Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Native Alaskan concerned about future of state, cost of living, state’s ability to survive a major natural disaster, second highest crime rate in United States

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM

457 posts, read 1,011,397 times

Advertisements

For housing and Alaska Investing; northern rock - Low Rate Loans, Mortgages, Savings & Insurance

For Logistics, take precautions, wil we US lose the State.
Why not Alaska?
A year ago, I heard one “expert” on the radio recommend Alaska as a retreat destination because it has the lowest population density of any State, and has low taxes. IMHO, he couldn’t be more wrong! The biggest problem is that from an economic standpoint, Alaska is essentially a big offshore island. Many essential items are shipped or flown in. What happens when the ships and planes stop arriving? It won’t be pretty--at least not in Alaska's cities. (Ironically, although it is the most lightly populated state, Alaska has the second highest crime rate in the country!) Coastal Alaska is also earthquake prone. Further, you may think that because of the North Slope oil that the state will have plentiful fuel. Bzzzzzt! Wrong answer! There is insufficient refinery capacity of meet Alaska’s “domestic” needs, and insufficient transport to get refined fuels where they are needed. (Current transport is geared to distributing fuel and lubricants brought in from the Lower 48--not locally produced fuel and lubricants.) So the little fuel left in Alaska post-TEOTWAWKI will be jealously guarded--doubtless saved for critical tasks like running farm tractors and chain saws. So there will be virtually none available for fishing boats or between-town commerce.

In a long term collapse, the residents of Alaska's densely populated coastal cities will likely starve and/or freeze to death. Meanwhile, those in inland towns, albeit better fed, will be geographically isolated so that commerce with the coast will be difficult if not impossible. Bush pilots will eventually be grounded due to lack of fuel, lubricants and spare parts. The only people I foresee surviving are a few seasoned Sourdoughs and native tribe members that still have well-honed outdoor survival skills and are still capable of reverting to a self-sufficient mode. The best set up for this would be a small settlement on a clear water (non-glacial) stream with an active salmon run and a couple of productive “fish wheel” salmon traps.
Another consideration is that the Alaska Pipeline is vulnerable to frost heaving and rupture if the power grid goes down. (It is not widely known, but grid power is used to run thousands of refrigeration elements that keep the permafrost frozen around the pipeline supports.) My prediction: In the event of TEOTWAWKI, the Al-Can highway will have heavy traffic with heavily-laden pickup trucks carrying beau coup gas cans, going in both directions: Greenhorns from the lower 48 thinking that Alaska is the place to be and Alaskan Citizens who realize that Alaska is not a viable place to stay in a long term Crunch.

And Why Not Hawaii?
Just as in Alaska, what happens when the ships and planes stop arriving? Too much population (1,250,000 and growing!) and too little self-sufficiency. Lousy gun laws, too. The only thing that Hawaii has going for it is a mild climate and the fact that each island produces its own power—albeit with imported fuel. If and when the North American grid goes down, it will be something that Hawaiians will see reported on the evening news. Yes, I know, fish are plentiful and you can walk through the jungle and forage enough fruit in just an hour to feed your family for a day. But the two-legged predators will be out in force. It probably won't be safe to go out fishing or foraging. Perhaps the residents of some of the smaller islands will pull through a Crunch. Certainly they might on Ni`ihau--the small western island reserved for natives only and their traditional lifestyle--subsistence agriculture, and fishing. But of course: “Haoles need not apply…”

Really its OK, Please dont poopoo this cause we know all about that. Maybe address this in a positive , no adjectives, just pronouns and nouns and adverbs too. TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,856,452 times
Oh trust me, we will be the last to go. In a state plentiful with game animals and a nice summer growing season, plus all the oil and nat. gas gives us an upper-hand economy... We're set.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,355,292 times
As long as we have a few rolls of duct tape handy, we can fix anything!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM

18 posts, read 51,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post

The biggest problem is that from an economic standpoint, Alaska is essentially a big offshore island. Many essential items are shipped or flown in. What happens when the ships and planes stop arriving?
I just finished the last orange I bought at the grocery store (I'm currently in Texas). I glanced at the sticker on it that said it was from South Africa, as I ate it, I thought how it wasn't as sweet as the last oranges I bought at the same store that were from Australia.

The oranges I purchased prior to the Australian oranges were from California. The California oranges were sold by the pound just like the other oranges. The only difference, the California orange had a peel that was 3/8ths to 1/2th of an inch thick. Couldn't help but think that these oranges were bio-engineered to have a thicker peel to separate me from more of my money. Given a choice, I would have not purchased the overseas oranges if I had a choice of US oranges over them.

I used to own a trucking company. My trucks drove to the port in LaPorte near Houston and pickup loads of South American, Australian and New Zealand Beef.

So, I'd guess that I'm saying that you don't have to be on an island, or even in Alaska to depend on products being shipped in. Granted, being on an island or in Alaska does make the need for shipping products in a bit different than most places.

Ken

Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 AM

2,519 posts, read 6,998,056 times
Actually, we don't need a major catastrophe to creat havoc in South Central Alaska. All we need is a big enough earthquake during a cold snap to knock out power and gas.

Most people in Anchorage and in the valley are on gas with no bakc up heat system If they don't have power or gas most of the houses will freeze up. That will not create a life-threatening emergency but it sure will cause many millions in property damage.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:28 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,674,166 times
Quote:
For housing and Alaska Investing; northern rock - Low Rate Loans, Mortgages, Savings & Insurance

For Logistics, take precautions, wil we US lose the State.
Why not Alaska?
A year ago, I heard one “expert” on the radio recommend Alaska as a retreat destination because it has the lowest population density of any State, and has low taxes. IMHO, he couldn’t be more wrong! The biggest problem is that from an economic standpoint, Alaska is essentially a big offshore island. Many essential items are shipped or flown in. What happens when the ships and planes stop arriving? It won’t be pretty--at least not in Alaska's cities. (Ironically, although it is the most lightly populated state, Alaska has the second highest crime rate in the country!) Coastal Alaska is also earthquake prone. Further, you may think that because of the North Slope oil that the state will have plentiful fuel. Bzzzzzt! Wrong answer! There is insufficient refinery capacity of meet Alaska’s “domestic” needs, and insufficient transport to get refined fuels where they are needed. (Current transport is geared to distributing fuel and lubricants brought in from the Lower 48--not locally produced fuel and lubricants.) So the little fuel left in Alaska post-TEOTWAWKI will be jealously guarded--doubtless saved for critical tasks like running farm tractors and chain saws. So there will be virtually none available for fishing boats or between-town commerce.

In a long term collapse, the residents of Alaska's densely populated coastal cities will likely starve and/or freeze to death. Meanwhile, those in inland towns, albeit better fed, will be geographically isolated so that commerce with the coast will be difficult if not impossible. Bush pilots will eventually be grounded due to lack of fuel, lubricants and spare parts. The only people I foresee surviving are a few seasoned Sourdoughs and native tribe members that still have well-honed outdoor survival skills and are still capable of reverting to a self-sufficient mode. The best set up for this would be a small settlement on a clear water (non-glacial) stream with an active salmon run and a couple of productive “fish wheel” salmon traps.
Another consideration is that the Alaska Pipeline is vulnerable to frost heaving and rupture if the power grid goes down. (It is not widely known, but grid power is used to run thousands of refrigeration elements that keep the permafrost frozen around the pipeline supports.) My prediction: In the event of TEOTWAWKI, the Al-Can highway will have heavy traffic with heavily-laden pickup trucks carrying beau coup gas cans, going in both directions: Greenhorns from the lower 48 thinking that Alaska is the place to be and Alaskan Citizens who realize that Alaska is not a viable place to stay in a long term Crunch.

And Why Not Hawaii?
Just as in Alaska, what happens when the ships and planes stop arriving? Too much population (1,250,000 and growing!) and too little self-sufficiency. Lousy gun laws, too. The only thing that Hawaii has going for it is a mild climate and the fact that each island produces its own power—albeit with imported fuel. If and when the North American grid goes down, it will be something that Hawaiians will see reported on the evening news. Yes, I know, fish are plentiful and you can walk through the jungle and forage enough fruit in just an hour to feed your family for a day. But the two-legged predators will be out in force. It probably won't be safe to go out fishing or foraging. Perhaps the residents of some of the smaller islands will pull through a Crunch. Certainly they might on Ni`ihau--the small western island reserved for natives only and their traditional lifestyle--subsistence agriculture, and fishing. But of course: “Haoles need not apply…”

Really its OK, Please dont poopoo this cause we know all about that. Maybe address this in a positive , no adjectives, just pronouns and nouns and adverbs too. TY
Your killin me.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,380,484 times
Actually, Manmountain, your warning is appropriate. Alaska has its pros and cons if there should be a breakdown of society or services for whatever reason (natural disaster, terrorism, or war). People who are well prepared and knowledgeable might survive with fewer complications. Our remoteness and growing season are definite pluses for survivability. However, most people are not prepared for long-term loss of service, nor do they have the skills necessary for survival. I've even heard many native Alaskans in the bush lament the loss of survival skills and wilderness knowledge. Even the people in the bush heavily rely on technology and fuel.

Some think they are prepared with generators, etc., but the older people admit they have not taught the younger ones how to operate this equipment. I know very few people with alternate heating sources or even a reasonable supply of food. Few have spare parts for vehicles or equipment. Some don't even have appropriate footwear! In fact, this issue was addressed in my community about a year ago. The overwhelming response was that the local stores would be able to supply everything we need. Sadly, this is not the case, and it worried the storekeepers that people were so shortsighted.

Alaskans might be able to survive a short-term scenario, but I doubt that many would survive a long-term one.

Last edited by Blueberry; 09-18-2007 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: added a thought

Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 AM

457 posts, read 1,011,397 times
Thanks for the rational calm responses. Its really been on my mind concerning the move. Just lookin for answers is all. Im tempted to just ignore like the masses do , but that is irresponsible and dumb. Can you imagine spending a week in a gymnasium with 1000 other people?

Thanks,,,, that was fubby Rance

Old 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM

18 posts, read 51,808 times
[quote=Manmountain;1522668]Can you imagine spending a week in a gymnasium with 1000 other people? [/QUOTE

Or like the Superdome with 1000's, most of whom you wouldn't normally associate with or want your family around or even remotely close to.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:54 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,674,166 times
Quote:
Thanks for the rational calm responses. Its really been on my mind concerning the move. Just lookin for answers is all. Im tempted to just ignore like the masses do , but that is irresponsible and dumb. Can you imagine spending a week in a gymnasium with 1000 other people?

Thanks,,,, that was fubby Rance
Well I look at it like this. If the world/nation as we know it, did come to the point of having to live in a gym with a 1000 others...I would much rather do it here in Ak as anywhere else. We're all gonna die eventually. Why spend your life worrying about the inevitable? Get out and enjoy life now...while you can. Worry about that other stuff if/when it gets here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: