. and he was a white alcoholic.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 21,098 times
i currently am a homeless person not cause of my own reasonings but cause i got layed off and then didnt have the money to continue paying rent and feeding myself. I have applyed to many different jobs in the last few months trying to get a job so i wont have to live in the cold this winter, but from the way the economy is ill be lucky to get something. The worst thing about being homeless is that you know that your dad is also homeless and now his son is also homeless but not for the same reasons. Well enjoy your homes everyone that makes fun of homeless people cause someday you might be out were i am and start wanting help and you wont get it.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf39 View Post
i currently am a homeless person not cause of my own reasonings but cause i got layed off and then didnt have the money to continue paying rent and feeding myself. I have applyed to many different jobs in the last few months trying to get a job so i wont have to live in the cold this winter, but from the way the economy is ill be lucky to get something. The worst thing about being homeless is that you know that your dad is also homeless and now his son is also homeless but not for the same reasons. Well enjoy your homes everyone that makes fun of homeless people cause someday you might be out were i am and start wanting help and you wont get it.
Who is making fun of homeless people in this forum?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
I've never made fun of the homeless. Too many people are one paycheck away from that condition. And more are getting there every day. When a society starts into economic fluctuation, it becomes a condition even more apparent than in boom times. Lack of jobs to escape homelessness is part and parcel of the current economic slowdown.

I am not ever going to put down or make fun of ANYONE in that condition, regardless of the reasons why they have become homeless, economic, mental condition or addiction. It is hard enough to survive in Alaska in a decent home if the job isn't a higher paying one. Cutting corners to make the rent and utilities and not being capable of saving a dime. I know that this isn't my condition, but I can sympathize and support the shelters that can at least give a family a warm place to sleep.

I also haven't seen anyone make fun of the homeless in this forum. Most of the people here are too nice to kick a person when they're down, and most would stop a poster that would do so short.

And Rance would probably pull the post.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,137 times
I feel for those that are truly homeless but I do have a question. They say they can't find work,I know 2 places right now in fairbanks that for as long as you will come to work sober they would hire you and one of them even let a person park their van in the parking area and use the electric hook up just to help the person get on their feet. Granted these places only pay about $9 per hour but wouldn't a job that pays that even if it was fast food or something be better than nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska